New Version of 980M coming out soon?

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Hi I have about 2 grand to spend on a laptop. I see the 980m is a beast but its been out for a year. Anyone know if a better version of a M gpu will be coming out soon? I dont want to drop 2 grand and then have a better gpu come out a month later, thanks!

Solution
Pascal is the next nVidia GPU architecture and the desktop version is expected to be sometime ins H2 2016, possibly during the summer. I would expect the mobile version to be available at the same time or shortly there after.

Since Intel's Kaby Lake CPUs are expected to be released around summer as well, it is pretty likely the first laptops with Pascal mobile GPU will be found in laptops with Intel's Kaby Lake generation CPU.

dudmont

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
I wonder about the same thing, I have a laptop that's all pulled apart, upgrading everything in it(CPU, ram, SSD, BD Drive, and possibly the video). I have a 970m in it atm. Problem is, based on the specs, a 980m isn't even as potent as a stock 970 desktop. I'm glad the new Nvidia graphics are on little replaceable cards. They appear to be the same between different makes, so I think they're universal.
I'd recommend you do what I'm doing, buy a system that's got upgrade potential, that way you get more for your money, when you sell and upgrade stuff. For instance, the cpu. System I bought has 4210m chip. It's presently selling for roughly 175 bucks on ebay. They chip I want is the 4940mx. It's selling for 485 and up on ebay. To have my system built, originally with the 4940 would have cost me like 800 bucks more from Cyberpower. See where I'm going here? If you're comfy digging into the bowels of a laptop, you can get a lot more for the money. You'll void the warranty, but wth.

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

I just want something that will last at least 2 years then I'll upgrade again. I guess I could pull it apart at some point but would rather just sell it and buy another. If I effed something up I would be pretty pissed lol. But it's weird that there doesn't seem to be any advertising for a newer M chip or I haven't been able to find anything.

dudmont

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
Based on what intel is doing, I'm going to bet that NVidia will do something similar and that is, focus a lot of R&D on the mobile side of things. I bet the first of the next generation Nvidia chips will be mobile, rather than desktop.

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

With my luck I'll buy a laptop and then in January a much better chip for the same price will come out. What do you think of alienwares i7-6820hk overclocked chip?

dudmont

Estimable
Feb 23, 2015
If cyberpower had the 6820k available when I bought, I'd have sprung for it.
From what I've seen, Alienware's are expensive. Do a google search on custom laptops. I found that having one built to my specs a great option. I think you can easily beat alienware's prices. :)

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Yeah they're are a little expensive but I like the design and layout. Don't mind paying a little extra for that.

Pascal is the next nVidia GPU architecture and the desktop version is expected to be sometime ins H2 2016, possibly during the summer. I would expect the mobile version to be available at the same time or shortly there after.

Since Intel's Kaby Lake CPUs are expected to be released around summer as well, it is pretty likely the first laptops with Pascal mobile GPU will be found in laptops with Intel's Kaby Lake generation CPU.

Solution