Nintendo: Why the Mario Party Is Over

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
I think your position and Opinion on Nintendo are silly and Extremely narrow. You must want them to make games for your phone. Well whatever, I think that they are the best first party videogame company there is, who is going to argue with me. Microsoft and Sony can't make anything worth a shit, they rely nearly exclusively on third party development studios. Like you mentioned in your article The big N has released a bunch of titles on the Wii U and the incoming games seem even better that what we already have. PC gaming for Us Adults, Nintendo for the munchkins.

Perhaps you should just download flappy birds.

Andrew Holmes

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
1. The Same could be said about Infinity. What made parents buy Infinity after the release of Skylanders? It was the memorable cast of characters, and Nintendo has just as many memorable characters. There are more games to come that can use Amiibo, and I would imagine there will be plenty of figures, even if some are tied to games with a limited cast of characters

2. While nothing compared to Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo had sizable 3rd party content. Xenoblade, Devils Third, Bayonetta, Fantasy Life, Just Dance, Lego Batman, Sonic Boom, Watchdogs, and Monster Hunter to name a few.

3. Just because Toad and Yoshi are preexisting characters, doesn't mean the gameplay won't be unique. They are both fresh experiences that feature familiar faces. I understand that Toad doesn't seem incredibly unique, but there are added features and gameplay mechanics that were missing in the previous mini game. And the same can be applied to other Nintendo games from E3: Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker, and Kirby Rainbow Curse all bring something new to the table

4.You say Nintendo needs to make games with original characters, and they are doing just that as we speak. Two of their biggest games feature new characters: Splatoon and Codename STEAM

5.Where did Reggie ever say that broadcasting was not fun. I would say Nintendo had the largest live stream presence this year. The Digital Event, while not live, allowed them to make the broadcast more fun, removed any chance of error, and made Japanese to English translation easy. But more importantly, Nintendo had nearly 8 hours of live streaming on the show floor all three days. They brought E3 to the fan more than either of the other companies.

While I agree that Nintendo needs a larger mobile presence, I still find this article to be incredibly narrow minded and inconsiderate. Yes, Nintendo has its problems and needs to step it up a bit, but I think many of these criticisms are unfounded.

WSJ4L

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Oh boy, another armchair analyst that thinks they can run Nintendo.

"Nintendo's finances, consumer base and developer interest have been swirling down the drain of gaming obscurity. And nothing the company behind Mario showed at E3 2014 will change that."

The Wii U is now profitable, and Wii U sales are on the up after Mario Kart 8. It's now outsold the PS4 in Japan for almost a month.

"Example one: Amiibo. There's a difference between fashionably late and tragically late — and Nintendo's Amiibo interactive toy line is the latter."

What makes you think it's too late? If marketed right, this could be huge for Nintendo. Did you mention that you can buy one Amiibo and use it across multiple games, but with Skylanders, you have to keep buying new ones each time a new game comes out?

"Even more worrisome are the games Nintendo is attaching to the platform. Outside of "Super Smash Bros." and "Mario Party," other titles Nintendo is pairing with the figurines include "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker" and "Yoshi's Woolly World.""

Why is this worrisome? Oh, and it's coming to Mario Kart 8 and various other games Nintendo hasn't announced yet.

"But the third-party aspect of the equation will be woefully deficient, and Nintendo did nothing at E3 2014 to indicate it was breaking that cycle. Out of the 13 games that the company announced, only three — "Bayonetta 2," "Fantasy Life" and "Xenoblade Chronicles X" — are being developed by other companies. (Nintendo will offer smaller third-party titles, such as "Shovel Knight," via the Nintendo eShop.)"

You didn't mention Bayonetta 1, Devil's Third, developed by Valhalla, and Hyrule Warriors, which Nintendo is collaborating with Tecmo Koei for.

""Xenoblade Chronicles X" is among the few Wii games announced at E3 that will not be produced by Nintendo."

I had no idea that X was coming to the Wii.

""Xenoblade Chronicles X," with its giant mecha battles, should do decent numbers with the Wii U crowd, as will the role-playing game "Fantasy Life," with its cutesy art style and simple controls. As for "Bayonetta 2," its stylish violence and sometimes nearly nude female protagonist don't really fit in on a family-friendly console."

Bayonetta 2's already doing pretty well on the Amazon sales charts in Japan.

"In another huge red flag, the majority of these new games aren't slated until 2015. So in the meantime, Nintendo hopes the Amiibo platform will be successful enough to keep the ship floating until the New Year. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket."

Yep, it's not like there are any games coming to the Wii U this year, right?

"So at E3 2014, we had our "Mario Kart," a "Legend of Zelda" announcement, "Smash Bros." and even more "Pokemon." A number of new intellectual properties debuted, but with the exception of "Splatoon," all of them revolved around an established character in the Nintendo universe."

I'm fairly sure Mario Kart 8 wasn't shown off at E3, as it had been out for 2 weeks. And what's wrong with having new IPs based off of already established characters? If that's how Nintendo makes their money and if it's what the fans want, then what's the problem? Oh, and I think you're forgetting a little game called "Project S.T.E.A.M.".

"There's "Yoshi's Wooly World," a spiritual sequel to "Kirby's Epic Yarn," which itself looked an awful lot like Sony's "Little Big Planet." For "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker," Nintendo took a segment from "Super Mario 3D World" and broke it out into a full-fledged game. Since Yoshi is pulling yarn duty, Kirby will star in "Kirby and the Rainbow Curse."

Psst, Nintendo! Hey, listen! I'm going to need you to create some more original titles that don't use an established Nintendo character. Please, and thank you."

Yoshi's Woolly World looks nothing like Little Big Planet. The only similarity they have is that they're both platformers. And again - Splattoon and Project S.T.E.A.M.. Nintendo isn't like Sony where they just pull new IPs out of their asses and they sell like shit. They like to fall back on their older, successful franchises BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT THAT'S WHERE THEIR MONEY WILL COME FROM.

"Why? Because, according to Fils-Aime, broadcasting your gaming prowess to other gaming fans simply isn't fun."

Stop twisting his words. He meant that it was more fun to actually PLAY games than to stream them. The Wii U is a GAMES console, after all.

"More than anything, Nintendo needs to soften its stance on mobile games. Instead of releasing toothless mobile Web portals to existing titles or using apps to tether mobile devices to Nintendo 3DS, the company should do what legions of fans having been begging it to do: make mobile games. As it stands, releasing lame companion apps is not enough to convince gamers to plunk down money on another console featuring more of the same."

I can't believe this notion hasn't died yet. What "fans" have been begging Nintendo to make games for mobiles? The same fans who have bought over 41 million 3DSes worldwide? Sorry to burst your bubble, but Nintendo is NOT and will NEVER go mobile.

"Nintendo could be seen as the Apple of the video game industry. The company has never been afraid to march to the beat of its own drum, exerting an iron grip on its properties and taking calculated risks. When the formula works, you get masterpieces such as "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time" and the original Wii. When it fails, you end up with the disastrous "Superman 64" and the struggling Wii U."

What the hell? Superman 64 wasn't even developed nor pubished by Nintendo!

"In the past decade, Nintendo has achieved dizzying heights with the Wii. It’s also sunk to shocking lows, reporting a $457 million loss in May 2014, that’s becoming a disturbing recurring theme."

Again, the Wii U is now profitable and they're enjoying high sales of games such as Mario Kart 8, so they should be returning to normal profits soon. Plus, most of that loss came from them building a new headquarters. And you know what is disturbing and recurring? The fact that the Xbox division is costing Microsoft $2 billion dollars a year, and shareholders want it axed. The fact that Sony has lost billions of dollars over the last few years and have had to sell headquarters, sell other divisions and lay off staff just to stay afloat. Yet where are all your articles talking about that, saying what Microsoft and Sony need to do to turn their fortunes around?

This is such a stupid and narrow-minded article. It's articles like these that claim to want Nintendo to succeed, yet spread such blatant misinformation about them that people are tricked into thinking they are the ones in trouble. Yet in reality, they look like the ones most likely to make it into the 9th gen.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
I tried to find a place to complaint about this non sense article. Seriously!
It's not because you put it as "Opinion" that you can build your own vendetta.

It's like a child who said "He hate broccoli and spit it!!! Everybody should burn broccoli!!!".
But when you're a real adult, you just say "I don't like it". And you can understand that other people could like broccoli. :)
So you should grow up and try to understand all good point explain by people like WSJ4L. He take time to bring real number and explain what you didn't try to understand.

On a sumarry idea, Nintendo action go up because people really liked what they see at e3. So what is your opinion in all this? Just a narrow-minded article trying to scare people.

foxmcloud555

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
When I was 5 years old I picked up my first controller. I was instantly hooked. My parents kept a close eye on me and monitored the time I could play for. My grandpa had been a larger man and depression made him sedentary. His health declined in the face of his gradually expanding waist, and one of my earliest memories is of my mother's anguish at the realisation his final days were approaching. After this my parents became more actively interested in leading healthy lifestyles, and got me enrolled into many different sports and physical activities. I've been fit and healthy all my life, but now I feel a wave of disappointment at my time spent looking after my body, because your article has just given me cancer.

Yheetak

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
I have to say I read many gaming articles and I've never seen an article that made me swear as I was reading. You are beyond biased in that you twist data to match your little pessimistic world of opinions and you really should not be a journalist with such qualities. I'm not a fan of all things Nintendo does but I do know that they can make a hell of a game. Throughout the article you are so passive aggressive that it makes me think you have some personal vendetta against the company. If you are intentionally trying to be insulting, why don't you get your facts straight first, as above commenter has laid out piece by piece.

MisterRuddis

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
One of THE WORST and most ILL INFORMED articles I have EVER read. Truly pathetic. Asinine, ignorant, devoid of any research or integrity. How did this author get a microphone to spread her views? Straight-up terrible journalism. This is exactly what's wrong with modern media!!

MisterRuddis

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
And another thing. Why are you so fixated on Nintendo's problems when many of the same complaints could be lodged against SO MANY other companies? Extremely ONE SIDED, BIASED dribble. This made me hate my life.

Zach Hurrle

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
Oh geeze. I'll be the first to admit Nintendo is struggling, and things are looking dire for the Wii U at the moment. But the amount of hyperbole, misinformation, poor ideas, and outright untruths in this article is pretty astounding.

So be brief, you have factually incorrect statements such as describing Professor Layton (Level 5), Phoenix Wright (Capcom), and somehow Superman 64 (Titus Software) as first party titles, while also claiming that Xenoblade (Monolith Soft, a fully-owned subsidiary of Nintendo) is a third-party title, all of which is incorrect. Then there's the claim that Nintendo didn't unveil any new 1st party IPs, when in fact the unveiled two major IPs (Splatoon and STEAM) and two original, small-scale projects (Guard and Giant Robot). Are the three Wii U games out of those four enough to save the Wii U? Likely not, but it's still outright false to claim they don't exist. Did you do any fact checking at all? I mean, you even have a comparison in there between Yoshi's Wooly World and Little Big Planet, which is a pretty terrible comparison considering the focus of either game is completely different from the other.

And then there's the shaky logic that somehow new IPs with unfamiliar characters are somehow more sure-fire money makers than existing IPs, which goes against all logic what-so-ever. There's a reason publishers/production companies across all mediums are wary of new properties and continuously spit out sequels, spin-offs, reboots, remakes, and adaptations. Sequels are safe money makers, and particularly in the case of videogames fans don't just love them, they demand them. but of course, again, Nintendo is not just putting out traditional entries in old IPs or completely fresh and original entries in those same IPs, but also major new IPs right now.

And of course there's the ludicrously shaky logic of demanding more portable games, when Nintendo's biggest money maker is the 3DS and its titles. Doing such a thing would sabotage their own business. And then there's the fact that Nintendo's bread and butter isn't cheap mobile games with no real value and remarkably repetitive gameplay. Going from the extremely rich and complex design of Super Mario 3D Land to yet another Temple Run reskin, now with Mario, isn't going to "save" anything.

Oh, and I thought Nintendo's comments on Twitch were as annoying as anyone, but really? You really think the lack of Twitch of all things warrants a major section on a list of reasons Nintendo is doomed? Come now.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Nintendo is boring. Mario Does XYZ 76 over and over and over. They should drop their weak consoles and just make these games for systems people actually buy.

SuperTrainStationH

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
I'm all for criticizing Nintendo when its due, I've made a virtual hobby of it, but this piece has far too many weak points.

"Robot Chicken-style"? NO, that was ACTUALLY Robot Chicken, and that makes it sound like you haven't done any research as to what's going on at E3.

You complain that Nintendo needs new original IPs, but only give a passing mention to Splatoon and fail to even mention Project STEAM, or the two Miyamoto Projects.

And really, blaming Superman 64 on Nintendo? You just sound like you haven't done your research.

mr snout

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
did you even watch, much less play any of the demos for the games slated for the next 18 months? People have been writing off Nintendo for decades. they got a nice boost from Mario Kart 8, will get another one in a few months from Smash Bros and then another one from Zelda.

AllUrBase

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
"the company should do what legions of fans having been begging it to do: make mobile games. . ."
The complete lack of factual data is unfortunately not uncommon now days, but what makes this article special is the way she misinterprets the gaming market in general. I get the impression that the author has never actually played video games and wrote this article from random internet searches. I find it funny how Tom's Hardware has this under "News".

mr snout

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
@ AllUrBase, agreed. Most true gamers pretty much despise mobile games, mainly for poor control but overall for poor quality and lack of depth. Actually, if the writer has been paying attention, Nintendo has invested substantially in some mobile gaming companies and has said that it WILL delve into mobile gaming, but it will be more marketing driven and designed to likely encourage people to buy Nintendo products.

MrSleepyhead32

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
Xenoblade Chronicles X is not being developed by Nintendo? And coming to the Wii? Last time I checked, Monolith Soft is 100% owned by Nintendo, hence, it is part of the company. Wii U, not Wii.

notAtard

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
After reading this article, all I can say is wow. The fact checking was awful.

Let me just point out some things I noticed you did in this article:

-Implied Nintendo hadn't made pokemon NFC figures (See Pokemon Rumble U)

-Stated Ace Attorney (you mistakenly called the series Phoenix Wright) was a 1st
party series, but it's made by Capcom.

-Stated Professor Layton was a 1st party series, but it's made by Level-5.

-Stated Xenoblade Chronicles: X was a 3rd party game, but it's made by Monolith Soft, which is owned by Nintendo.

-List 3DS games, then go on to ignore the 3DS saying Amiibo is the only thing to keep us afloat until 2015.

-Mistakenly call the Wii U the Wii.

-Complain about Nintendo on mobile platforms, when they haven't even done anything yet.

-Blame Nintendo for Superman 64. It was made by Titus Software.

Add all these errors to the passive-aggressive tone and you get a garbage-level article.

CaptainKoopa

Estimable
Jun 20, 2014
This is one of the worst articles I have ever read. The amount of errors and the contradictions it states makes me think the author has just quit her job doing a paper round and started journalism.

Nintendo is failing, according to the author. An extract from the first paragraph…“But ultimately, none of the above will be enough to save the failing company” but then states in the second to last paragraph…”Nintendo is by no means going out of business next year, or even in the next five or 10 years.” How can a failing company have a five to ten year future? Oh, by the way, perhaps a lesson in grammar would help. It’s ten and not 10. If you’re going to do it wrong at least be consistent.

So Nintendo didn’t show any 3rd party content!! Hmm, perhaps they didn’t show any 3rd party content because they’re actually showing NINTENDO games. How ignorant can you get? Why would Nintendo waste their time showing rubbish 3rd party games when they have they so much of their own fantastic content? They spent three days showcasing their titles, which was amazing, and had so much info to announce. If there are 3rd party games then surely it’s the job of the 3rd party to show them? Sony’s and Microsoft’s presence, on the other hand, was the polar opposite of Nintendo’s. They had very few exclusives and the 3rd party games they showed were basically games coming to their system three months before the others, and which included an extra map (sarcasm). Whoppy f*****g do. The difference between the PS4 and XBONE is so small that the reason why you would buy one over the other is how much you dislike one company over the other, and I think we all know how much Microsoft is hated. At least Nintendo provides an alternative.

The Wii U is now starting to make a profit. Nintendo’s 2014 E3 showing was by far the best. The share price has gone up. Wii U sales are climbing and Mario Kart is the number one game, GLOBAL. Nintendo has the broadest range of games coming out over the next twelve months. At the same time the PS4 is selling very poorly in Japan and globally the XBONE can’t even outsell the PS3. Facts according to VGCHARTZ the week of 07th June. And yet this author states the Wii U is failing, awful journalism.

Bayonetta 2 is violent and isn’t suited to the family friendly Wii U, according to the author!! WTF? She writes that Watch Dogs is coming but says nothing about “its” violence, which is rated 18 compared to B2’s M. And what about all the other 18 rated titles already available, Assassin’s Creed, Zombi U and COD. Pathetic research. Perhaps the author is a feminist and has a bee in her bonnet about the protagonist being a sexy female character. She does get one thing almost right. Nintendo consoles are for the family, not necessarily family friendly. So it provides games for the kids, teenagers and adults. I’ve been a lifelong Nintendo fan since the NES days but even I will admit that the Big N makes mistakes, and will probably continue to make mistakes. However, just when you think things couldn’t get any worse…BOOM…Nintendo bounces back. One of the biggest current issues is that the library of Wii U games is a little un-balanced. Over the next twelve months that balance is being addressed with the likes B2, Hyrule Warriors, Smash, X etc. I love the fact one minute I’m stomping Koopas, the next firing Pikmin at crazy aliens and then ducking and diving in the futuristic world of Dues Ex. That diversity is what I love about Nintendo consoles and the games available and the reason why it’s “for the family”. I can’t wait to beat Mario up playing as Yoshi, shooting monsters as a sexy witch but then taking a moment for some puzzle fun with Toad.

The Nintendo media bashing gravy train has now left the station, this article missed that train. Perhaps the author should go back to that paper round.

Status
Not open for further replies.