Solved! New Whiskey Lake Laptop

Dec 18, 2018
Hello, I was thinking about buying the new Asus ZenBook UX533 with the new Whiskey Lake i7-8565U. The question is that how and why is the Turbo Boost 4.1, but 1.6 Base Speed. Where is the catch and will it work much better than my i5-5200U with 2.2 Base Speed ? Thanks

Solution
The quad core i7-8565u will definitely more powerful than the dual core i5-5200u. The catch is the max 4.6GHz speed is only for bursts meaning very short periods of time measured in seconds as long as the CPU is cool enough. The i7 is only a 25w CPU so it is not designed to maintain high clockspeeds; the sustained clockspeed under constant load will probably be around 3.0GHz. If the CPU is always under constant load, then it will never hit it's max clockspeed of 4.6GHz.

The quad core i5-8250u is also a 25w CPU with a base clockspeed of 1.6GHz and max of 3.4GHz. Same principle applies, the 3.4GHz speed is only for bursts. It has been reviewed to have a sustained clockspeed of about 2.6GHz.
The quad core i7-8565u will definitely more powerful than the dual core i5-5200u. The catch is the max 4.6GHz speed is only for bursts meaning very short periods of time measured in seconds as long as the CPU is cool enough. The i7 is only a 25w CPU so it is not designed to maintain high clockspeeds; the sustained clockspeed under constant load will probably be around 3.0GHz. If the CPU is always under constant load, then it will never hit it's max clockspeed of 4.6GHz.

The quad core i5-8250u is also a 25w CPU with a base clockspeed of 1.6GHz and max of 3.4GHz. Same principle applies, the 3.4GHz speed is only for bursts. It has been reviewed to have a sustained clockspeed of about 2.6GHz.

Solution