Nintendo Investors Annoyed With Lack of iOS Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

tranzz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Nintendo would be foolish to develop for apple products. A 30% tax on all gaming profits and helping propel their biggest rival more casy would be stupid. If they wanted to branch out android is a better bet. They would have a better position to negotiate temrs and google would likely jump at the opertunity to expand games for tablets and smartphones.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
This is exactly why you don't blindly follow the advice of an investment firm. Nintendo is doing the right thing by not developing for their rival's platform. If anything Nintendo should make a rival phone kind of like what Sony is doing or better yet license out a gaming platform that can be run on top of Android/WebOS/iOS/BBOS etc.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
"Nintendo should aggressively make acquisitions or increase returns to its shareholders," said Ii, president of Tokyo-based Commons Asset Management Inc., which held 2,200 Nintendo shares as of February. "It’s management’s task to consider how to make use of the cash."

And then suddenly the housing market bubble pops and . . . oh wait, this is gaming. My bad, yea listen to the investors there's nothing that could possibly go wrong with buying out the flavor of the week on the casual 5 min to beat kinds of games. Those kinds of games are totally gonna stay around forever and no one will ever get bored with them and can totally sustain a failing market that was doing the exact same thing in 1985. I mean, the stock market will only crash once right? Right?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
An investor is out to make a quick buck and ride any and all the latest fads to the fullest.

A CEO is out there molding a company into a living art form so to speak. He isn't gonna build it up for something that doesn't last for longer than 5 minutes, just to throw it away for something else...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So the investors read the last Buzz letter and all of a sudden their investment should be all about the rival pretty much saying sorry we dont believe in our own products. Who are the real danger? The investors or the competition?

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
I doubt anyone official from Nintendo will see this, but here it goes.

1) Drop the Wii U. We don't want it, it will cost to much.
2) Give us what we do want, and Wii +. Give us HDMI, enough power to run modern games, etc. Open it up to developers so we get more 3rd party titles.
3) Admit that handheld consoles are done. We don't want to carry 5 devices with us. Limp along with the 3DS until you can get your smartphone gaming stuff setup. You don't need to develop for Apple, Droid is fine.
4) ???
5) Profit!

Azimuth01

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Dear Nintendo: I refer you to the following:

Valve has revealed that it has no interest in cashing in on its unique position by going public - because it couldn't handle the interference from shareholders.

-"All [companies that float] end up getting their customers changed," Valve's Erik Johnson told PC Gamer.

-"Any bad decision I ever see out there is because somebody created this different customer that was whoever funds them, and not the consumer of the product."

-Gabe Newell added: "You end up with a totally different set of decisions, and the person who's trying to design the experience is like' Okay, I guess we'll put Christopher Walken in our game."

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Gaming on a cell phone is stupid. You get to nuke your nuts, lose you hair etc while gaming for 4+ hours.

Sometimes I had to stop gaming on my iphone becuase my cell phone was on Edge and it was sucking the life out of me.

Oh ya, cell phones can only game for so long because they have crappy power problems.
On my iphone usually around 2-3 hours and I need to change my phone.

When I use my DS, I can game for hours ans hours !.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If they release a smart phone 2Ghz Quad-Core using latest greatest GPU with Android OS, using high quality controller and 4.5" screen..... I guess I'd get one.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
If nintendo develops for the iOS which is a big mistake, they should make a crappy limited game for it. So enough so people can get there jolly.

Also iOS games sell for way less ($1-9) compared to $20-$50 for a DS game, so there is no where near the same budget to develop a good game. No one will buy a $20 iphone game. Everyone that games on smartphones are cheap. I really don't know how anyone could make money making iOS games when the sell for so cheap, even if demand is high, and the fact Apply takes its apple tax, that leaves developers with next to nothing.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Investors are invested in many companies at once, so they have no loyalty, and they do not care about how a company doesn't want to contribute to the success of its competitors.

The investors in question probably own rotten apple stock, so they have an invested interest.

Obviously these investors are not unbiased.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Nintendo should do the following.

1) just be Nintendo. Develop for your own hardware (as long as you have it). NEVER develop for the competition, it will just eat your own marketshare.

2) Don't be fooled into Android. Android is as open as bank vault. A crooked platform and aparantly a money stash for rival companies (like Microsoft who piggy back on every e.g. HTC device sold or Oracle or every jack-shit ashole company in the goddamn world).

3) Just BE there. Don't dissapear, don't fade away amidst take-overs and other trouble. Just be calm, when you have success then save up the money for the bad times (they will come) and use your savings to keep afloat inbetween business-recessions. They come and go like the sun and the rain. Eventually ppl will come back. Once they realise that iOS is nothing more than a glorified mp3... euhm...sorry... AAC-player and that Android is a spiders-web into corporate turmoil.

Both platforms are fashion platforms. Targetted to the wrong audience.

E.g. iPhone is an ipod combined with a cell-phone. But iPod's are for youth unfortunatly the iPhone is so expensive that youth can't afford them so they end up in the hands of business-men. But iPhone is not designed with business-ppl in mind! Wrong product for the current market.

The facts are this. The only smartphones with games in mind are currently the SE Xperia play and a long forgotten Nokia model from some distant past.

Let's be honest, playing games on a touch screen just SUCKS!

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"If they release a smart phone 2Ghz Quad-Core using latest greatest GPU with Android OS, using high quality controller and 4.5" screen."

Compare the actual specs of a Wii to a typical smartphone and I think you'll find that the phone is already well beyond the Wii levels [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Technical_specifications]

Most smartphones and tablets should have no problem handling games pretty much in the middle of a Wii and PS3

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Since the iPad is a toy it's just plain logical that it would run games like a console.

...unless its hardware specs are too low to match a console.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I kind of agree with the investors. While I disagree that we don't need "yet another" console, the gaming industry is clearly going towards phones and tablets. It might just be a fad, but that's where the money is for now.

Nintendo doesn't have to invest considerable time and money in this, they simply have to port their AAA titles from the NES to Gamecube era. Fast and easy money.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Meh, I am happy with what Nintendo is doing. Focusing on innovative products rather than raw power. Microsoft's Kinect has supplanted this a bit, which I think is a good thing. But I don't need HD games. I need FUN games. Games that have creative stories and more creative game mechanics. I don't need another 3rd person shooter. Or even 1st person shooter. Part of the reason games like Super Metroid were so fun was the limitations and progression of fewer restrictions on movement provided by a 2d environment...

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]I doubt anyone official from Nintendo will see this, but here it goes.1) Drop the Wii U. We don't want it, it will cost to much.2) Give us what we do want, and Wii +. Give us HDMI, enough power to run modern games, etc. Open it up to developers so we get more 3rd party titles.3) Admit that handheld consoles are done. We don't want to carry 5 devices with us. Limp along with the 3DS until you can get your smartphone gaming stuff setup. You don't need to develop for Apple, Droid is fine.4) ???5) Profit![/citation]

How can something cost too much when we dont even know what the official price will be? ;) It could be $200. it could be $400. All we've heard in rumors is 300 to 350 range but nothing concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.