No audio output on HP DV6500 Laptop

Willywaxo

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
Hello!

Having some audio issues with my HP Pavilion DV6500 running Vista.

A couple of days ago when watching a video from an external hardrive the audio suddenly completely muted. I restarted the laptop and then the audio came back. When I loaded the show up again from the hard drive the sound again completely disappeared.

On a second restart I am getting the "No audio output device installed" message. Ive tried all the solutions i can find on these and other forums to no gain - the drivers sometimes appear on device manager, and sometimes don't. When they do i get a "Code 10" Message.

Ive tried re-installing them from Recovery Manager and I get a message saying the media cannot be found. Tried other things like recovering windows back and entering BIOS but nothing seems to be doing the trick as yet. The drivers are the conexant HD audio but the most recent shown on HP website is Realtek (neither work).

Any ideas guys or is this likely to be a motherboard issue and new soundcard required? Any suggestions welcome!!

Hi,

Yes you are correct about your findings that the sound card is already faulty. Have you already tried using an external speakers with your laptop? You also have an option to either just replace the entire motherboard or just buy an external sound card that you connect onto your USB port.

Willywaxo

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016

Thanks Laptop Nerd,
Ive not tried external speakers yet, im assuming you mean ones that connect to via USB and install drivers? Does that have a chance of working? I tried headphones on the audio jack and there was nothing! Failing that ive ordered a USB soundcard now from Amazon so hopefully that will come in the next few days....