New speaker set up for computer desk. Bookshelf or Studio?

Harwin21

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I'm looking to get a new set up going for my computer/tv set up I have in my room. Space is limited in my room so I have my monitor on the desk and TV mounted on the wall right above it. Right now I'm using the internal speakers on both, but I want something much better. To start off my budget is about $400, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if needed.

I sit about 3-4 feet away from my screens and I've heard that's something to take into account when looking for speakers. I'm very much a novice when it comes to audio so I was hoping to find help here. People have suggested I get studio speakers for close range listening, but I know I can't connect those to a receiver due to the connections they use.

Ideally I would like to use the speakers for both the TV and Computer without having to swap cables. Again I'm a complete novice so any help from experienced people would be appreciated.

Solution
are you just looking for a pair bookshelves with a receiver then?

if you like bright detailed treble you might like klipsch and you can hear them at your local best buy to see if you like them. you should be able to find a decent receiver with the remaining budget to power them and give you future options as well. that would be a nice 2.1

of course there are other routes you could go if you dont want something too bright and wanted something a bit more mellow.

while some soundbars are okay if you have almost no space, they are a bit limiting when it comes to future upgradability which is why i often recommend speakers and receivers. your choice of course.

by studio speakers i'm thinking you meant powered monitors. they are nice if...
These money should get you a decent sound bar with multiple inputs. You should look for a unit which can pass-thru HDMI as well (so you can switch between TV and PC modes from the soundbar itself). Just make sure you can get audio out of your TV (you have probably seen that every other question here is "how to connect a soundbar to a TV").

Your budget should be enough for entry-level multimedia receiver, plus set of speakers, but it will take more space to place around.

are you just looking for a pair bookshelves with a receiver then?

if you like bright detailed treble you might like klipsch and you can hear them at your local best buy to see if you like them. you should be able to find a decent receiver with the remaining budget to power them and give you future options as well. that would be a nice 2.1

of course there are other routes you could go if you dont want something too bright and wanted something a bit more mellow.

while some soundbars are okay if you have almost no space, they are a bit limiting when it comes to future upgradability which is why i often recommend speakers and receivers. your choice of course.

by studio speakers i'm thinking you meant powered monitors. they are nice if you did not want to use a receiver however you are correct that if you wanted to create a 5.1 set in the future with a receiver you will have issues. if you wanted to use a receiver you will want passive speakers.

Solution