Nikon coolpix P900

ovadiaitay34

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Hello I'm onto buying a new digital camera. I wanted to know of this is mirrorless?
And also is mirrorless better than dslr? I would like some recommendations since I'm not that good in this...

Thank you!

Solution

That depends a LOT on your budget.
That Nikon will take good pics. But with that one, they have simply upped the bar with the zoom level. It still uses the same small sensor as in a small pocket camera.
Better lens, but still the same sensor size.

For comparison:
Nikon P900 - sensor size = 6.17mm x 4.55mm = 28 sq mm
Fuji X-T1 - sensor size = 23.6mm x 15.6mm = 368 sq mm

15 times the size. Which results in much better low light performance, among other things. It is, of course, much more expensive.

That Nikon looks to be a VERY large camera. Maybe not something you want to haul...

USAFRet

Illustrious

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2417488569/a-closer-look-at-the-nikon-coolpix-p900-megazoom
That is what as known as a superzoom, or bridge, camera.

Not a DSLR, or a mirrorless.

Same size and shape as a DSLR, a lot of features and knobs, but the same small sensor as a typical small point and shoot.
"Behind all that glass is a 1/2.3" 16MP CMOS sensor, which is likely the same one used in many Nikon compact cameras. "

They can provide quite good pics, but not at the same level as a good mirrorless or DSLR.
I recently changed from a Fuji HS10 'superzoom' to a Fuji X-T1 mirrorless. The difference is quite dramatic. Far more expensive, though.

$600 brings it into the price range of a entry level DSLR. The DSLR comes with a much larger sensor, almost certainly providing better images.

USAFRet

Illustrious

That depends a LOT on your budget.
That Nikon will take good pics. But with that one, they have simply upped the bar with the zoom level. It still uses the same small sensor as in a small pocket camera.
Better lens, but still the same sensor size.

For comparison:
Nikon P900 - sensor size = 6.17mm x 4.55mm = 28 sq mm
Fuji X-T1 - sensor size = 23.6mm x 15.6mm = 368 sq mm

15 times the size. Which results in much better low light performance, among other things. It is, of course, much more expensive.

That Nikon looks to be a VERY large camera. Maybe not something you want to haul around all the time.
Will it take good pics? Sure. So will just about ALL current cameras.

I strongly advise you to go to a local camera shop and put your hands on one if you can. You might find it too large for casual use.

For the Fuji, or other DSLR/mirrorless? That is a whole other level of investment.
A telephoto lens for my Fuji, that only approaches the tele length of that Nikon, would be $1,000 plus. Just for the lens.

But in your price range, consider a Nikon D3300.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2016-round-up-interchangeable-lens-cameras-under-500/6

Similar price as that P900, but a much better platform to grow with.

Solution