New Wheels: GM and Segway Introduce the PUMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Great to see my bailout money going to useless endeavors. The Segway was barely useful. Build good cars GM, not silly things I'll get killed in while in Chicago traffic.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
"wouldn’t it also be easier to get more cars off the road and encourage people to use public transport?"

If public transport was readily viable in most of the US (world?), that might be a good idea.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]thedipper[/nom]"wouldn’t it also be easier to get more cars off the road and encourage people to use public transport?"If public transport was readily viable in most of the US (world?), that might be a good idea.[/citation]

Segway and GM seem to be pushing this towards really big cities where subways, metros, trains etc are usually pretty decent but people are driving everywhere anyway. Aside from the fact that the PUMA can only do 35 miles on one charge, congestion is less of a problem in smaller cities and towns and so, there's less of a need to scale back the number of cars on the roads. I'd also be concerned about the accidents these would likely be involved in if they were out on roads with less traffic, ie faster drivers. Scary.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
The thing runs on electricity. That energy doesn't appear out of the blue.

People need to get realistic about this nonsense.

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
It's been some time since GM design something beautiful and useful...People just have to stop being lazy and walk more or ride bike and use public transportation. I do and in a very big city, São Paulo (BR) and amazingly enough I waste less time in traffic.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Segway and GM seem to be pushing this towards really big cities where subways, metros, trains etc are usually pretty decent but people are driving everywhere anyway. Aside from the fact that the PUMA can only do 35 miles on one charge, congestion is less of a problem in smaller cities and towns and so, there's less of a need to scale back the number of cars on the roads. I'd also be concerned about the accidents these would likely be involved in if they were out on roads with less traffic, ie faster drivers. Scary.[/citation]

In the US, we're going to see a lot of urban flight now that the economy is entirely in the toilet. It makes this that much less relevant, here. In Japan or the UK, where cities are geographically denser, it might be useful.

While public transportation ridership in the US has increased in the last half year or so, people will never give up their cars. GM really needs to get its head out of its ass and invest in viable, practical, and profitable research and development.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]In the US, we're going to see a lot of urban flight now that the economy is entirely in the toilet. It makes this that much less relevant, here. In Japan or the UK, where cities are geographically denser, it might be useful.While public transportation ridership in the US has increased in the last half year or so, people will never give up their cars. GM really needs to get its head out of its ass and invest in viable, practical, and profitable research and development.[/citation]

Agreed it's a crappy investment. Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of this at all, I just figure rather than wasting this money developing a product that will reach mass production, a "take the subway to work" campaign would likely have been money better spent.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Agreed it's a crappy investment. Just to be clear, I'm not a fan of this at all, I just figure rather than wasting this money developing a product that will reach mass production, a "take the subway to work" campaign would likely have been money better spent.[/citation]

That's what I took from your original article. It didn't seem like you were lauding the product. And, I agree that a campaign for public transportation would be more effective at reducing congestion. Problem is, haha... GM is technically in the business to increase congestion by selling more cars. We'll never see a GM "Take the Subway to Work" promo... although, if they did, I'd find it refreshing.

Sadly, few decisions are made these days with benefit of others in mind. Times will change, I hope.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Hugh Grant[/nom]ummm...where do you put your hooker?[/citation]

LAWL, on your lap, naturally. Dead hookers, however, do not apply.

Note to Kennedy family: do not buy one of these.

zuesacuatl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Why dont you actually do some research on GM. GM has developed one of the best hybrid electric drive systems in the world, to its credit, over 60% of the new hybrid electric public buses use this new drive system. With R&D comes certain toys, or as they call it, proofs of concepts. When certain ideas are hashed, and you need a trial of said idea(batteries) you need a cheap way of proving their reliability, efficiency, etc, why not try and turn a profit and recoup some losses by slapping two name brands on a proof of concept and run a test on your systems. This is exactly that. Cater to those that can afford to play with these toys, make some money, and test a design. It is simple really if you just get past all the rhetoric over this company and actually look at facts. Rush is not the only thing you should take to heart, reading for yourself and actually studying a company you wish to bash will make you look a bit more intelligent over just repeating what you hear from others.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]thedipper[/nom]"wouldn’t it also be easier to get more cars off the road and encourage people to use public transport?"If public transport was readily viable in most of the US (world?), that might be a good idea.[/citation]
Public transportation only works if it takes me to my destination Faster and cheaper than I can drive. In most cases it either doesnt even go there, or takes longer (memories of a 3hr bus ride to college vs a 45min drive in my car).

I daresay thats why lots of people dont take the bus/train/subway.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]Great to see my bailout money going to useless endeavors. The Segway was barely useful. Build good cars GM, not silly things I'll get killed in while in Chicago traffic.[/citation]

my thoughts exactly.

G

Wow what a piece of junk. The segway at least has some use in some areas, but this thing....what the hell were they thinking....

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
Just for the sake of argument. Imagine for a moment if all non-commercial vehicles within the city limits of New York City were limited to 1000lb or less. I.e. Only vehicles like this, or slightly larger, were legal.

Think of how rotten the parking is in a large city. How many of these could you park in a single normal-sized parking space? I would imagine you could stuff in at least 2 in the same space. So you would effectively double the parking space in the city without doing anything (aside from maybe remarking the parking garages/streets ... which = more jobs).

The range is sufficient for in-city travel and there is NO gas used which translates to less smog/pollution in the city and decreases on noise pollution as well.

With how relatively simple this vehicle is, maintenance should be nearly non-existent.

And at (a guestamated) $4k or so, what crook is going to bother trying to car-jack one?? This is a functional vehicle only. Nothing that chop shops are going to be interested in.

This vehicle certainly won't do for commutes on the highway but for in-city transport, along with public transit, I think this would be highly beneficial.

Status
Not open for further replies.