Nintendo Shares Fall 5-Yr Low After Wii U Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

In 5 years Facebook will be nothing and the big N will still be printing money.

G

Okay, this is a bit strange. I think this is the first time I have ever hear of Nintendo being accused of paying too much attention to hardware. They are typically wanting in this category. Futhermore, whats this about Nintendo going after "hard core gamers"? You have to water down the definition of "hard core gamers" quite a bit to say that anyone who has ever touched a Wii is a hard core gamer. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Fuck these "industry analysts", i'm going to blow 500 bucks for the machine and 2 controllers just to spite them. . . i'm behind you big N.

G

"It's not that we're negative about the network, but if we ignore those customers who don't link their game consoles up to the Internet, that goes against our strategy of expanding the games market," , This one quote makes me happy, (I don't connect my games to the internet)

greeve

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Kudos to Nintendo. If i wanted to play f*cking Farmville and other social media horse crap I'd just use my phone. There is still a market for people who want to play real games and invest more then 5 minutes a day doing crap.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
So the gaming industry will be destroyed by women playing Farmville and angry birds. That's also why there are no new consoles and why every PC game looks like it was made five years ago.

PCGOD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
ah yes, another "facebook gaming is the future" article. these always give me a good chuckle. "why would someone play teh xbox when i can plays my farmville for free? durdurdurhduuurh"

G

I am sooooooooooooooooo sick of hearing about how facebook is changing the world. ITS SO STUPID. GET OVER IT.

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
These "industry analysts" could be intentionally driving share prices down and will be buying shares when it hits bottom and cash in when wii u becomes a hit, so does this mean Buy Nintendo shares while its down?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
paragraph one : GAMERS dont give a flying @$%@ about iphone "bire sized" games, as almost all of them are crap shovel ware, worse than most wii games. and no self respecting gamer plays farmville, only the casual cancer than ruins gaming (they buy the crap no one else would buy, creating a market that no gamer wants.

paragraph two : the only gameing marke crash that could happen is nintendo, because they got the casual crowd and the quality of 97% of the games is abysmal, where even the worst 360 game is better than most wii games. and will write hasnt been relevant to gaming in years (left the hard core for causal cashins) his opinion means nothing.

paragraph 3 : what, the wii cant sell to everyone because everyone has the damn thing already, of coarse the sales will go down when EVERYONE HAS ONE.

paragraph 4 : those inverters can die for all i care, the last thing i want is the wii to become a facebook hub. the wii, finally came to where everyone else has been for years and is giving us something new.

paragraph 5 : why do we care about his opinion? someone tell me this.

paragraph 6 : so... they lost less than 6% of investers... lets assume that it will hit 10% does nintendo need this 10% or would they want to print money again?

paragraph 7 : and very casual, with some core games mixed in the bunch.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I'm buying Nintendo shares tomorrow if they are still at a 5 year low. What were these industry experts expecting-- a 3d hologram system? Nintendo has been in business for over 100 years & very rarely loses money.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]james123456[/nom]Okay, this is a bit strange. I think this is the first time I have ever hear of Nintendo being accused of paying too much attention to hardware. They are typically wanting in this category. Futhermore, whats this about Nintendo going after "hard core gamers"? You have to water down the definition of "hard core gamers" quite a bit to say that anyone who has ever touched a Wii is a hard core gamer. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.[/citation]

hard core is a vague definition now.

casual are the games like angry birds, and shovelware titles
core are games like zelda, mario galaxy, and such.

at least thats how it gets applied. never realy though mario or zelda were hard core games as everyone plays them. [citation][nom]Joshithenoob[/nom]"It's not that we're negative about the network, but if we ignore those customers who don't link their game consoles up to the Internet, that goes against our strategy of expanding the games market," , This one quote makes me happy, (I don't connect my games to the internet)[/citation]

all my consoles are on the interent but i dont play online, its for the store.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]So the gaming industry will be destroyed by women playing Farmville and angry birds. That's also why there are no new consoles and why every PC game looks like it was made five years ago.[/citation]

you know, i agree with why its dieing, people chasing those games. but honesly, i love that the pc is held back... i hated vista, and if games with dx10 i wouldnt have played them... i basicly just have till next cycle, after than pc gaming is dead.

i also despised that before consoles, pc developers never really optimized their engines, and jsut planned to throw more hardware at the problems.

[citation][nom]rottingsheep[/nom]even investors that don't play console games know how bad the controller is.[/citation]

controllers awesome. however im waiting to see how its used, because i can see great games, and i can see bad ideas.

G

Industry folk are lame. Do they really know gamers? There is a whole spectrum of gamers. There's the casual gamer, the inbetween, and the hardcore gamer. Im personally not attracted to this new nintendo machine, but if a few games come out for it that I find attractive to my taste, I would buy it. No attractive games on it, then I wont be buying it. I don't give a #&* about socializing on my game system. Thats what my PC and phone are for.

G

When I saw the reveal I wasn't really psyched at all, I was pretty indifferent.

Like others have said, this article makes me want to buy one just to spite them. I'm absolutely sick and tired of social networking and I quite frankly can't wait for it to just all die off already.

Same goes for the 3D fad.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I dropped FB like a bad habit. I'm hoping others do the same. Ugg... social networking.. When will the fad die out so we can all get back to enjoying our good old consoles again? I'm behind you on this one Nintendo. Game on!

G

I work in film, not games, but I follow my peers in game production very closely and am an avid gamer. It seems to me that the gaming industry will never be saved by a new console. The problem with the industry is threefold:

1) Corporate, intellectual property-driven development and industry-following practices which recycle "proven" games into sequel after sequel, stifles true market innovation. This strategy, most often pushed by publishing company executives and not by game developers themselves, retreads tired ideas with so-called "innovative gameplay" that emphasizes a new effect or gimmick. Film houses which capitalize on action concepts fell into this trap in the 1990s after a long run begun in the 80s which became increasingly over the top and ridiculous with advances in special effects. Games are being sent out that are more or less the same experience with a slightly more robust hardware requirement, not unlike the increasing reliance of the action film on special effects over acting and story which eventually choked the market. Until player experience is cultivated as carefully as branding without prioritizing gloss over substance, the games industry will continue to suffer hit-driven peaks followed by extended falloff. Developers, not gamers, are ultimately responsible for the drive towards steeper hardware requirements.

2) Licensing and distribution fees, as well as the industry's failure to amortize development costs, build in high, non-value-added product markups. While developers obviously recognize that the mainstream market does not pay $60-$70 for a game - only the devoted hardcore will pay this much for the experience - it has responded by throwing shovelware at the remainder of the market instead of leveling costs across the board. If the movie industry followed this model, hit movies would cost $25-30 per ticket for their first year in release, while the core of the moviegoing public would be paying $3-5 to see movies now put out straight to DVD. The mainstream market would stay small and only the largest hit titles would ever make enough money to reduce ticket prices low enough to draw a mainstream audience.

3) Game industry software development practices lack discipline and have lagged far behind their more practical industry counterparts. Superficially imposing executives with MBAs to shoehorn corporate milestones over a creative team can only work on occasion. Until the games industry internally comes to grips with a culture that emphasizes rogue development paired with marathon programming and development sessions to meet deadlines rather than using sound processes to make the whole course of development (and the workplace) more stable and predictable, it will continually bleed money out to abortive projects which increase costs across the board. Creative teams in the games industry need to take notes from the film industry's best practices and closely examine the parallel excesses of its worst.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Until the system is released to the public, there is no way to know how the public will react to it. From an annoucment point of view, I think this system is more gimmick than serious gaming system. Also, how will they attempt to integrate the system into the whole entertainment segment which includes apps like Netflix or Live TV? Considering that Nintendo went through the process of using similar processor and graphics that Microsoft is currently using, it would probably benefit them to see if they can get 360 games to work on their console.

I currently see two major failures for Nintendo at this point in time. 3DS and this new Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.