Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamier197

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
My D5200 has developed a problem, every time I turn it on I get the error message "This memory card cannot be used. Card may be damaged Insert another card." I have tried multiple memory cards in the camera and tested them on another camera to ensure that they work but the message still shows. I have also tried formatting the cards and making sure they are not locked however there has been no luck and the error is still displayed. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it and how to fix it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Alberto C

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015

Samuel Frano

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015

Hi, when you use microSD card with adapter, you must change only adapter. This solution working for me. Some adapters from Adata and Kingstone are corrupt.

-trojanhorse- from SLOVAKIA

Anil Shrestha

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015

Hi,
It worked for me nikon 3200, hope it will work for you too.
1. I made a paper folded and made like sd card
2. Then I pushed up and down several time into sd card slot trying cleaning the connectors.
3. Small air blew into the hole
4. Thats it ! it worked

Thanks, from Nepal

Alan65

Commendable
Jul 26, 2016
Further to the problem I had with my Sandisk SD card and D3300.

Neither the camera or PC would look at the card. I even took it into the local Kodak shop and they said the pictures (all 255 of them) were lost.
I gave it to an engineer friend, who said it was most likely a bad connection on the internal IC.
He left it in his PC's card slot for a couple of days. then transferred it to his laptop. After about 30 minutes, he gaot a message "new hardware found".
He quickly downloaded and saved the files.

He said: I was confident that there was an intermittent connection be it a bond wire, track fracture or a BGA connection. Before resorting to microscope and open heart surgery on the chip it's worth trying it for a day or two in different computers to see if the micro environment in the dock is conducive to restoring temporarily the connection. The third PC I tried showed the same as the first two, I.e. Non detection of card. However 30 mins or so later the sound of connectivity filled the room so I gingerly opened My Computer... There it was and a dragon drop and 40 minutes later there it was backed up.

ntsarb

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
Same problem here, with a brand new Nikon 3300.

I followed Anil's advice: I blew air into the SD card slot and the problem was solved.

However, to be honest, I'm very disappointed about this. It's either a product design or a manufacturing defect.

In any case, it's simply unacceptable. Nikon gets associated with poor quality.

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Not to be offensive or anything, but this is a frequent problem. It has nothing to do with the quality. If something was actually wrong, blowing on it WOULD NOT FIX IT. If there was a bit of dust in-between the SD card contacts and the contacts in the camera-just enough to separate one of the pins-the card would not be read properly. I have carried my D3200 when I had one, and now D600 and D300 through sand and other environments and can tell you I have had the same problem myself. It's why those little air cans with compressed air exist, or alternatively the little rubber blowers to get dust and stuff off lenses. My D600 has had the problem 3 times that I can remember, and the D300 once (it uses Compact Flash, and the pin design is much harder to mess up). As long as you are pulling cards in and out of the camera and exposing the inside of that card slot to foreign materials, you are susceptible to the problem. Who knows, it could have been something that was on the SD card, which when you put it into the camera caused the issue, then when the card was removed and you blew inside it was enough to get it off the contacts...

ntsarb

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013

Thanks for your response. I see your point but this is literally a brand new camera, meaning that it has just been unboxed and wouldn't accept an SD Card. We're keeping the camera, hopefully the problem will not persist.

Godwin_5

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
Best answer. The problem is in pins of sd card interface. About the sd card you can try to other camera to test them. When yiu insert the card and still error messege no sd card inserted the problem is in sd card slot. You can use your common sense if the sd card is bad. Open your dslr to check the pins or forien object inside.

jcgamareis

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.