Nintendo Embarrassed to Be Sony, Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwave

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
He is right, Hi-Def isn't the next frontier, it is here now! I sure hope they put HD support in their next console, whatever it is.

idlerp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
You know what I like? Stealing images from Wikipedia and not attributing them to there proper sources as required by the creative commons license.

G

If Nintendo had been around in the 1920s, I bet they would have said the same thing about "talkies". Standard definition games definitely equals cheaper games, but at this point it seems like it would take more work to NOT make it at least HD-capable. I think you could build the processing power of the Nintendo Wii into a wristwatch... at least wearing it on your wrist would help keep the dust off.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Ok, I understand that PS Move is a complete copycat, but what does the neighbors of Nintendo of America copying in Project Natal? Looks like a completely different user experience to me.

gpj

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]davendork[/nom]IMHO Wii is meh. I think mine has 1/2 of dust on it under my HD TV.[/citation]

Then you probably need to spend a little less time on the computer and more time cleaning your house. :)

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I had a Mario Bros. wristwatch in elementary school (still have it somewhere in a box but I think its broken). It had one level (cause it was drawn onto the background of the LCD display), but the difficulty would increase. It was a fun time killer, when I wasn't caught by the teacher.

Anyway, I agree that Hi-Def is now (not the future) and it wouldn't hurt Nintendo to support it in the future. However, considering how many people don't own a high-def TV (and use a converter or basic cable), and how many TV shows (big-budget, like Family Guy) STILL aren't in Hi-Def, Nintendo isn't the only one not jumping on that bandwagon.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Ok, I understand that PS Move is a complete copycat, but what does the neighbors of Nintendo of America copying in Project Natal? Looks like a completely different user experience to me.[/citation]
Have you seen that commercial for the Jenny McCarthy workout game that comes bundled with the Wii Camera? The game uses the camera to determine if your body is in the correct pose/posture (i.e. you have successfully completed the exercise). Sure, its not (the yet to be demonstrated) real-time in-game control like Natal is supposed to be, but its a start (and when you already have motion-sensing controllers, who needs more?).

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
I agree with his point here. If you take a Wii and beef up the processor, gfx chipset, add more ram, big HDD etc you would have a HD Wii aka Playstation Move. Nintendo need to continue to innovate if they want to maintain their dominant position in the market.

Also I don't think it's fair to call Natal a copycat product.

G

Nintendo is quite stubborn at times..They didn't agree with changing from Cartridge to CDs..Then Midi to Ochestrated..Then they are always wonky with online..

Basically, if they didn't do it first, they don't want to use it.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]idlerp[/nom]You know what I like? Stealing images from Wikipedia and not attributing them to there proper sources as required by the creative commons license.[/citation]
I'd like to point-out that idlerp is right. This image was taken from Wikipedia and therefore there should be proper reference:
You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
I'm sure the next Nintendo system will support HD content, but I don't think that is Nintendo's focus. No, I'm sure they have some crazy interface in mind, and while I would expect the system to be more powerful than the PS3 and the 360, I don't expect it to focus solely on power and compare to Microsoft's and Sony's next generation of systems. I just hope Nintendo comes up with a better name for their next system.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Well maybe they will create something new. But with what I've seen we are still using the gamepad for the past, what, 20 years. Why no HD I don't quite understand.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
[citation][nom]Portent[/nom]If Nintendo had been around in the 1920s, I bet they would have said the same thing about "talkies". Standard definition games definitely equals cheaper games, but at this point it seems like it would take more work to NOT make it at least HD-capable. I think you could build the processing power of the Nintendo Wii into a wristwatch... at least wearing it on your wrist would help keep the dust off.[/citation]

Hmm you do know Nintendo has been around since like the 1800's ? Originally they made playing cards... Trivia FTW!!! lol

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I think I'd be more embarrassed to have a gaming library that consisted of mostly children's games, and 3rd party developers abandoning your console left and right because the other two systems allow them to create the kind of games they know everyone else wants.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Hi - Def is only 'kind of' now. Yes, the HDTV's are becoming more prevalent, but they are not yet in every home. That isn't a big deal, but the reality is that even on HDTV's, we are seeing too many people still use standard definition transmissions on them. Half the bars I go to have beautiful HDTVs but are using SDTV satellite signals or SDTV cable signals. HDTV is an 'extra' on satellite tv and cable TV. Very disappointing, and is holding HD back from being completely pervasive.
Quite frankly, I agree with Nintendo's premise. HD is not a necessity for gaming. Their games are truly innovative wit their input. I hate the console controller. I do not have a Wii myself, nor do I ever intend to get one, but I certainly enjoy playing it, over any other console, when with friends and family. Nobody cares how it looks. Everyone loves how it plays.

G

Those that don't think Natal is copycat. Um Sony has had the eye toy out for some time, and it recognizes movement to control games. Also many are forgetting that current PS3 controllers are motion sensitive (Bowling Anyone?). It's not that great but Sony has had motion controllers out since the PS3 was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.