Nexus Watch? All the Google Smartwatch Rumors So Far

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
yeah, i'm fine with regular watches and their singular function. this is unnecessary. i think google glass may be a better leap forward, but still is unnecessary.

joraph

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
A watch that can do more than telling a time is really un-necessary. it means you have to charge more frequently than a normal watch...it will even get hot if it offers camera and 3G capability.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
A watch is now nothing more than a fashion accessory. Back in the 90's it was essential for telling time but now if you ask anyone who is wearing a watch what time is it, they will most likely pull out their phone and tell you the time

Sep 22, 2013
The Galaxy watch that Samsung has integrated with their phones so that you can actually answer and talk with it intrigues me as a Dick Tracy fan, but that novelty isn't enough for me to buy one. I think Samsung's take on this is the most relevant I've seen.

THAT said, I don't see this smart watch thing actually taking off. I think Apple with put out their obligatory offer, but ultimately I think this is where we'll see the smart accessory market taper off, and as such, it's tie-in with the smart phone market. Wearable tech only makes sense when it's actually practical (that sounds like a an oxymoron, I know) and serves a purpose.

So far, every suggestion I've seen seems to be that this is basically an extension of my phone. Like the LG pic above, I don't need to see pics on my watch. If I have time to pull up pics on my watch, I'll pull them up on my phone instead.

What I'd like to see is the integration of a *small* smart watch with something like the Jawbone band. I don't need pics and video and crap, just give me a Dick Tracy watch that can monitor my stats and optionally send them via bluetooth to an app on my phone and also stores them locally to download later.

I think instead these smart phone manufacturers are trying to do the phone tie-in to force propriety, which goes completely against the Android philosophy and what makes it competitive with Apple.

BranFlake5

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Not saying that I'm particularly in the market for a smart watch, but this design is so far the best I have seen. I'd be interested in this.Imagine the ultimate Nexus experience when you can access things from your wrist and view them on your glasses. The whole thing powered by a fast, cheap Nexus phone.I feel that if battery life is addressed these could become popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.