Nintendo DS Flash Cards are Legal Says Judge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
... Random. Cut off my message. Anyway, Microsoft already offers a development package for the Xbox, for very cheap, and easy to get. This is different seeing as there is no easy or cheap way (that I know of) to develop for the DS.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Microsoft already offers a development package for the Xbox, for very cheap, and easy to get. This is different seeing as there is no easy or cheap way (that I know of) to develop for the DS.[/citation]

Well if you develop for the flash carts the tools are free Arm tool chain and all that. I think this judge believes things should be like they are on Windows where if you want too bad enough you can program and release something with out Microsoft's permission.

The problem is Nintendo does not like flash carts for obvious reasons lol There really is a lot of cool programs for the DS that just are not possible with out a flash cart.

Even a French judge won't side with a major producer of technological goods. I hope this signals to developers and other large companies that the "legal system" is going to read things like EULA to the letter and enforce it as such. Amen.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Now only if a judge made the Sony PSP an open platform (the dev kit is getting a lot cheaper though, $1,000 as compared to $1,500) for programs, not just games.
Seriously, how hard is it for Sony to give the PSP a damned alarm clock app already? Hell, just let us use the one the hackers already made on a PSPgo...

Kudos to this judge.
Long live open development.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Everyone knows that we have Wii and DS software comming out the Wazoo. Nintendo has made a killing by making developers pay a liscencing fee. That is the reason they excersize zero control over the shovel-ware that constantly appears on their platforms.
This lawsuit may take us to the plaace where developers don't have to pay that fee, like on Windows.

That's a win for cheaper games and developers, but a loss for cheaper consoles and Nintendo and Sony.

oldmangamer

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
If licensing fees go away, console hardware must be sold at a profit. This means a certain price increase, since only the Wii makes money today. Maybe portables are different.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
something just doesn't seem right with the ruling. windows is a general os that any developer can create apps for because microsoft wanted it to be that way. Apple chose to have more control of their os. Sony and Nintendo also chose to have some control over their IP. And probably MS too on Xbox. Can they be forced to relinquish control over their Intellectual Property? If yes, then does this apply to all the movies, songs, books?

G

I'm going to have to somewhat side with Nintendo on this, as console makers usually sell consoles at a loss then recoup on the games. Besides that, I'd have to say that 99% of the flash cards sold are used for piracy and not homebrew development. If Nintendo came out with their own consumer level development kit similar to XNA, then the flash cart manufacturers wouldn't have ground to stand on.

T-Bone

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Why are they control freaks? Just don't buy their stuff if you don't like it! I am no fan of Apple for that reason and others, so I don't buy their stuff. If we start to go down this route, then console prices will go up & maybe will have to compete with PCs...and then they'll fail & only MS will win as Apple will be forced to do same thing as consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS