Nintendo's Wii U Game Highlights Were Composed of Xbox 360 and PS3 Footage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

way to bring them down a few pegs... you don't talk up your new console with other console graphics... that's just stupid

lightbulbsocket

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Why is everyone acting like this is some sort of shocking revelation? It seemed blatantly obvious to me before reading it that most, if not all of that footage had to be from other platforms. I mean, they said during the conference that they had only shown the system to other developers no more than a couple months prior.

I just don't see why this is a big deal. It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened.

andrewcutter

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
before anyone goes eating nintendo please take a momnet to think.
its based on 4 series right, then the games when released is going to be better than 360 or ps3. plus the system itself is 1 year away. so developers could not have made any games right.
so between the 2 options of either just saying the name of the games and showing footage, i think footage was better. blurting out names seems to be boring .
however it would have been nice of nintendo to say before the clip that these were 360 or ps3 clips.
i for one am exited about what the controller can do. i just hope that third parties realise its potential too.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
I will steer clear... the wii was enough of a bomb... motion and little controller screens are not my thing... what happened to REAL puzzle games or REAL games. resident evil 1 and 2, twisted metal, super mario world and 64, tomb raider 1, medievil... games suck now, all the FPS are trying to be real shooters or future shooters that try to be realistic... what happened to arena FPS? quake 2 was amazing, remake it in HD...

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I wonder if they did it on purpose to see if anyone was paying attention...considering the Wii was boring for late teen and adult gamers (most of the gaming industry).

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
1. This is incredibly common in the industry. Almost ALL early images of new games are from the lead development platform even if the publisher shows the game for many consoles.

2. Few developers have had dev kits for long so there is very little actual Wii U development to show. The point of the clips were to show games already out (or on the way) that would normally not come to Wii but will now come to Wii U.

3. Wii U is actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 and X360. The Zelda demo, Japanese garden demo and the 'behind closed doors' street demo prove it's a generation beyond the current HD consoles.

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I recall when the PS3 was about to launch, and a racing game was "demoed" using prerendered cut scenes. The footage was better than the PS3 could possibly come up with in-game. I'm guessing the same for Nintendo. Ho hum.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Saying it's going to look better than the PS3 and XBOX 360 because it has 1080P is just plain idiotic. Besides, those systems are long in the tooth by now, and the Wii U's hardware is going to be 3 years old when it launches!

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
3. Wii U is actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 and X360. The Zelda demo, Japanese garden demo and the 'behind closed doors' street demo prove it's a generation beyond the current HD consoles.

As they have not actually released all the specs for the hardware, it is still up in the air on how it will perform. As I have seen it will have pretty much have a IBM CPU just like the 360 but maybe another core? The GPU is rumored to be an revision of the R700( Not sure the number, which ever one the 4870/4890 are made from ) which is the same setup the 360 has.
-It is pretty awesome the Wii is going to enter the HD arena, sadly they did it years after 360 and PS3. And at no surprise is will likely perform better than a console that has been out for years. One thing has to be remembered though... Wii U will be outdated and slow when 360 and PS3 Nextgens release.

rflynn88

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]As they have not actually released all the specs for the hardware, it is still up in the air on how it will perform. As I have seen it will have pretty much have a IBM CPU just like the 360 but maybe another core? The GPU is rumored to be an revision of the R700( Not sure the number, which ever one the 4870/4890 are made from ) which is the same setup the 360 has.-It is pretty awesome the Wii is going to enter the HD arena, sadly they did it years after 360 and PS3. And at no surprise is will likely perform better than a console that has been out for years. One thing has to be remembered though... Wii U will be outdated and slow when 360 and PS3 Nextgens release.[/citation]

The 360 is NOT based on the R700 (Radeon HD 4000 series)! That launched in 2008. The Xbox 360 graphics chip is based on R520 (Radeon X1900) but includes unified shaders like R600 (Radeon HD 2000/3000). So basically it predates the Radeon HD 2000 series from 2006. The Xbox 360 GPU is OLD OLD hardware. A Radeon HD 4870 can poo all over it, and thats still OLD hardware. Beating Xbox 360 graphics, or PS3 for that matter, nowadays is very easy with relatively inexpensive hardware.

I suspect the Wii U hardware will be more powerful than 360/PS3, but only a little bit. When you think about it, thats still pretty bad. The 360 launched in late 2005. With the Wii U launching in 2012 thats a full SEVEN years later. So to say the Wii U has 360 equivalent graphics is honestly pathetic.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
It's an interesting concept, play on the big TV, then transfer it to the handheld and you have console games on a tablet, if this thing is compatible with DS games on the move you have a unified games unit.

What's not to like apart from the obvious fanbois?

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Yes very true! Sorry I must have not been thinking. The 360 is based on X1900 series. The 4870 is a much better GPU (As I own 2 in Crossfire :) ), but I think it brings into perspective on how behind the console market must be in the hardware department to keep cost low. Using a card that will be several generations older than current technology.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
you seem to forget the most power is not the winner and btw cost is still 70% of sales and whit this new controler its going to be already hig, and for a console it is good enought. its not a gaming pc we are talking about.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]I will steer clear... the wii was enough of a bomb... motion and little controller screens are not my thing... what happened to REAL puzzle games or REAL games. resident evil 1 and 2, twisted metal, super mario world and 64, tomb raider 1, medievil... games suck now, all the FPS are trying to be real shooters or future shooters that try to be realistic... what happened to arena FPS? quake 2 was amazing, remake it in HD...[/citation]

puzzle games are better on a touch screen.
re 1 and 2 had the worst game controles ever put into games... survival horror in general was crap till got rid of those controls.
twisted metal was a driving shooting game, largely based on the mario cart (snes) mechanic of multiplayer battle, and that crap tends to get boring after... how many twisted metals were their? and they were all basically rehashes.
super mario world and 64, you get that now, with galaxy for the 64 one, and hand held and the party one for the 2d verity.
tomb raider 1, a game based largely on a out of proportion woman, i cant speak for the game as i never played it in depth, but the mechanics that i played sucked.
medievil, only played a demo of that, no idea if it was good or not, but thanks for reminding me to get it in some way.

for arena shooters, look at quake online, and serious sam

the over the top shooters died out, because death match is only so fun, with military ones you can easily add levels and many guns that aren't exactly unbalanced. pluss they sell better than even the best cartoony fps.

[citation][nom]TheViper[/nom]1. This is incredibly common in the industry. Almost ALL early images of new games are from the lead development platform even if the publisher shows the game for many consoles.2. Few developers have had dev kits for long so there is very little actual Wii U development to show. The point of the clips were to show games already out (or on the way) that would normally not come to Wii but will now come to Wii U.3. Wii U is actually quite a bit more powerful than the PS3 and X360. The Zelda demo, Japanese garden demo and the 'behind closed doors' street demo prove it's a generation beyond the current HD consoles.[/citation]

not exactly. the console will be more powerful, but not the way you are thinking. nintendo will put this out at profit, but no more than 300$, 350 at most, and the controller is between 60-90$ many resting on 70$ (price of a mote and nunchuck) so the inside will roughly be the same as a ps3 or 360 with slight differences, such as i believe more ram (its cheaper now than back than)

now take a look at dx10 and 11, if you take advantage of no new things in dx11, 11 renders crap 33% faster than 10. im assuming that this will allow the wiiu to render at 1080p what other console can only do 720p, and with ram, allow higher rez textures.

the zelda clip they showed (watched it streaming, but it was higher quality stream at the time) didnt look like it was a generation gap between the ps3, it just looked like a game built soley for the system.

and the bird demo, if this was alpha demo (as in not optomised, but brute forced) than the console will be amazing, but watch it again, and you will notice allot of little crap that current games do missing, like when the flower hits the water, there is no movement in the watter (i mean texture map change, not actual watter physics )

i ahve no doubt its more powerfull, but i also take what i see and pick it the @#%@ apart.

and kudos to them, for not using target renders and actual renders from comparable consoles.

[citation][nom]Arglebargle[/nom]I recall when the PS3 was about to launch, and a racing game was "demoed" using prerendered cut scenes. The footage was better than the PS3 could possibly come up with in-game. I'm guessing the same for Nintendo. Ho hum.[/citation]

the bird thing was real, it was missing so much crap graphically that i would assume the person who made it was retarded if it was meant to be a cg target render. and what you are talking about is the killzone demo, and if you take away the smoke detail, i think that what came out looks better than the render over all.

[citation][nom]jfby[/nom]Saying it's going to look better than the PS3 and XBOX 360 because it has 1080P is just plain idiotic. Besides, those systems are long in the tooth by now, and the Wii U's hardware is going to be 3 years old when it launches![/citation]

and games being played in 1080p at 60 hrz dont look better than 720p at 30... wow what kind of backwards world have i fallen into...

i seriously doubt nintendo will !#@% itself with the hard core they are trying to win back with sending out hardware that cant play great graphics at 1080p. i mean if they did, why even upgrade from the wii? the hardcore would pass them up, i myself would just rend a system for a week when zelda comes out if they dont deliver this time.

[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]As they have not actually released all the specs for the hardware, it is still up in the air on how it will perform. As I have seen it will have pretty much have a IBM CPU just like the 360 but maybe another core? The GPU is rumored to be an revision of the R700( Not sure the number, which ever one the 4870/4890 are made from ) which is the same setup the 360 has.-It is pretty awesome the Wii is going to enter the HD arena, sadly they did it years after 360 and PS3. And at no surprise is will likely perform better than a console that has been out for years. One thing has to be remembered though... Wii U will be outdated and slow when 360 and PS3 Nextgens release.[/citation]

360 taken from wiki

---- The Xenos is a custom graphics processing unit (GPU) designed by ATI, used in the Xbox 360 video game console. Developed under the codename "C1,"[1] it is in many ways related to the R520 architecture and therefore very similar to an ATI Radeon X1900/X1950 series of PC graphics cards as far as features and performance are concerned ----

the rumored gpu is at least 3 generations down the line from the 360 version, but here is what im thinking. the 4850 is about 100$ and the 5770 is about the same price too and again the 6770 is about the same price. so why not dump a 5770 (most powerful of the 3) into the console, this is assuming that manufacture process is about the same as the older one. so it could be from a newer card.

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
It hasn't even drawn a breath, yet the adolescents want to KILL IT!
What is wrong with you guys?
I'm only hoping that it has quality Nintendo titles.
Not more of the same old, shoot some guy, in 720p!

Status
Not open for further replies.