Nic doesn't show up in device manager

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lukall87

Estimable
Nov 30, 2014
I have a lenovo y50. I started up m y computer and it didn't connect to the internet. I looked in network connections, and my nic was not there. I then looked in device manager, and under network adapters there was only my intel wireless 3160 and virtualbox adapter. I checked in the bios and there was a option to enable/disable wireless network but not wired network. Thanks in advance and please help.

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
How many LAN ports your router has? try connecting your ethernet cable to another port, it's possible that the one you're trying is faulty or maybe even disabled/blocked in the router's config (some have that option, some don't, you'll have to check it yourself).

It could also be a big coincidence if the IP 192.168.2.15 is already on use, try using 192.168.2.2 with your wireless card disabled (since that's the one your wireless got assigned, turning it off would ensure that IP is free to be used).

RaDiKaL_

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Yeah that error of multiple IP assigned is ok, since the same IP is set on your wireless adapter, as long as you've disabled it it won't be an issue.

Since you've tried different ports in the router, and your NIC is properly detected in your PC with no errors showing up in device manager, perhaps your ethernet cable is the problem? get another one and try it.