New speakers connect via HDMI, AVR has std connection

kaps

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
The new speakers I’m getting connects to AVR via HDMI but my AVR only has standard speaker connection. How do I connect the speakers?

Solution
All AVRs are designed to work with passive speakers except for the subwoofer. Some will have line level preamp outputs so you can upgrade the internal amplifiers with external ones. Those can be use with powered speakers but those will not have HDMI.
My guess is that your "new speakers" are either a HTS package or soundbar system. Neither is made to work with an AVR.
Get passive speakers or don't use the AVR.
If your speaker doesn't have the SPEAKER TYPE connectors then this speaker it not compatible with your AVR.

You maybe able to get away with it, if speaker has AUX-IN or LINE-IN, and AVR has LINE-OUT or AUX-OUT or PRE-OUT but you get STEREO sound only, no surround.

All AVRs are designed to work with passive speakers except for the subwoofer. Some will have line level preamp outputs so you can upgrade the internal amplifiers with external ones. Those can be use with powered speakers but those will not have HDMI.
My guess is that your "new speakers" are either a HTS package or soundbar system. Neither is made to work with an AVR.
Get passive speakers or don't use the AVR.

Solution