Nintendo Confirms Wii U Launch Titles, Including Mass Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Look I respect Nintendo but the Wii U is stupid plain and simple.

First of all, the games it's launching with came out half a decade ago. The majority are rehashes of already existing games.

And then it features a stupid tablet function. IT'S NOT EVEN MULTI-TOUCH. What can you accomplish with it? Swiping your finger to move a pointer. Why don't you just use a mouse? Cheaper, more accurate.

Sorry but there's so many wasted resources in this it's disheartening. The money poured into having a touch-display built into a controller (which also requires beefier batteries upon many things) could have better been spent on a more powerful GPU/CPU, more RAM, redesigned controller without a stupid touch screen. There could have been so many improvements.

Dreamcast 2012: Touch!

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Also, the system needs more dancing/fitness/singing games. E3 "ONLY" had around 20. There's clearly not enough out there.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Call me crazy, but I can see some really cool things being done with the tablet if implemented properly. At least Nintendo is trying to be innovative. Even if the Wii U fails, it could easily setup the future for some other brilliant console ideas that are similar (even if it's not Nintendo).

Motion controls were just the beginning. I can't wait to see what the future of gaming holds. If every maker just stuck to the 2 plain controllers and a console, gaming would never evolve.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Call me crazy, but I can see some really cool things being done with the tablet if implemented properly. At least Nintendo is trying to be innovative. Even if the Wii U fails, it could easily setup the future for some other brilliant console ideas that are similar (even if it's not Nintendo). Motion controls were just the beginning. I can't wait to see what the future of gaming holds. If every maker just stuck to the 2 plain controllers and a console, gaming would never evolve.[/citation]

You're right, the next evolutionary step for Mass Effect is becoming like Dance Central 2.

HDR, Tessellation, and Environments that change and react in real-time are a thing of the past.

See, instead of pressing a button, I'd much rather say a phrase and wave my arms to accomplish the exact same thing.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
You clearly need to use more imagination more to envision whats possible. Maybe current attempts to evolve gaming are lame, but not as lame as keeping things exactly the same and only improving hardware specs.

lightofhonor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
@aftcomet Half a decade old games? Which? It's Mass Effect 3, 3 months old, Batman, about 8 months but has new content, Trine 2, 6 months but has new content, and Ninja Gaiden which is 3 months old and has new content. So all these games will be under a year when the U launches, and almost all are enhanced.

Second: Multitouch was never confirmed or denied. There is resistive multitouch.

Third: It's the most powerful console... if you want better, buy a PC.

But I guess haters going to hate.

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]lightofhonor[/nom]@aftcomet Half a decade old games? Which? It's Mass Effect 3, 3 months old, Batman, about 8 months but has new content, Trine 2, 6 months but has new content, and Ninja Gaiden which is 3 months old and has new content. So all these games will be under a year when the U launches, and almost all are enhanced. Second: Multitouch was never confirmed or denied. There is resistive multitouch.Third: It's the most powerful console... if you want better, buy a PC.But I guess haters going to hate.[/citation]

The article doesn't cite Mass Effect 3, only Mass Effect. Besides, a large part of the enjoyment of the Mass Effect series is following the story line and importing your character across all three games, not starting with the last game of the series, with arguably the worst ending of all. So either way it will suck. Bring out the first Mass Effect years after the game came out = fail. Launch with ME 3 and not having the ability to bring in your character from the first two games = fail. On another note, any new dance games in 2012 and beyond....fail fail FAIL!

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Explain to me why I should care about Mass Effect on a hardware platform that isn't launching until later this year? Seems really late. Not sure what EA is thinking with this one. It's a very weak launch title given the age of the game. I don't think it's wise for Nintendo to really hawk this title as a standout launch pick.

Scribblenauts Unlimited looks absolutely exciting. That has the potential to be a system-seller. We'll have to see just how far this define your own content thing goes. I really want to toy around with that feature and I know it'd be a hit with friends. I am very very disappointed we don't have a solid 3D Mario game for launch or even a new Zelda game. I guess they're still busy coming up with a new idea following the Mario Galaxy series or weaning themselves off backtracking for Zelda. Honestly though, I would excuse both if Nintendo would make a 3d Pokemon adventure game for the Wii U. It seems like such an obvious idea. Why hasn't this been done yet?

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Dreamcast 2012: Touch![/citation]

The dreamcast never failed, simply because, a lot of things on current consoles was attempted to be built into that machine. You seem to like that word a lot.

While I agree a big point to Mass effect is following the story and your chosen character through all 3 games, I don't think it will be as much a "failure" as you think, esp since a vast majority of people buying ME3 have already played the others, and given what they did for ME2 on the PS3, I'm sure the wii version will have a cute little method of generating your characters history.

Anyway, while I do most of my gaming on the PC, the Wii U has me curious of potential. I'll be watching to see where it goes, I have a wii and happy with it and my other systems, esp since I focus more on PC (A new console purchase would set me back savings on upgrades for PC.) but one function that I really like is playing on the gamepad without the TV. I wish the other systems did that.

I won't be a launcher buyer, I'm still reeling from the Vita and waiting for sony to get off it's butt, but if it does well on features and grabs a few interesting titles, I'll likely save for it next year. (I want a 680 card first (or 780 which ever is out.)

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I was on the fence, but the Nintendo presentation for E3 actually made me like the gamepad idea more.

I'll go pop some popcorn and watch the fanboys and haters argue with each other and save my opinions till the system launches.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]lightofhonor[/nom]@aftcomet Half a decade old games? Which? It's Mass Effect 3, 3 months old, Batman, about 8 months but has new content, Trine 2, 6 months but has new content, and Ninja Gaiden which is 3 months old and has new content. So all these games will be under a year when the U launches, and almost all are enhanced. Second: Multitouch was never confirmed or denied. There is resistive multitouch.Third: It's the most powerful console... if you want better, buy a PC.But I guess haters going to hate.[/citation]

BS.

It says Mass Effect, not Mass Effect 3. Even if it is Mass Effect 3 it'll be 10 months old when the system is released, almost a year. Not 3 months. Going by your claims the game isn't even out yet.

Multi-Touch CONFIRMED not in system. Get your facts straight.

Trine 2 and Ninja Gaiden 3? I hope you're not serious.

The most powerful console? It barely beats systems released 7 years ago.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]You're right, the next evolutionary step for Mass Effect is becoming like Dance Central 2.HDR, Tessellation, and Environments that change and react in real-time are a thing of the past.See, instead of pressing a button, I'd much rather say a phrase and wave my arms to accomplish the exact same thing.[/citation]
IMO Arkham City showed some good examples of what could be done with the controller. The ZombiU demo which showed "hacking" on the small screen, and zombies approaching in the big screen looked really intense. Something I quickly thought up would be to have some kind of a powersuit where you could split the power between different parts of the body, with the touch screen you could easily make it a real time control; making for a pretty interesting gameplay. Or perhaps have players draw spells on the touch screen instead of pressing some buttons.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
i myself c the wii and wii u ti be the only one different enough to spend money on instead of the pc. if id like to get a ps3 or exbox i culd get me a realy bad pc and be done with it but wii at least keeps it interesting.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
First it is Mass effect 3 that is out for it not the original

Also Nintendo is going the right direction Hek Microsoft confirmed it with the Smart glass and Developers repsonding when asked a question from microsoft

as i posted in another forum

On tho a positive note Microsoft confirmed from Developer that they wanted another screen

The guy doing the presentation of Smart glass siad that when we asked developers what they would do with this technology they envisioned all new ways to make your games better ther games better. Wii U is doing just that and more far more depth so Microsoft came out and already confirmed Nintendo is going the right direction and Gave developers love the 2nd screen

[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Look I respect Nintendo but the Wii U is stupid plain and simple. First of all, the games it's launching with came out half a decade ago. The majority are rehashes of already existing games. And then it features a stupid tablet function. IT'S NOT EVEN MULTI-TOUCH. What can you accomplish with it? Swiping your finger to move a pointer. Why don't you just use a mouse? Cheaper, more accurate.Sorry but there's so many wasted resources in this it's disheartening. The money poured into having a touch-display built into a controller (which also requires beefier batteries upon many things) could have better been spent on a more powerful GPU/CPU, more RAM, redesigned controller without a stupid touch screen. There could have been so many improvements.Dreamcast 2012: Touch![/citation]

Also the Wii U console has a much more beefier CPU/GPU and more ram because it is what renders everything on the Wii U gamepad watch the Zombie U gameplay and ya can see what all it can do in that game anyways that they use. Also did you not see that they are also launched the Wii U controller Pro that looks like a 360 controller

The Wii U is siad to be running a quad core Power 7 chip with 8 threads 2gb of ram or 1.5 anyways some reprts so it would be far more powerful then the 360 or PS3 also the fact that having 2 Wii U gamepads would bring FPS down from full 60FPS to 30FPs means it is more powerfull system anyways as most 360 and PS3 games are only 30FPS if that @ upscaled 720p or so

As i stated above tho Microsofts Smartglass takes some ideas from the Wii U but only Software based and Developers responded very positive to the idea of having a 2nd screen to do more to make things more immersive and it confirms in my eyes that Nintendo agian made the right choice

Nintendo had the Wiimote/Nunchuck for Wii motion controls and it paid off big time even Sony copied them because they realized Nintendo was Right

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Razor's Edge.... could that possibly be Mirror's Edge 2? =D I loved that game so much ^^ been waiting for a sequel for a long time

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
It's the most powerful console? What are the specs for it? I was only paying a little attention to E3 but I'm sure they weren't detailed. And I have to say by releasing titles that I have already played & completed, I can't see the appeal in buying a whole new console for the privilege of playing the same game all over again.

Also Mass Effect 3? That's the game which gained notoriety within days of it's release and is the end of a trilogy. If the Wii U doesn't offer ME1 & 2 then seriously what on earth is the point of releasing it?
Then there is the casual market this console is aimed at. That's going to kill the WiiU because casual's don't care about graphics, one reason they went for the Wii in the first place, and therefore won't upgrade.
However I think this is good. Nintendo have been flogging a dead horse for far too long and deserve to be kicked out of the console game for turning gaming into a motion controlled gimmick.

Status
Not open for further replies.