Nintendo DS R4 Importer Sentenced to Prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

frish

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
What a joke, doesn't surprise me tho =/. Next they'll be sending people to prison for selling dvd players coz they can play pirated dvds. Seriously... It shouldn't be his responsibility that the consumers mostly use it for pirating.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]frish[/nom]What a joke, doesn't surprise me tho =/. Next they'll be sending people to prison for selling dvd players coz they can play pirated dvds. Seriously... It shouldn't be his responsibility that the consumers mostly use it for pirating.[/citation]
I prefer the analogy of an unloaded gun. Sure, you're probably not going to do anything illegal with an unloaded gun, but it's pretty easy to go find some bullets.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Does the R4 have any legit purposes though other then playing your pirated music and pirated games on it, your example sucks imo better example is to torrents that can have a legit purpose.

fflam

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
i thought a cupple of months ago a judge in Europe said there was nothing illegal about these devices. think he said something to the effect of there needs to be an easy way for people to make software for the device.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Guns are capable of killing people, but we(in the U.S. at least) do not drag people to court for purchasing an item that has the ability to cause death or great bodily harm. This is complete and utter bullshit.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]Guns are capable of killing people, but we(in the U.S. at least) do not drag people to court for purchasing an item that has the ability to cause death or great bodily harm. This is complete and utter bullshit.[/citation]
But in the UK that is not the case.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
The brittons have something funny in their tea, because this is complete bullshit! As a fan and supporter of indie games, this really disgusts me!

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
So him distributing something that has the potential to be used to infringe makes him as guilty as someone who infringes? (and I can go on about what I think about infringement) As said, bullshit.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Isn't this the same government that is adding surveillance cameras inside of private residences, for the children?

Agreed, BS.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Hell, I promise I won't pirate any games at all on my PSPgo if they unlock it and make it a open platform so I can legally use homebrew.
I mean it. (I want a damned alarm clock program on my PSP!)

I support piracy.
I do not support profiting from it (it's expensive for me to seed you know), so through all I care, screw this douchebag.

donaldduck

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
1 year in prison for importing and legally reselling a device that COULD be used for... copying games...
This is ridiculous, prison is for CRIMINALS, people who hurt others, "bad" people... Not for guys that sell a device that can be used to copy video games.
Ok, fine him, stop his activities, but prison? 1 year???
Damn, this system is crazy!

brookheather

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
Under what law was he actually convicted. There are still loads of UK sellers of the R4 so selling the device can't be illegal - I bought my R4 from Amazon UK last year in fact. Maybe he was prosecuted for not paying tax on imports or something similar?

- Simon.

G

I don't think we've been given the full details here, the R4 is not illegal in the UK. Maybe he was supplying game roms with the units. Does this mean that people who import blank DVDs will get prison too?

jaybus

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
You must take the loaded gun explanation a little further, else it is not a very accurate analogy. This case is saying "You have a loaded gun, and therefore you must have assassinated both JFK and Martin Luther King".

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Did you know that public drunkeness is ilegal?
So is carrying around an opened alcohol container.

That means that a cop can arrest you for picking up a can of booze that some one tossed on the side walk-- even if you're just carrying it to the trash can!

Point being I don't think anyones ever been arrested for that. This guy was aiding in theft and he knew it, as do we. It doesn't matter that there could be a plausible explaination because that explaination is nothing more than a hoax.

ss78

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Another case of big corporations changing and challenging freedoms and rights to suit their needs and greed. Sure it hasn't happened in the US....yet! You can bet it will happen sooner or later because these are capitalist countries after all, they are run by the rich and priveleged. How many poor heads of state are there in Europe and America? Now if your leaders, senators, MPs, etc.... are big investers in big business, do you think they will vote against their own welfare?

Now in this case, has this guy really hurt Nintendo's sales or is the opposite true? Has this device increased the DS's value, probably! In fact he might have indirectly encouraged others to buy the DS. I bought my first console because it could be chipped, I could never afford all the games I wanted to play and even though I did buy a few, I still got "fake" ones too. Just because I can't "hack" my console doesn't mean I will purchase every game I play. I could instead choose to buy them used and that would certainly put a dent in the ridiculous theory of lost revenue due to piracy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS