Next PSP 'F**king Powerful,' Packs 4-Core Cell CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
That would be really cool if they can really push the graphical boundaries on a handheld console. I just hope they put a battery in it that won't drain in two seconds....

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
So does that mean it will play Ps3 version games?? It better it worth the money and the design is not so good looking to me

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Keiki646[/nom]So does that mean it will play Ps3 version games?? It better it worth the money and the design is not so good looking to me[/citation]

I'd have to agree about the design. Dropping even the single analog stick seems like a mistake, I would have thought they'd finally put a second on there and make it decent.

4 core cell in a handheld that could be using 3G or WiFi? Battery life is indeed worrying.

Playing PS3 games? Uh... 4 core means it's half as powerful as the PS3. And I doubt even a modern graphics solution could account for that missing power to be able to play PS3 games.

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Actually Kelavarus it might be possible. You have "4 cores" instead of 7, but you have a smaller screen as well. It won't be doing 720P, only the size of the screen. Not sure it would be completely compatible, but they might be able to do it. I agree that the biggest problem will be battery life. I'm also wondering about the no physical media thing. You'll have to download your games? Onto what? How big is it? I could see this easily being an expensive power hungry device.

somata

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Uh... 4 core means it's half as powerful as the PS3.[/citation]
Actually it only means it has (presumably) half the CPU of the PS3's Cell. However, Cell in the PS3 is clocked at 3.2GHz, and I'd be very surprised if it was clocked anywhere near that in the PSP2. Maybe half at most, though probably less (now watch me eat my hat when we get the full specs ;). Having said that, it will still be a monster of a CPU by handheld standards.

Given that MIPS has obviously run out of steam in the high-end, the CPU-architecture nerd in me is so glad they didn't go the ARM route; finally some competition in the handheld space! I can't wait to see how the rest of system stacks up.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I'd have to agree about the design. Dropping even the single analog stick seems like a mistake, I would have thought they'd finally put a second on there and make it decent. 4 core cell in a handheld that could be using 3G or WiFi? Battery life is indeed worrying.Playing PS3 games? Uh... 4 core means it's half as powerful as the PS3. And I doubt even a modern graphics solution could account for that missing power to be able to play PS3 games.[/citation]

um, the picture clearly shows two analog sticks?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
~!~
I already gave up on my PSPgo (and trying to sell it). Maybe Sony hasn't though.

The Cowon S9 PMP is a 500MHz dual core, so why not multiple cores on a PSP (a device that actually needs the power)?

1366x768 multitouch OLED, dual analog sticks, two MicroSD slots, 1GB RAM, 64GB internal memory, and no damned UMD support?
PLZPLZPLZ

PLEASE!?!?

xophaser

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]um, the picture clearly shows two analog sticks?[/citation]
I think that is just a graphic designer made-up conceptual picture. I don't think the final mole is finished, they can redesign that till production time.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I'd have to agree about the design. Dropping even the single analog stick seems like a mistake, I would have thought they'd finally put a second on there and make it decent. 4 core cell in a handheld that could be using 3G or WiFi? Battery life is indeed worrying.Playing PS3 games? Uh... 4 core means it's half as powerful as the PS3. And I doubt even a modern graphics solution could account for that missing power to be able to play PS3 games.[/citation]

Half the cores certainly does not correlate to being half as powerful. For one, the cell is an asymmetric processor, with one core completely different from the others. You'd also have to know the clock speed of the processor, as well as the memory configuration and video processor before you could make any assessment at all. Even if everything were exactly the same, a processor with half the cores would perform significantly better than half as fast, simply because adding cores does not go up linearly with performance if you don't improve the things that go with it, which isn't easy, particularly as it pertains to cache. Increasing cache size isn't so difficult - the problem is you make it slower doing so (for example, the Gulftown six core has a slower L3 cache than the Bloomfield, and the Penryn (6MB) needed an additional clock cycle to access L2 cache compared to Conroe(4MB), 15 to 14. So, it's not nearly so simple, especially since programmers complain how difficult it is to use the all the resources of the Cell processor in the PS3.

Having said that, given the small screen, and limited battery space, it's much more likely they would have tuned this thing for extremely low power, and probably lowered performance below half of the PS3, at least while using batteries. Of course, they could make it so it clocks differently based on whether it's connected to a wall outlet or batteries, but I'm not sure if that makes sense for Sony to do. It might.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
What a joke. Putting a Cell processor of any kind into a handheld unit is like trying to stuff a Pentium 4 or, even worse, a PowerPC G5 processor into a netbook. My PS3 is currently doing double duty as a space heater in addition to being a multimedia powerhouse.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
If the specs are real the battery life would be measured in minutes, I have a real gut feeling that this is just speculation from some random person. Now if its some custom low power derivative of Cell then maybe... But do not expect all that performance that the PS3 enjoys with its heat sink and fan.

HappyBB

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I hope Sony will redesign any new PSP to be more ergonomic as playing action games on current PSP hurt my left index finger and the joints greatly!

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Jesus. When will Sony get it? It's not all about power, it's how you control it. I guess they still haven't learned from nintendo.

vartok

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I seriously doubt it will play PS3 games, that would be a little ridiculous in a hand held. However, if it plays PS2 games, im sold. 3g coverage would be fantastic, maybe a deal like Apple made with AT&T with a $30 unlimited access and no contract.

And as far as battery life? Maybe this will be the first application of "Beltway" charging for batteries. Im sure we wouldnt complain if a say, 3 hour battery life if you could charge it in 10 seconds. however, that is wishful thinking.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
4-core Cell CPU? I don't get it. The PS3 packs a CPU with one PPE (Primary Processing Engine) and 7 SPEs (Synergistic Processing Engine), which are individually less powerful than the PPE. So is the PSP2 packing four PPEs or four SPEs?

Nonetheless, a multi-core-powered handheld really breaks some world records, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.