No Audio - red light coming out of the audio output

Revanx_svk

Honorable
May 19, 2012
Hi,
I have a notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y 560. Few days ago – without any reason – the sound stopped working and a red light switched on in the audio output. I reinstalled both the audio drivers and the Windows, but without any success. Could you please help me with this problem?
Thanks a lot.

Revanx_svk

Honorable
May 19, 2012
The red light appeared recently for the first time and the volume is on maximum. I tried also headphones, but i dont have any sound with them too.

JustAnotherNoob

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
I think your output is switched to digital/SPDIF mode.
In this mode the audio card tries to send digital data through an optical cable (hence the red light). Usually this is a separate port, but some notebooks have this implemented through a shared port.
What version of Windows do you use?

Revanx_svk

Honorable
May 19, 2012

WIN 7 64 bit.

JustAnotherNoob

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Check your audio device settings, make sure to select "Speakers" as your default output. I suspect it is currently set to "Digital audio S/PDIF".
Maybe there is a Fn+??? combination to switch this on your notebook?

Revanx_svk

Honorable
May 19, 2012

Now I switched the digital out - http://i50.tinypic.com/20j4wg0.jpg
No change.

JustAnotherNoob

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
Did you check the realtek control panel (if you have the realtek software installed)? Maybe there is another switch hidden in there. I checked the spec sheet for your laptop, an it is one of those that does in fact support optical digital output.
Your screenshot actually doesn't show an SPDIF port, only analog output (speakers) and HDMI.
If you hit "properties" on the speakers (or simply doubleclick it) you should get a new window with some information about the ports.