Nintendo Switch 2 could be a true powerhouse with this breakthrough

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Potentially yes, although I would hope they would use a more potent form of the chip going into phones.

The real issue would be compatibility. nVidia basically wrote a custom API for the switch much like they did for the original Xbox. When Microsoft went to them to license those custom api functions to make the 360 backwards compatible nVidia wanted to charge them an amount so ridiculous that Microsoft just flat out said no.

So this new potentially AMD/Samsung powered switch 2 wouldn't be compatible with old switch titles unless nVidia licensed their custom API for a reasonable price.. which is highly unlikely.

I don't think nintendo has the ability to reverse engineer it without violating any patents either and even if they did there could be things in the existing contract that prohibits it.

The switch was a easy money grab for nVidia. They used a chip designed in 2011 and released in 2012 in the nexus tablet line. Why they didn't go with a newer chip is a mystery since the difference in cost would have been basically non-existent.

exudos194

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
Potentially yes, although I would hope they would use a more potent form of the chip going into phones.

The real issue would be compatibility. nVidia basically wrote a custom API for the switch much like they did for the original Xbox. When Microsoft went to them to license those custom api functions to make the 360 backwards compatible nVidia wanted to charge them an amount so ridiculous that Microsoft just flat out said no.

So this new potentially AMD/Samsung powered switch 2 wouldn't be compatible with old switch titles unless nVidia licensed their custom API for a reasonable price.. which is highly unlikely.

I don't think nintendo has the ability to reverse engineer it without violating any patents either and even if they did there could be things in the existing contract that prohibits it.

The switch was a easy money grab for nVidia. They used a chip designed in 2011 and released in 2012 in the nexus tablet line. Why they didn't go with a newer chip is a mystery since the difference in cost would have been basically non-existent.
Not Quite, the chip used in Nexus 7 is the Tegra 3, and the one used in the Nexus 9 is the Tegra 4. The Switch uses the Tegra X1/X1+ released in 2015/2019 (X1+ being a slgihtly faster revision for Gen2 Switch).

The switch was released in 2017 and used the X1 released midway 2015. With the exception of the cpu/gpu used by the iphone, i dont there was a more capable chip they could've used, at the time they started developing the switch.

if they had waited any longer, Nvidia might not have actually put any more effort into the Nvidia Shield series either, since the economies of scale required to produce and develop those systems, wouldnt make sense.