Nikon D5300 DSLR Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spriggan43

Estimable
May 12, 2014
I have this camera, and I give it 2.5 out of 5 stars.

Biggest fail point it’s not able to connect to a network and automatic upload photos. Its saying you have the means to take a photos with your smart phone, why use the camera at all for the wifi?
Also one other thing is the Wireless G is slow, and can only be used as a wifi point to connect mobile devices only lamo
It takes 5mins to setup your wifi to your mobile download there crappy app on android or IOS, transfer to the phone via (wireless g) then upload it to the net with your mobile, and that’s if you only have 10-20 shots on the card, if you have 500 shots you have to wait 2-3mins for the slow wifi to send a snapshot to your mobile.
Why not just use your mobile? Take the shot and upload less than 30 seconds compared to Nikons 5-6mins, I mean you’re only uploading to facebook in the end.
The wifi and GPS are cheap gimmicks that could have not made it to the unit to be cheaper, its 2014 Nikon get with the program or die.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Who buys a DSLR and shoots in jpeg?

If you are spending that much on a camera, you should be shooting in raw, or you are significantly reducing your overall quality.

In camera noise reduction is meaningless because you should be shooting in raw only, or at most, raw + jpeg if you need somethign to throw up on facebook or something quickly, but there should never be a time whenyou are not shooting in raw. storage is cheap (I recently purchased a 64GB PNY SD card (90MB/s read, 60MB/s write for $30)

storage is cheap, shoot raw.

seancaptain

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Who buys a DSLR and shoots in jpeg?

If you are spending that much on a camera, you should be shooting in raw, or you are significantly reducing your overall quality.

In camera noise reduction is meaningless because you should be shooting in raw only, or at most, raw + jpeg if you need somethign to throw up on facebook or something quickly, but there should never be a time whenyou are not shooting in raw. storage is cheap (I recently purchased a 64GB PNY SD card (90MB/s read, 60MB/s write for $30)

storage is cheap, shoot raw.

seancaptain

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Hi. We definitely see your point and mention in reviews that RAW offers the best quality. But not everyone shoots in RAW, and not all the time (and the skill of people editing in RAW varies). We do shoot simultaneously in RAW and JPEG, so we can go back to the RAWs to see if problems in the images are simply from the JPEG process. - Sean (editor)

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
For me, I have never seen a DSLR output good jpegs with noise reduction, even the D4s has issues.

The problem is that in camera noise reduction often creates large artifacts, where as if the raw image is processed and has noise reduction done with a tool such as noisware or neat image, then you get noise reduction with more detail than the jpegs, all without the blotches and other artifacts.

It just seems like people should should at least keep Raw files as backups even if they are not ready to start editing, because when they are ready to get into lightroom or photoshop, then they can go back to old images and make them look better.
Even if someone is just picking up their first camera, once they try Raw, they will never want to go back go jpeg.

jpeg: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/pc9d3toj8pjage9/096.jpg

Raw edit:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ewmya4xc7xqondc/abondoned1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.