Newell Wants the Doors to Xbox Live Thrown Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Isn't this a bit laughable? I'm sure you guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't EA pull some game(s) from steam because they couldn't control the content? And now valve is upset because Live requires the same thing they do?

It would be great if steam could get on there. I just found it odd that they are upset over the same thing they require.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
I hate Steamworks I will never ever buy any game that has the Steam logo on it. I don't want third party software installed on my PC. when you pay $49.95 for a game and it is not even on the CD steam must be instaled and it downloads the game. Then what the hell did I just pay for? If you uninstall steam then you can't play the game and that is Bull S***! So I hope Microsoft blocks the hell out of steam. Down with Steamworks you B*****ds.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Gabe Newell is just milking his earn trust. This guy is turning into a monopolistic person.

I don't like steamsworks and yes @4745454b EA still publish their games like portal 2 on origin like wise EA has some games on steam too. But some games are build differently that requires certain content control. lisencing and agreement is a bitch to work out.

then you have your stupid fanboys that go and blow this out of proportion.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Which ones the ones who hate Steam or the ones who like it. Me I like Steam when other storefronts charge full price you could usually rely on a Steam sale to get what you want further down the road, unfortunately that's the only way because once a game is activated on Steam then its value as a used game goes down to zero, and a lot of games require Steam registration. @neon, that's a risk I have to accept, but like before if the download version is way cheaper than on DVD I'll take Steam purely on cost.
Back to the topic at hand the only way Steam would be allowed on XBOX Live is if Microsoft's incentive to keep them out, profit from DLCs and such, goes away. That isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
STEAM is the only platform I will allow on my PC. (GFWL can piss off) The auto update can be a pain (have to wait for a game to update before you can play) if you are not in offline mode but other than that it is great. No DVD needed in the drive and just downloaded Duke Nukem Demo off STEAM. Will wait for that game to hit the bargain bin before buying.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]predmikester[/nom]@kcorp2003 lol portal 2 is a valve game[/citation]

yes i was referring to valve. steam is their distribution name. However EA publish valve games too. Portal 2 is on origin.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I hope he gets his way. It would be nice for a game to be labeled cross platform to truly be cross platform. The only game I can think of that is like that is Final Fantasy XI (PlayStation 2, Xbox360, PC, and they can all play together). I also like how the new CS:GO is set to support a KB/M on all the console versions.

tidex

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]Isn't this a bit laughable? I'm sure you guys will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't EA pull some game(s) from steam because they couldn't control the content? And now valve is upset because Live requires the same thing they do?It would be great if steam could get on there. I just found it odd that they are upset over the same thing they require.[/citation]

Yea but valve wants to add updates and cross compatibility, EA wanted to sell DLC.
Big difference.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]k-K-ZoN-no[/nom]K-zon:Given the idea of downloading games online, if to say xbox live is in lack of this is any guess why for the idea. Think there are demos to download for the ideas of content within them given what it would probably cost to access to things given the ideas of pricing. .... And with Newell Wanting the Doors to Xbox Live Thrown Open, there will even be more.[/citation]

I see that you got banned and are back in a new avatar...wtf are you like part human and part bot? "The Spaminator"?

[citation][nom]neon871[/nom]I hate Steamworks I will never ever buy any game that has the Steam logo on it. I don't want third party software installed on my PC. when you pay $49.95 for a game and it is not even on the CD steam must be instaled and it downloads the game. Then what the hell did I just pay for? If you uninstall steam then you can't play the game and that is Bull S***! So I hope Microsoft blocks the hell out of steam. Down with Steamworks you B*****ds.[/citation]

Well yes that's irritating. I bought the disc for portal 2, but have to keep waiting for steam to start, connect, then update itself, update the game (first update was 2GB) and then it lets me play it. There should be a way to avoid opening steam for a single player game, it makes no sense (i can't play when my net's down).

Steam is great for parts of Europe, North America, South Korea and Japan maybe, but for the rest of us it's annoying. It's cheaper to buy a game locally than on steam (most newly released PC games sell for $21 here) plus i don't want to sit and wait for hours to let the download complete.

Having said that, what they're trying to do here is great, cross platform gaming raises the value of all platforms.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Steam is great for parts of Europe, North America, South Korea and Japan maybe, but for the rest of us it's annoying[/citation]
Steam is annoying for people who like to pirate games, or play them for a few weeks and sell them at Gamestop.
Steam lets you get cheaper games but you have to keep them and defeats piracy.
Deal with it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Steam is annoying for people who like to pirate games, or play them for a few weeks and sell them at Gamestop.Steam lets you get cheaper games but you have to keep them and defeats piracy.Deal with it.[/citation]

Dude. Did you even read what i wrote? We already get cheap games here, steam is usually more expensive. No, i don't even open gamestop, and still have CDs that are over 10 years old (FS2, NFS II SE, Tomb raider II, etc). Pirate? Well only games that aren't worth buying, you can't keep buying all the BS a developer/publisher throws at you...

Stop generalizing, seriously.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Steam is great for parts of Europe, North America, South Korea and Japan maybe, but for the rest of us it's annoying[/citation]
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Stop generalizing, seriously.[/citation]
I'll stop generalizing when you do

Yes I did read what you wrote and seeing as the USA occupies 5% of the world I think you are a minority customer in the marketplace, as far as saying that pirates and 2nd hand sellers would be annoyed you only have to trawl the forums and see people bitching about exactly that, you took it a little too personally, the fact that you admit you pirate games means you automatically have discredited yourself.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Gabe can say whatever he wants but he's just playing the blame game to put the competition out of business just like he did with EA. MS has a platform that competes with Steam, I'm pretty sure they'd rather have people using Windows Live than Steam. Why would they allow the competition on their system when they can do cross-platform with GFWL?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Gabe can say whatever he wants but he's just playing the blame game to put the competition out of business just like he did with EA. MS has a platform that competes with Steam, I'm pretty sure they'd rather have people using Windows Live than Steam. Why would they allow the competition on their system when they can do cross-platform with GFWL?[/citation]

except its a general fact that everyone hates gfwl... and gfwl can be attributed to the failure of games, notably blacklight tango down.

microsoft having a competing platform... not even close, they aren't even in the same league.

ea left steam because ea wanted to sell you dlc in game, and bypass steam altogether, where as steam wants the dlc on steam. and if anyone ever had a problem with in game dlc purchases, you cant sympathize with ea at ALL on this issue. the only real reason that ea wants to go in game dlc is because it allows them to circumvent paying a 20-30% cut to the distributer, on consoles they have no choice, on the pc there are other options, and those people go along with it because its a game that they can sell, they aren't major distributors like steam is, and i hope steam doesn't back down and i hope all the games ea puts out on the pc tank because of it.

steam wants to be on console because consoles dont allow patches and the kind of updates valve wants.

ea wants their own plat form purely for greed

Status
Not open for further replies.