Nintendo Wii to Get Netflix Streaming Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I wouldn't waste my time using my Wii for this. The Wii has a very limited amount of memory and no hard drive for caching. Much better to wait for the Wii 2.0 or what ever they are going to call it.

I've already tried using my Sony Bravia iLink for this and the picture quality was not that great, not to mention the periodic stops for buffering.

I'd much rather just stick to using my Multi-Monitor setup with Windows Media Center on my TV via HDMI cable to watch NetFlix. The picture quality is as good as cable if not better and there is no interruptions when watching my videos.

G

I'm not sold on streaming yet. SD maybe, HD, no. A 1080P VOD through DirecTV takes some time to download at 10mbps (~4.4GB/hr at best). If I recall, DVD is ~7mbps. So until broadband is faster and cheaper, I'll wait. And my 10mbps service slows to 2mbps in the evening. "Capacity issue" they claim, and only do their testing during business hours when no one is home to use it.

tmax

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
I have a Wii and Netflix, soI will try it. Why not? Its free with my Netflix account. Looking forward to it.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Glad to see this feature available on the Wii, but I'm not sold on streaming either. I get around 25 mbps down and would still probably take about 30-45 minutes to download an SD movie. I can't imagine the wait time for an HD movie.

Besides I kinda enjoy the walk to the movie store, and with these download speeds it's faster than streaming!

I will say this about HD vs SD: the better the movie (you know, old fashioned stuff like meaningful plot, themes, motifs, interesting characters, quality acting) the less I pay attention to the HD. Don't get me wrong, there are some really great movies that still come out, but I feel that many movies nowadays are crap and we use HD to hide it.

G

Have a Blu-ray player that streams netflix movies. My blu-ray play has no memory and I watched Heros in 1080p last night on my TV. If the blu-ray player can stream just find on comcast then then Wii shouldn't have a problem.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I have a Wii and PS3 and just started using the streaming for PS3. I watch LOST in 720P and it works amazing. It looks like CRAP when it runs in 480P if it picks up a bad connection (I just restart it and it goes to 720P).

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Cool. Although that's lame that you have to insert a disc every time you want to watch netflix. That should be something you only have to do once and in the future you can just select a netflix channel on the wii menu.

Now if only they'd add netflix to the WD TV Live...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]drut1234[/nom]I'm not sold on streaming yet. SD maybe, HD, no. A 1080P VOD through DirecTV takes some time to download at 10mbps (~4.4GB/hr at best). If I recall, DVD is ~7mbps. So until broadband is faster and cheaper, I'll wait.[/citation]
That isn't what streaming means, you don't download the whole thing. Plus, you're comparing DVD bitrates, which is just silly, as DVDs use outdated MPEG2. Even on a lower profile, H.264 can match DVD at a MUCH lower bitrate, ike 1/3 of the bandwidth for the same quality (assuming both were encoded from identical RAW sources).
Also if your connection is poor, Netflix can reduce the resolution and/or bitrate for you.
[citation][nom]njalterio[/nom]Glad to see this feature available on the Wii, but I'm not sold on streaming either. I get around 25 mbps down and would still probably take about 30-45 minutes to download an SD movie. I can't imagine the wait time for an HD movie.[/citation]Again, that's not streaming. Streaming is like Hulu or Youtube. Netflix does that but for movies and TV shows, and good quality. It starts playing almost immediately.
[citation][nom]bigd3245[/nom]Have a Blu-ray player that streams netflix movies. My blu-ray play has no memory and I watched Heros in 1080p last night on my TV. If the blu-ray player can stream just find on comcast then then Wii shouldn't have a problem.[/citation]Yeah except your blu-ray player can decode and display high resolution H.264 - since both blu-ray AND netflix use this codec! The Wii doesn't have a lot of horsepower so it wouldn't be decoding 1080p H.264. Not to mention even if it could, it doesn't have HD output, so you'll be limited to 480p no matter what you do. Not even close to what your blu-ray player can do!

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]So now only xbox360 is at disadvantage because xbox live is not free.[/citation]

That was a bad move on M$ part as they tried to make more money. A netflix account is totally independent from a Xbox Live account so they shouldn't force you to pay for Xbox Live so you can use a Netflix account that you already paid for.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Again, that's not streaming. Streaming is like Hulu or Youtube. Netflix does that but for movies and TV shows, and good quality. It starts playing almost immediately.[/citation]

Ah I see. Wouldn't it take time to buffer though? How quickly does Netflix upload from their servers?

[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]The Wii doesn't have a lot of horsepower so it wouldn't be decoding 1080p H.264. Not to mention even if it could, it doesn't have HD output, so you'll be limited to 480p no matter what you do. Not even close to what your blu-ray player can do![/citation]

You can connect the Wii using component cables, although it is through some proprietary hookup....maybe it is possible to get 720p? That would be one hell of a system update if Nintendo can pull it off.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]The Wii can not put out 720P.[/citation]

Yeah I know. Just some wishful thinking for a future system update.

Status
Not open for further replies.