Nintendo's Wii U Controller Battery to Last Just 3-5 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
even more important: which such short use time, what is the charge time?

All in all I think this console is going to be a bust. Graphics as good as current 6-8 year old consoles, controllers with short battery life (and with such a short cycle I bet it will need to be replaced regularly), awful and annoying 'social' features, and the normal expected lack of games. Wii was at least interesting (and cheap), this thing just sparks no interest at all....

G

I bet there will be 3rd party batteries for extended use.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]even more important: which such short use time, what is the charge time?All in all I think this console is going to be a bust. Graphics as good as current 6-8 year old consoles, controllers with short battery life (and with such a short cycle I bet it will need to be replaced regularly), awful and annoying 'social' features, and the normal expected lack of games. Wii was at least interesting (and cheap), this thing just sparks no interest at all....[/citation]
You didn't learn anything from the original Wii Console did you? Clearly you didn't read the sales figures of the original wii, Nintendo knows what they're doing. they reinvented gaming as we know it today. they know that people don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a console. And they know graphics don't sell as well as innovation, they've got almost everyone covered and Social features sell. that's why Xbox Live is so popular, and that's why they took a hint from nintendo's Mii's to create avatars.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
From article;"so you won't have to take a break when the charger runs out of juice", you mean "so you won't have to take a break when the battery runs out of juice"

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]brickman[/nom]I bet there will be 3rd party batteries for extended use.[/citation]
Ya hopefully external batteries that act like AC adapters, duct tape it or hot glue it to the bottom or something.. Added weight may be an issue for some. Nanowire batteries, where are u

lipoly

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Nintendo knows what they're doing. they reinvented gaming as we know it today.[/citation]

Did they really? They certainly tried, and most of us drank the Kool-Aid in the beginning, but it seems they rocked the gaming boat far less than they had hoped.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
well its a tablet and the games that will use this is for casual gaming. for hardcore games they have the controller that is similar to xbox360 controller.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Considering what they put into the controller its not surprising to see this length of battery life.

It is a controller after all, there is a budget limit, fancy lithium cells like they stick into tablets don't come cheap, I doubt Nintendo had the budget for a high capacity lithium cell for the controller, and even if they did, they'd increase the battery life to what? 8-10 hours, at a premium of probably $40 for better battery technology.

We don't know what the console is priced at yet, but chances are the entire Wii U system (Including the controller) will be cheaper than most tablets on the market. There is a limit to what you can pack in for console pricing schemes.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]lipoly[/nom]Did they really? They certainly tried, and most of us drank the Kool-Aid in the beginning, but it seems they rocked the gaming boat far less than they had hoped.[/citation]

They sold an amazing amount of consoles, they expanded the gaming market beyond the "hardcore" gamer, they took game controls in a new direction which caused Microsoft and Sony to add their own movement controls. So I would say that they "rocked the boat" fairly well. They could have done more to add to the entertainment aspect of the console and not just to the gaming, which I believe it sounds like they will be addressing with the Wii U. However they said they were not going to talk about the non-gaming features at E3, which is what I'm looking forward to.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Nintendo has a tendency to risk more than their competition up front, where as MS and Sony will sit back and join the party if it takes off... Each strategy has its obvious benefits and drawbacks (Nintendo has fallen on their face on more than one occasion).

In the end though, like them or not, its companies like Nintendo that move the industry forward, I'm not overly excited about the Wii U controller, but I do respect Nintendo for putting in the effort (and risk) to try something new.

Status
Not open for further replies.