Nintendo Blames 3DS Price Drop on Gamecube

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
But where are the killer games? Doesn't matter what price you bring it too, how fancyyou make the 3D - it's all about the games.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Casual gamers have gone smartphone. The only market left are the hard-core gamers. Being in the category I am waiting for the Vita.

G

Maybe they'll pioneer micro-transactions done right. Buy any game for $10-15, 1 chapter at a time. Not only do the developers have to produce an excellent game, they have to deliver excellence in every new chapter to get their full $60 for the product, or $10-15 x # of chapters. They can release chapters faster than a full fledged game and have more time to finish the last chapters before they become available. It could be a win-win for casual gamers. It'd force better quality since if it sucks, the customer's only out $10-15 and doesn't have to bother with anymore chapters.

mrmoo500

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
This is just a better reason not to buy the 3ds or the wii u, the micro transactions are the stupidest thing I've ever seen. What happened to games being finished when they were realeased? Those "micro" transactions ruin every game they are used in and I refuse to ever buy anything that has them. I will not be nickeled and dimed to death by games I already payed for. There's a reason the top grossing apps in apple's app store are the micro transaction ones.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ReadMenfo[/nom]Maybe they'll pioneer micro-transactions done right. Buy any game for $10-15, 1 chapter at a time. Not only do the developers have to produce an excellent game, they have to deliver excellence in every new chapter to get their full $60 for the product, or $10-15 x # of chapters. They can release chapters faster than a full fledged game and have more time to finish the last chapters before they become available. It could be a win-win for casual gamers. It'd force better quality since if it sucks, the customer's only out $10-15 and doesn't have to bother with anymore chapters.[/citation]

3ds is 40-50$ with many discounts at 20-30 on new, thats the category they are in, but great idea.

imagine professor laytown, free, first 10 puzzles free, and than packs of puzzles or 1 at a time for a fraction of the new game, ultimately costing 10$ more than buying the full game outright.

it would be good for people to try out the games, and it would be incentive to buy games outright instead, and give devs more money in terms of 10$ more total for buying chapters, but its charged in such small amounts that it may be worth it, like over a month period of time, or even a year.

only problem is there is little incentive to ever drop the price down when games get older.

[citation][nom]mrmoo500[/nom]This is just a better reason not to buy the 3ds or the wii u, the micro transactions are the stupidest thing I've ever seen. What happened to games being finished when they were realeased? Those "micro" transactions ruin every game they are used in and I refuse to ever buy anything that has them. I will not be nickeled and dimed to death by games I already payed for. There's a reason the top grossing apps in apple's app store are the micro transaction ones.[/citation]

so you dont buy games, because most dlc is basically a more expensive micro transaction.

[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]Wii U looks rubbish, not going to save Nintendo.[/citation]

imagine playing battlefield, you attach the he pad to the end of a gun, and there, you are looking down the barrel to aim. you press a button on the gun, the clip releases, and you remove it and pop it back in to reload the gun. or sniping, you looking down the barrel, and moving to more accurately simulate sniping, if anyone ever played those sniping arcade games where you look in the scope exclusively to see zoomed in, those were awesome.

im HOPING that the devs take their time with fps games, because they have the chance to REALLY make them better on the console than the pc with this system.

F*** the mouse and keyboard, they are good and accurate, but so is the wii and ps3 controller, what they were missing before is something like the wiiu pad.

just imagine a game where you are standing up and moving around to aim, in 360 degrees, YES some people are lazy and wouldn't like that, but you can not honestly tell me that you have no interest in it at all if its done right.

with as much care as dice gives all its games, i SERIOUSLY DOUBT that they wont take full advantage of those features.

look at it this way, i would rather have a stick than the wasd keys, as you can control movements better, and with a second stick aiming with gyro tech helping it, and i have to imaging a camera also helping, this could be an epic experience.

im hoping for the best, so sadly they can only disappoint.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
My question is, who would pay $250 for a handheld? OK, well, who would even pay $170? Yeah, no thanks. Maybe if it made me 3 meals/day and coffee as well.

G

Blame? They said they learned from there mistake with the Gamecube nothing about blaming the bad sales of the 3DS on a past system...

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]Correct me if wrong, but isn't Crysis a much more graphically intensive game? I was under the impression that Crysis 2 was a decent downgrade in the graphics and WOW factor department.[/citation]
Nope, Crysis 2 has lower comparable system requirements, when you compare what was mid range and high end hardware by performance and price tag four years ago and in March this year. It is said to be more graphically intensive because it was demanding better than what was high end hardware then. Crysis 2 looks a notch better and demands mid range hardware for that.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
How comes that Gamecube is hurting 3DS??? They are targeting diff market segments. Nintendo made unappealing handheld that brings nothing worth buying it over DS line of products. Anyway, I'm buying DS XL for my kid, the previous one served it's time good.

Skiddywinks

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Nope, Crysis 2 has lower comparable system requirements, when you compare what was mid range and high end hardware by performance and price tag four years ago and in March this year. It is said to be more graphically intensive because it was demanding better than what was high end hardware then. Crysis 2 looks a notch better and demands mid range hardware for that.[/citation]

Where the heck are you getting your information?

Horrible textures, some ripped from the first game and halved, massive lack of dynamic objects, worse lighting, smaller draw distance despite easier to render backdrops, simpler mechanics and a much more scripted story.

Here's just one video, but I have seen better user made ones. It still gets most of the points across though.

Some effects have been improved (like the particles etc), but in almost every area, technically speaking at least (the rest is subjective), Crysis 2 is worse than Crysis 1. Crysis 2 does do a better job of getting the most out of hardware, but I honestly don't think it would be that big a difference if they didn't also cut so much out.

Status
Not open for further replies.