Nintendo: We Won't Cut Wii Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
one reason why there are no price drops is to ensure that everyone gets treated equally. if they suddenly drop prices, consumers would hold back and wait until the price is even cheaper. but by not lowering prices, it forces consumers to buy now as if you buy later it would not make a difference.

this is a good thing because if you buy now, you'll be with the flow of the contents that is being offered when you buy the system. if you bought the system suppose when the wii get's at the cheapest price, then you missed the content opportunity that was offered during it's prime years.

this is also a good thing because it helps to integrate you into the systems features, the wii's motions controller, online features, etc....

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
In the past couple months I have seen the number of wii's go from maybe 1 out of every ten visits or so to today I saw a stack of over 75 at bestbuy. So how bad will supply be and a month we shall wait and see. Of course nintendo says buy them the first chance you get. I will say that due to the xbox 360s price drop I think that both the wii and ps3 are both overpriced.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I could not agree more. Nintendo has ALWAYS dropped prices by this time after a system release. Considering I pay almost as much for a DS as a PSP and a WII is more then a core(arcade) X-box 360? bahhhh.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Put it another way. The main reason you "are" seeing Wiis in stock at Best Buy and other stores is mainly due to Microsoft lowering the price of the XBOX 360 to $199.00

Prior to this, Nintendo was riding the "limited avilablity" train all the way to the bank.

If Microsoft didn't lower its price, there would still be massive "shortages" around the country.

Like a stated in a previous post, the federal gov should probe this matter... there must be someone from Congress that "couldn't" get one when it "first" came out!!

G

I agree with Nintendo i've never seen a Wii in any kind of store where I live heck I didn't even see a Wii at a wal mart store near where my sisster lives.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
there still hard to find here in Canada i rarely see Wiis on the shelf at stores in my area. face it fanboi's the wii is the top console this generation as far as hardware sales are concerned and if i were Nintendo i would agree why lower a price on a console when it is still selling out? anyone who disagrees with that just doesn't know how business works and if you do have a business it will not last a day with that frame of mind

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Just FYI... I have been seeing a pallet-load of Wiis at Best Buy's entrance. This been going on for two weeks now so made me wonder.

I may buy the 360 elite simply because it's a better console with updated graphics.

Nintendo needs to come out with a new Wii to stay competitive.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Just FYI... I have been seeing a pallet-load of Wiis at Best Buy's entrance. This been going on for two weeks now so made me wonder.I may buy the 360 elite simply because it's a better console with updated graphics.Nintendo needs to come out with a new Wii to stay competitive.[/citation]

Not they don't. They're not marketing towards gamers. It's less of a game console and more of a novelty device. It's also a necessary evil. While it may set back gaming a few generations, it certainly staves off another crash.

I just hope other companies don't follow it's suit with novelty underpowered system, and stupid minigame collections.

Heyyou27

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
In the month of October, Nintendo sold 803,000 in the U.S. vs 371,000 360s and 190,000 PS3s. Sony has to drop the price because American consumers basically do not care about quality or value as much as they care about finding the lowest price. Even the crippled 360 Arcade is capable of doing a lot more than the Wii is, and add to the fact that there is a generation hardware gap, only a fool would buy a Wii over a 360 or PS3.

G

I own both a 360 and a Wii. Honestly the Wii was the worst purchase ever. Its nice to play every now and then but niether my parents or my sister plays it. It just gathers dust in my TV stand. I probably would have bought a PS3 if I already didn't own a 360 but with NXE comming out and the 360 being so juicy at that price its not worth buying a PS3 anymore, there are much cheaper blu-ray players that are just as good to serve its purpose.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I love my wii. But outside of first party games (SSBB, SMG, MetriodP3, MarioKartWii, ZeldaTP (which was really a gamecube-turned-wii game)), i NEVER play it.

The point in saying that is not to bash the wii, but rather to show you that it is not truly a gaming (traditional definition) system. Only Nintendo is making quality games for the wii and that really lessens it's appeal as a gaming system. That being said, it has never been marketed as a pure gaming system. It has been marketed as motion-entertainment.

What i'm getting at is that, try as you might, you really can't compare the wii to the 360 or ps3 because they are just not the same. So what if the 360 cost less than the wii? A significant portion of wii costumers (non-hardcore-gamers) would never even consider a 360 anyway, whereas most potential ps3 costumers have probably considered a 360 as well due to the existence of multi-platform games.

It comes down to this simple fact, $249 is the price for this motion-entertainment system (not just a gaming system), and until another company can release a product in this genre that fills this niche, the wii will hold its dominant monopoly at whatever price-point they desire.

Nintendo has succeded greatly, but as tindytim mentioned, it is due to the fact that microsoft and sony has remained adhered to the genre.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Darkk[/nom]Just FYI... I have been seeing a pallet-load of Wiis at Best Buy's entrance. This been going on for two weeks now so made me wonder.I may buy the 360 elite simply because it's a better console with updated graphics.Nintendo needs to come out with a new Wii to stay competitive.[/citation]

If they make a wii with a hd4850 and bundle it with wii fit or the like, I may for the first time ever own a console. (not counting the amiga500 as a console)

Status
Not open for further replies.