Nintendo Wipes Out Wii Speak Resale Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus Yam

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
I'm a hardcore gamer, and I do believe that both developers and platform holders should reap the benefits of making a successful product, but their desire to cut out the used market is a short sighted point of view.

While game stores like GameStop do pocket a lot of money from the sale of used games -- and sometimes at disgusting margins -- the existence of such stores is one that has an overall positive effect on the industry.

GameStop drums up a lot of excitement for new games, as the stores feature demo kiosks and constantly have trailers playing on the TVs. The clerks will also pester customers to pre-order the next big hit.

The move to make hardware pieces non-resalable also seems short sighted. Even if Nintendo loses out on profiting from the sale of a used Wii Speak, that new owner could potentially purchase new software to use with that peripheral.

Going back to the car analogy, a sale of a used car may not profit the manufacturer directly, but there's still profit to be had in service and parts.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Nintendo has been retarded for a number of years now. The DS is a gimmick with very few games really justifying two screens, the GameCube was a poorly supported mistake I was stupid enough to pay $250 for on launch day, the GBA/GCN connectivity was an instant failure they didn't support past one E3, the E-Reader which cost $40 was dropped after something like 20 games, Iwata firmly told gamers that they didn't want online gaming after which Nintendo included a half-baked bit of connectivity on both its next generation console and handheld... the list goes on and on. Nintendo stopped being an innovative force that actually gave a flying crap about its hardcore fanbase just about a decade ago. I respect all Nintendo has contributed to this industry, but they've been unmitigated tools with no sense of direction for years now, despite the Wii's sales.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
If they weren't so greedy they wouldn't be having this issue. If games were $25 they would increase sales, and decrease second hand sales.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I'm not sure about the hardware device, but for games, game makers need to ask themselves one question: will they sell as many units if people don't know they'll be able to get some of the money they paid for a game back if they resell it?

JordanPlayer

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
This issue of stopping the resale of video game hardware and software is going to come right back and hurt the developer in sales/profit. Like others have said, if someone knows that they cannot resell a game/peripheral people will be more cautious about what they buy to make sure it is worth the money. Being able to trade games in allows people to purchase new games that wouldn't be bought without the income from the used game. I hate how the industry is becoming so short-sighted with these issues and trying to milk every dollar they can out of the consumer without giving a crap.

G

One more of the many reasons I'll never buy a console to play games on.
In fact, I'd rather never play another computer gane than to ever buy or use a gaming console.
I hope they all go out of business.
Would serve them all right.
They need to concentrate on making GOOD games, not all the trash they pump out day after day, year after year.
If they were putting out good products they'd have a leg to stand on.
But they rarely do, so they will go out of business in short order.
So go ahaead game companies & gaming hardware companies: bite the hand that's feeding you, look that gift horse in the mouth, and put a bullet through the heart of all us geese who lay your golden eggs.
Without customers for your pathetic games, you are worth less than zero. And your games are worth less than half of that.
"F" 'em.
"F" 'em all.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Imagine the outcry if some music label (let's say Sony because they'd probably do it) found a way to render CDs unreadable if purchased used or borrowed from a friend. Imagine if plugging new speakers into your stereo meant that you couldn't resell them later, or even return them to the store if they didn't work out. What if CD players tattled on the CDs you listened to and prevented you from playing them on other devices?

They're not becoming like the RIAA. Even the music industry isn't this insane yet.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
JordanPlayer hit it on the head. Not only do people buy games with the intent of selling them back after they are done with them, they use that money to in-turn by more games. I know people who have traded entire systems in to move to another platform (i.e. XBox -> PS2). I think these game companies assume their customer-base has an endless supply of money. In reality, their customer base probably has an extremely limited supply of money, seeing as most of them are Highschool-College students with limited incomes. Yes, more adults are playing video games (as they have for the most part grown up with them), but that's certainly not the majority of their market. I know I rarely play games anymore, but in College I used to play daily.

This issue has been out forever (every buy a used book at the bookstore, think college textbooks here). The law is extremely clear that consumers have the right to resell items they have purchased. Since the same physical item is being resold, the manufacturer has no claim to any part of the transaction (how expensive would used cars be if Ford/GM/Chrystler wanted more money each time? and we know they could use it). To enter a market knowing this, and then complain that it is happening is assinine.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Wouldn't the more savvy players use Teamspeak/Ventrilo and a laptop while playing their Wii titles? I would think that mostly free options like that would be made even more attractive in light of developers locking out technology that is already common place.

G

Well this is simple then...just give it to me for free then no one can make a profit...that's it, problem solved.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
what would happen if I bought a lawnmower that I could never sell to a friend? Or a coat for my son that I could never sell at a garage-sale once he outgrew it? The lawnmower maker or clothing manufacturer do not see a dime of profit in any resale.

IMO this is the same thing. I see game PURCHASE the same as a movie PURCHASE or bicycle PURCHASE. I own it and can sell it whenever. I am not paying for a service, (MMO's and the like notwithstanding) I am not renting a car. I am buying a product.

End of argument.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
One more of the many reasons I'll never buy a console to play games on.
In fact, I'd rather never play another computer gane than to ever buy or use a gaming console.

you must be rich then or have rich parents then man. everyone knows when you buy a PC for gaming every couple months you will have to keep pouring money into upgrading your PC to play current games at the time. especially with graphic cards

RocketChild

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Imagine the outcry if some music label (let's say Sony because they'd probably do it) found a way to render CDs unreadable if purchased used or borrowed from a friend. Imagine if plugging new speakers into your stereo meant that you couldn't resell them later, or even return them to the store if they didn't work out. What if CD players tattled on the CDs you listened to and prevented you from playing them on other devices? They're not becoming like the RIAA. Even the music industry isn't this insane yet.[/citation]

Actually, the music industry has tried this a few times. It has gone to court and always gotten smacked down because of First Sale Doctrine. They have been trying to make a shift to not selling ou the CD, but licensing you a copy of the music so you only own the plastic and paper, but do not have the rights to do anything with the contents.

This will end up going to court. Gaming companies are just testing the waters with and gambling that they can pull this off while still maintaining profits.

If they were clever, they would just sell everything through an online store and go away from physical media. Steam is an example of this, but they don't sell at a cheaper cost though. You're still playing the same price as having the physical media.

It was said, if they lower their price point, then everyone would win. There might be some truth to that...except when a game is a total bust.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Does Nintendo want to lose the advantage they have now? You don't piss off your customers....[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]you must be rich then or have rich parents then man. everyone knows when you buy a PC for gaming every couple months you will have to keep pouring money into upgrading your PC to play current games at the time. especially with graphic cards[/citation]

Then they are idiots, the 7950 I got last year, which is now like 3 years old since release, can still play any game out there on max, non-DX10 graphics. The only reason why I upgraded to a 9800 GTX a few months ago was to have DX10.

I can spend 1000 dollars on a computer and still have it beat consoles easily, and not have to upgrade for a while.

Learn about facts before you speak up, also get friends who aren't idiots.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]you must be rich then or have rich parents then man. everyone knows when you buy a PC for gaming every couple months you will have to keep pouring money into upgrading your PC to play current games at the time. especially with graphic cards[/citation]
Kami3k's response to this was good... I will add though that w/ that 7950 and "max" it is not at 2048x1152 resolution or anything, but at 1440x900 (16:10 19" wide standard) or 1280x1024 (4:3 rough equivalent) it will more than hold its own on modern games.

I too run a similarly aged system w/ a x1900xt 512 that screams at that resolution on everything I have tried. (yes, crysis hurts... but crysis hurts EVERYONE) Getting close to upgrading yes, but it is a solid performer still.

I have made the arg many times that once you buy the console, the HD set to get anywhere close to comparable graphics quality to a PC and pay for the online service to play some stuff along w/ the cost increase on games... over a 3 year span you will be spending near identical money as on a solid midrange PC with a top-end graphics card. About 1500 bucks +/- depending on TV size and PC components. (must be top end graphics at any give time though... midrange graphics do not last that 3 year span like a top end card does)

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Crysis hurts even god, so it's performance doesn't even count.

Oh and your friend are either idiots or graphic/FPS whores. Either way, using them to say how expensive PC gaming is is idiotic.

G

Why not just put a $5 levy on used game sales that goes back to the publisher. You could only do it on stores, but it would solve the issue of the publishers getting ripped, and would only push the used price up by five bucks.

sojrner

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Crysis hurts even god, so it's performance doesn't even count.Oh and your friend are either idiots or graphic/FPS whores. Either way, using them to say how expensive PC gaming is is idiotic.[/citation]

lol, yes... crysis sucks the life from the fountain of youth.

and yes, anyone still using the "my method is cheaper than yours for gaming" argument is just plain dumb. It is all expensive, just like most "hobbies".

captaincharisma

Distinguished
yes but using a console for gaming will last you 3-5 years cause you don't have to spend more money on it when your in the 3rd year on your PC and want to play the latest games to find out your PC chokes because you do not put the money into it to upgrade it. think about it you go out to buy a console that costs now 200-400 bucks with additional controllers and the odd game can reach close to 1000 bucks and that can be for a 3-5 year period without any upgrading. with a PC you may have to do a 200-300 upgrade just for the graphics card to play a modern game with all the eye candy and great sound

hardcore PC gamers are mostly anal when it comes to games meaning one small slowdown and they go out and upgrade there PC's.

This is the way it always is with PC's if you going to try to play the latest and greatest FPS games

now i will just sit back and wait to get flamed by the roper room kids as usual and i bet the biggest one of them all kami3k 11 will chime in again too

Status
Not open for further replies.