Nintendo Unveils Wii U Controller, new 3DS Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Does the controller seem over sized to anyone else? I mean I haven't used it or anything, just a first impression of course.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
The controller does seem over sized but it all depends on how the game developpers use it.

I can see it as being great for games like Mario Party, where every person has one of those to play, especially for mini games, or any game with an item inventory for you to pick from, or for you to solve puzzles / unlock doors / require additional user input etc.

Secondary display AND touch functionnality is a first in the tv console department, now let's see how they use it!

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Weird... I'm definitely going to wait on this one just like I waited for the Wii and see if the market proves its popularity. No point jumping in and getting it if there are no games or nobody buys it.

G

ummm... why would you want to look at a little tablet screen instead of your 60" plasma? I just don't understand the concept of how this could be implemented. I have to see someone's idea that makes it useful.

pangedit

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Another problem is when the buttons starts to wear out. I usually buy 3 controllers a year because the thumb pads wear out quickly. If this thing costs a fortune its gonna be a problem for me XD

G

[citation][nom]Torque80[/nom]ummm... why would you want to look at a little tablet screen instead of your 60" plasma? I just don't understand the concept of how this could be implemented. I have to see someone's idea that makes it useful.[/citation]
Useful as a method to deter teh screen haxxors

aleh1811

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
It seems rather clunky to be honest, but the idea of somestimes playing in a different room than where the console is or while allowing other members of my family to use the tv does seem useful.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Torque80[/nom]ummm... why would you want to look at a little tablet screen instead of your 60" plasma? I just don't understand the concept of how this could be implemented. I have to see someone's idea that makes it useful.[/citation]
ign has first hand impressions of the controller functionality and concept, and they're very positive. One major point they made is despite immediate impressions that the controller is bulky and awkward, it's actually surprisingly light and ergonomic in the hands. Just by looking at the images I find this hard to believe, but then again I haven't used it. The Wii U is also backwards compatible with all Wii peripherals (Wiimote), and can play all games dating back to the GameCube straight off the disk.

...and FINALLY, 1080p native gaming resolution on a console. 50GB blu-ray discs for game media.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1173582p1.html

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
...and these aren't official specs from Nintendo, but these are some supposedly leaked hardware specs for the Wii U console:

Graphics: Custom AMD RV770 Chip “WOLF” @ 766Mhz on 32nm process 1398 Gflops
CPU: Custom IBM Power 6 Chip “FOX” on 32nm process
4 cores, each two way SMT-capable and clocked at 3.5 GHz
175.9 GFLOPS theoretical peak performance (single-precision)
87.6 GFLOPS theoretical peak performance (double-precision)
Memory: 512 MB XDR2 DRAM main memory
+ 1024 GDDR5 video memory
+ 16 MB eDRAM
Storage: 2.5-inch SATA hard drive with 250 GB / 320 GB capacity
Expanded storage via SD and SDHC card memory (up to 64 GB)
Media: Custom Blu-ray Disc, up to 50 GB
Compatible with 7 cm Nintendo GameCube Game Disc and 12 cm Wii Optical Disc
Display: Video output formats
Composite video: 480i, 576i (PAL)
S-Video: 480i, 576i (PAL)
RGB SCART: 480i, 576i (PAL)
Component (YPBPR): 480i, 576i (PAL), 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
D-Terminal: 480i (D1), 480p (D2), 720p (D4), 1080i (D3), 1080p (D5)
HDMI: 480p, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

Pretty impressive, and slightly higher performance then the previous rumored specs. If this is true then the Wii U will be significantly more powerful then either the Xbox360 or PS3. Although in typical Nintendo fashion, it's still underpowered by modern 2012 PC standards. The upcoming Sony/Microsoft consoles will no doubt outperform this.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/wii-2-possible-leaked-specifications/

pastydavid

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I don't know. You will probably get one of the screen controllers with the system. I'm thinking additional controllers will cost $100 minimum - ouch! It sounds like they will make more conventional controllers. Nintendo has some cool ideas, but on the other hand, what are the specs of this system? Will it surpass the 360 and PS3? I feel like they are just getting caught up and in a couple years the truly next gen systems will be released. The Wii U will be outdated quick. Sounds like a gimmick to sell a bunch of systems. I'll wait a few years for them to drop the price and release a black version of the console. They should have different colors out the door. Although the white is kind of nostalgic.

jscampbe

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
The concept I think is sound if you really think about it. In multi-player games each person will have their own screen to work off of and the big screen would then be split...or even an over arching camera view going to special angles for big moves in a game (headshot in BF3, passing another player in Mario Kart) Could be a very cinematic thing for the TV and POV for the controller. Awesome if they do it right.

One thing Nintendo has always had is revolutionary controllers and I think this new one will not disappoint either. I remember looking at each new controller generation and wondering how it would work and Nintendo has always come through.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
According to leaked hardware info, the WiiU has more horsepower then the 360/PS3. Honestly, I can't see WiiU going past 399.99. 250-300 for the console box and 100 for the controller. Add in some freebie game and it will sell. Nintendo always aims for a much bigger marketing window then M$ and Sony. They have a lot of appeal for "casual" gamers and family oriented softwares. Add in 1st party software like Zelda, SSB, Super Mario in 1080p and the "hardcore" gamer base won't be able to look away. I personally think it is a very good window frame. They pretty much juiced the Wii audience and with the release of 3DS for multi platform communication technology, they have a chance to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Even if Sony and M$ release a new beefy console in 2014, the WiiU will have a bigger library, much lower price point, and casual appeal. Think about it, what can Sony and M$ come out with? The majority of consumers have recently filled their living rooms with a 1080p HDTV, think they will drop another $1000+ for a better TV in 2014? People will, but not the majority.

When people asked why Nintendo didn't release a Wii HD in 2009, the response was, "We will, when the majority of households are ready for it." Now they are.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
this is the best dumb game console i've ever heard of.

Seriously, the cost will be astronomical considering the big N never loses money on hardware and the thing appears to be as hefty as the current offerings by sony and m$. never mind each of those controllers will probably be around 80-100 bucks each if current trends are any suggestion (wireless controllers generally cost about 50 bucks with no touchscreen capability)

and how are you going to use that tablet as a wii-mote for old games? imagine playing baseball with that thing, more like cricket lol.

in any case, i'm interested in how this plays out. If it's got the games to back it up i might be in.

gammaraptor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Super Smash... that would be interesting. Only time will tell. meh. technology gets outdated so quickly nowadays, it's nice to see something new anyhow....

Status
Not open for further replies.