Nikon D3400 not reading SD card

IronicTrout

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
I just bought a brand new Nikon D3400 and a brand new SanDisk SDXC SD card. When I insert the SD card into the slot it tells me that it cannot read the card and that it might be damaged, but if I insert it into my computer it reads it just fine. I have tried formatting it on my computer and it still doesn't read the card. I have a Lexar 8GB card that works just fine in the camera. Does anyone have any tricks that I can try to make it work?

Solution
I agree with Bodichka.

For the most part SD cards are prone to failing for a number of reasons.

1) Try to reformat the card either in the camera, if that fails attempt to format using Windows or Mac. If you need help with manually formatting an SD card you can ask me for further directions. Use the FAT32 preset.

2) If you have sensetive photos or video on the SD card you want to recover you could always try recovering the data using PhotoREC. Its a free opensource program made for data recovery. You can fine a link to the program HERE.

3) If you have a warrenty, send the card back for a replacement.

Let us know if any of the steps above helped?
- Mitch

Bodichka4000

Prominent
Apr 6, 2017
1. See if the little switch on the side of the SD card hasn't been slid to "lock".
2. format and switch file system to FAT32
3. if it didnt work just send back it to SanDisk, they slould replace it for free :sarcastic:

wordofmitch

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
I agree with Bodichka.

For the most part SD cards are prone to failing for a number of reasons.

1) Try to reformat the card either in the camera, if that fails attempt to format using Windows or Mac. If you need help with manually formatting an SD card you can ask me for further directions. Use the FAT32 preset.

2) If you have sensetive photos or video on the SD card you want to recover you could always try recovering the data using PhotoREC. Its a free opensource program made for data recovery. You can fine a link to the program HERE.

3) If you have a warrenty, send the card back for a replacement.

Let us know if any of the steps above helped?
- Mitch

Solution

Terrence_9

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017

I updated the firmware for the d3400. I put the firmware on a 1GB SD card that I knew worked in the camera. After updating the firmware I put in Sd 64 GB card and it worked. When I never got the error message I formatted the SD Card.

Sep 9, 2017

This is actually exactly what I had to end up doing! I ended up returning it and getting a new one :)