New Tesla Roadster 2.5, New Tesla Motors Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
"New features".. how about a new battery and vehicle design that will be economically viable for the average consumer.

"In this, I could have a lead-foot and not feel guilty about it."
Wow.. if you feel guilty about having a lead foot using a hydrocarbon vehicle...then Volcanoes should be disgusted with themselves. Maybe volcanoes can go green too. We should get Al on that ASAP!

andybird123

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]That looks just like a Lotus.[/citation]

that's because it is based on the Lotus chasis and shares 6 percent of it's parts with the Lotus Elise (which to me looks like the chasis and most of the body panels)

to comment on the article; so the 2.5 is entirely cosmetic - what they really need to improve is the batteries

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I saw one of the first ones on the street, thinking it was a Lotus until it whizzed by me completely silently. Very cool cars, IMO. Too bad it is 150,000.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Until electric cars are not charged by power stations they will never really be green.But good to know that when we have an emmission-free power generating infrastructure the cars will be waiting for us.Half way there, still a way to go yet.[/citation]
Agreed
They should show the carbon footprint made by the creation of this vehicle. Not that i believe in regulating carbon footprints, but the manufacturing of "green" tech is very new and usually takes more energy to create than conventional tech.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Until electric cars are not charged by power stations they will never really be green.But good to know that when we have an emmission-free power generating infrastructure the cars will be waiting for us.Half way there, still a way to go yet.[/citation]

the emissions generated by charging the car are nothing compared to burning petrol.

aron311

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Figures? Links? Research? For every hydro-electric dam or windfarm there must be a hundred others that burn coal.C'mon, we have had this debate on other forum topics and the margin isn't that big.[/citation]

I think he means that the energy extracted from the raw fuel is much more efficiently generated EVEN if it's produced in a coal power station and then transmitted over the grid than if you're producing the power on demand (with your IC engine) in your car. He is right.

Forgetting the carbon argument (which I personally strongly believe in), there is still a finite supply of coal/oil/gas.

Just a shame that making lithium batteries is horrendously bad for the World.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Last I heard, Tesla was working on a sub-compact car to compete with the Prius, using profits from the Roadster to develop and market it. The "spy shots" I saw in a car magazine a while back looked like a Ford Fiesta. It's supposed to be a lot cheaper, but I bet it's still going to come in around $40-50k US.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I see many of you are talking about it's price. It is expensive but I am looking forward to Tesla's future.

Elon Musk said that each generation of car they design will cost 1/2 of what the previous car did. The Model S due in 2012 will be about $50,000 but that price will be reduced in the US because you will recieve a tax credit for buying a car the is fully electric. After that we should see a car at about $25,000 add in the tax credit and you could be looking at a very nice fully electric car at about $20,000.

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
How green the car is depends on which electricity provider you use. I use green mountain, 100% renewable energy company. and this car isnt 150, that was a direct DM to $ changeover. its 110, which yes is still a lot. the model s will be 50k and the next model should be 30-40. and tesla wants to operate like a computer company not a car company. they plan on upgrading the car every year and letting owners upgrade their older models with the new parts if they choose.

prices will keep coming down, batteries will keep getting better. it just takes time. it took automobiles 104 years to get where they are now, EV's have been around maybe 15 if you count gm's evil 1. and there wasnt any real interest in them so development was slow.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006

Rather have it powered by a power station than gas, or diesel.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
hmmm, looks promising, charging time 3.5 hours, and can travel 245 miles per charge.

can any one compare the cost for charging this car, and the price of gas on normal car for travelling the same distance ?

G

They should give one to Tom's for a test review, then raffle it off online in one of the Tom's giveaways.

Status
Not open for further replies.