Nice speakers and sub!

Liamace123

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Hey just wanted to find some quality knock your socks off speakers and sub for around $650-700. I also need a receiver So add around 100-200 for that. Thanks guys.

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
If you don't mind going unconventional... I currently use my TV as a monitor, and have the highs through that, and the lows through an old Bass Amp I don't use any more, the bass is astounding, and adjustable, and you can pick up a decent bass amp for like 125$ (By decent I mean a 35W Practice Amp), prices go up as sound quality does, but the options are almost limitless, and they're made for bass which is omnidirectional, so you don't need a pair, only a pair for the high end sounds. I have mine setup as through the HDMI into the TV/Monitor, then from the monitor to the bass amp. You can adjust lvls through the computer, the Tv/Monitor, and through the amp itself. At the 600$ lvl you could get yourself a righteous system that'll be WAY more than you need.

This would give you nice bass. Amplifier and Cabinet all in one, plenty of power for use in home. Set it up under your desk. Tune it. Enjoy.
http://www.music123.com/amplifiers-effects/orange-amplifiers-crush-pix-cr25bx-25w-1x8-bass-combo-amp

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
Good bass is made by moving air, so in general, the best bass is the biggest speakers, so the 15s would reproduce bass pretty well. *However*, you're looking to reproduce both highs and lows from the same cabinet, and all they had for highs was a small tweeter, which is good for piercing really high tones, but not so good for midrange. Seek out cabinets that are ported (better bass response) and have at least a 12in woofer, an 8 - 10 in mid, and a 1 - 2 in tweeter, a good crossover is a must, you don't want your stereo trying to play that bass through the tweeter, you'll blow the tweeter and the whole thing will sound terrible.

My biggest problem with helping you is that I don't know consumer products at all. On Stage I played Ashdown and Behringer most recently, then before that Ampeg and Trace Elliott. Trace Elliott got bought out by Gibson and shut down, the people who designed the Trace stuff started Ashdown, and I love their stuff for bass, but it's kinda pricey, Behringer makes a good clean bass tone, that's adjustable, and the price is good.

Something like this would give you all the bass you need, I used a 450W head with a 4x10in cabinet (Ashdown though) and it can keep up with anything you can throw at it high wise, I think you'll be suprised at how loud and how much bass these get.
http://www.music123.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-ultrabass-bxl3000a-300w-1x15-aluminum-cone-bass-combo

Liamace123

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
well that looks great would I need a receiver or can I just use a cable and hook them up? Also this I SOOOO much cheaper than the others but I wonder how they will compare to the Bics? How big is the midrange/tweeter in the ones you listed above? Also I am thinking these do not need a sub,am I right?

jossrik

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2002
I've been listing what we call a "combo" amp. It's a power amp, mixer, speaker in one. They're for typically rehearsal, but, they are made tough, this thing will last you 20+ years. You can plug your computer directly into it, you will need an adapter in most cases, you're going to want to plug it into the input as opposed to aux input or cd input or effects loop return. What they call those differs with brand and model. Input is always the same though. As far as the highs... That's a different story, I don't know about those, I have some in mine (which is an off brand 35w kickback with a pioneer car audio speaker in it (the original speaker was blown, went to walmart bought the pioneer 12 for like 40$, put it in, sounded great, left it, it's been running now for like 10 years)) This is technically just for bass, but because of different styles they can handle highs too. I suggest try it, go to a local musix store with a laptop and an adapter so you can output from your headphones to a gorilla plug (it's a 1/8th to a 1/4 adapter you'll need, they're pretty inexpensive, from there it's headphone out, Tell the guy to humor you (cause not many people think to use a bass amp for bass, even though to me it makes sense) You'll see what I'm talking about as far as bass response, highs, and volume. From there make an educated decision on what you need or if you want to go with something more conventional. I'm in my bedroom with a 35W amp, and it's plenty loud and more than enough bass to go with my tv, if you want it to shake the neighbors windows, you can do that too. I did with a 450W Head and 4X10in cabinet. Actually rattled windows for two houses down. You can do that for less than 700$ in most cases, that will be way more than you need though. Just remember, bass is ten times the watts of treble, so if your 15w desktop speakers are loud enough, 150w bass is more than enough. It's all about moving the air.