Nintendo Denies Reports of Smartphone Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Nintendo's always been stubborn and went their own way in the face of shifting market trends. It's served them well thus far, but it may time to change.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Guess he hasn't seen the layers of dust collecting on my DS. Farmville anyone?
Nintendo knows what they are doing. Not everyone has the same likes and dislikes, while You may not play with your DS, many people Do. it's biased to imply that because think your DS is boring that everyone agrees with you. It's an unwarranted attack on tech journalism and should be neutral.

G

I disagree ^. He could have worded it differently but that wouldn't spark comments. I suggest he is not unique and there are plenty of people who think similarly than he does. Once you develop an outline of his preferences, and start grouping all people that fit that profile, there's probably a significant number. So, in essence, he is merely stating that he and people who feel the same he does, has not been fully exploited by Nintendo, and Nintendo could of course explore this and find room for improvement to better keep all those who invested in the DS continue to invest in the DS.

tjspyke

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Actually, Nintendo owns more than 32% of the Pokemon franchise. I am not surprised the author got it wrong though. They own most of it (maybe all). The Pokemon games are jointly owned by Nintendo, Creatures (a company that is 100% owned by Nintendo), and Game Freak (who have not made a game for someone other than Nintendo since 1999). You will not be credible when you get basic facts wrong like saying Pokemon is an independent franchise. Then again, Fox News Channel spreads lies everyday and also trick people into believing them.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom] it's biased to imply that because think your DS is boring that everyone agrees with you. It's an unwarranted attack on tech journalism and should be neutral.[/citation]

Umm, how the f___ is his opinion an attack on tech journalism? It's a single line simply voicing his opinion/analysis at the end of the article and saying that the DS is old, which it is. Have you ever heard of a f___ing op ed? This ain't the new york times, if you want that kind of reporting go read that, dumba__.

G

Farmville is not a game, it's a damn virus and should be eradicated from the internet ASAP

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
"ignoring the industry shift over to social networking."

News flash: Myspace is Dead, Facebook is on it's way to being dead(30 million+ users dropped out from "boredom")

Social networking is a Fad, just like the iPad business.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]IThinkDifferently[/nom]I disagree ^. He could have worded it differently but that wouldn't spark comments. I suggest he is not unique and there are plenty of people who think similarly than he does. Once you develop an outline of his preferences, and start grouping all people that fit that profile, there's probably a significant number. So, in essence, he is merely stating that he and people who feel the same he does, has not been fully exploited by Nintendo, and Nintendo could of course explore this and find room for improvement to better keep all those who invested in the DS continue to invest in the DS.[/citation]

[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]Umm, how the f___ is his opinion an attack on tech journalism? It's a single line simply voicing his opinion/analysis at the end of the article and saying that the DS is old, which it is. Have you ever heard of a f___ing op ed? This ain't the new york times, if you want that kind of reporting go read that, dumba__.[/citation]
Was I being insulting? No. You dont need to call me names. and you must feel pretty proud of yourself knowing you can sit there in the comfort of your own home insulting people you've never met.

However, this is a news article in a news section. Not an opinion piece. If you wanna talk about newspapers, need i remind you that the New york times has its own separated opinion piece of what people THINK should be. andd the new york times doesnt report technology. However, i read this believing to be news, not to be told that someone thinks i might be in the minority. Seriously?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Nintendo would never give up on the profits it makes on the sale of the portable system and more importantly. The money they get from 3rd party game making companies. They get X amount for each game sold on thier console.

So. lets say you are EA games.
You make a need for speed
You charge $40 for the game.
Lets say retailers get $10 on each game for a retail price of $50.
Out of that $40, lets say nintendo gets a 10% licensing fee.
That's $4
Times 1 million copies sold
4 million for a game they didn't even make.
And that's just 1 game

At any given time there are many new games available.
Lets say in 1 year there are 20 games that sell roughly 1 million copies at the same price.
20 games X 4 million for each = $80 million on games they didn't even make.
And the above is just an example it could be much more profitable than my example.

So, they won't stop selling consoles because there is good money to be made.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Satoru Iwata is correct. Just because one person plays an iOS or Android game doesn't mean that it's cutting into Nintendo's share. There isn't just 1 portable gaming pie that all three need to eat from. People can buy all three of either Nintendo's portable games and iOS or Android games. And they do cause Nintendo DS games and iOS/Android games are very different and serve different markets.

IMO portable gaming market is split into 2. The Nintendo/PSP markets which offer console type more engaged portable games and the iOS/Android games which offer simple causal pick it up "play it while on the toilet" type games. There is some overlap between those, but not enough for each to be fighting for the same market share.

luckshot

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]andd the new york times doesnt report technology. However, i read this believing to be news, not to be told that someone thinks i might be in the minority. Seriously?[/citation]

Technology is in the business section thursdays. Also, no offense, but you are retarded if you think that toms is the technology equivalent of NYT. Although I do agree they can be retardedly biased sometimes, like that Marcus Yam. He's an obvious apple fanboi and it shows in the columns.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
News or Opinion, it's just sloppy journalism to make false statements and still call yourself a professional, especially in a time when you can do a 10 second search and find the correct information. Nintendo owns all copyrights as Creatures and Pokemon Company are their subsidiaries, and all decisions regarding licensing are made by them in the long run. There is no presumption that Gamefreak owns about 1/3 and wouldn't dare bite their long term masters to make a quick buck.

I don't need to be an analyst to predict that investors don't like the idea of Nintendo trying to get back hardcore gamers. They want another Wii, they want Nintendo to get them more money, even if it means tricking casual players into buying another machine they barely use. The fact that investors don't like it is the best thing I've heard about this new system, because it means Nintendo isn't trying to get money here, they're trying to please console gamers. Matter of fact, the whole system, even the name Wii U, reeks of antisocial single player games. You can't even use more than one of the special controllers. This doesn't rule out the possibility of online multiplayer, but this is no party system for the family. It doesn't matter to them if they lose a share of the market, because they're still going to stick to their beliefs. Sony on the other hand is fully willing to try and copy the smartphone gaming scene. At the end of this, my "analyst" prediction is that Nintendo will still keep a decent share of mobile gaming thanks to people who prefer more substance, and NGP is going to sink like a stone due to the fact that they're trying to compete with already estabilished markets like iOS and Android without bringing much new to the table.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]luckshot[/nom]Technology is in the business section thursdays. Also, no offense, but you are retarded if you think that toms is the technology equivalent of NYT. Although I do agree they can be retardedly biased sometimes, like that Marcus Yam. He's an obvious apple fanboi and it shows in the columns.[/citation]
Not at all. The other person made the comparison to New york times. however, i'd like a bit less opinion and a bit more news. if you catch my drift.

The_One_and_Only

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I hate it when people say keep your opinion to yourself in comment sections. WTF do you think it is for? A comment IS an opinion. By saying keep your opinion to your self you are effectively saying your opinion is the only one that matters, and covering up the fact that what you are saying is your opinion.. follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.