Nintendo: Must differentiate From iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I thought the SD slot was only for storing data, not games. You must mean the DS cart slot for games going back to 2004 right? The DS cart's are not SD cards, just to be clear.

G

They are absolutely in competition. My 9 year old is having a hard time deciding if she'd rather get a DSi or iTouch from Santa and my vote is for the iTouch which has free downloadable games, and very inexpensive ones. Buy a few games for the DSi and you're way over what you spend on an iTouch.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
so what are you going to do give a kid a 300 + dollar device and have to monitor which games they buy or buying in general on it. Or are they going to give them a DS or whatever protable device for $150 that they can monitor what they are playing?

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
the ipod touch is not a gaming device, the ds is a gaming device. those who want to play games on a portable know that they don't buy an ipod touch but rather buy a ds handheld system. the ipod touch is what you call a pda or whatever the current terms are for them. the ipod touch is also classified as a multimedia device, one that allows users to use it for all entertainment purposes. but the trick it, the ipod touch was meant to kill the original ipod. so in the end, most people bought the ipod for multimedia purposes [listening to music and watching videos].

aaronb09

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
most of the games on the Ipod touch blow really badly and the touch controls are more annoying then fun most of the time..

djayjp

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
anything beyond straightforward/simplistic action games are impossible or frustrating on itouch (I've owned one for 1 year and have more than a hundred games on it). Only slow games are really feasible on it (though I have yet to play Eliminate Pro). That said, the ability to play emulated GBA games on it is pretty cool, even if you can only really play slow/RPG-style games.

G

The more game companies start optimizing for the platform, the better the games become. I remember about a couple of years ago, the games on iphone/ipod really stunk. Now they are coming out with some really good titles. Multiplayer/online is where the recurring money is and the iphone/ipod really lends itself well here. Being able to impulse buy from the app store versus taking the effort to go to the gamestore and get the game is also more lucrative.

Nintendo ought to do away with the whole cartridge thing and form something up like steam or the app store.

Status
Not open for further replies.