No connections are available

mjdamore

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Dell XPS M1730, Windows 7 Pro, Dell wireless 1505 Draft 80211n and generic USB 802,11ac. High end Linksys router with numerous devices connected. Recently tested 3 old laptops (running XP, 7, 10) with no wireless issues. Can connect ethernet. Can enable both wireless devices. Always get "Not connected - No connections are available" Have spent a lot of time on this but will do whatever you suggest.

mjdamore

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

Wireless USB so no wires. What did you have in mind?

mjdamore

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

Well the USB device shows up as enabled when I test it and the internal Wifi does too. So both devices look fine to the laptop when I try them and both have the latest compatible drivers. I used the USB in case the internal WiFi had failed on the system board. It seems there is a fundamental problem here. I also went into the BIOS and checked the settings and tweaked them per some advice on the M1730 specifically.

While not a genuine tech, I have had a lot of experience but I am confounded here.

mjdamore

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018

Interesting. I've had this (and it's sister) apart a few times to re-paste the GPUs and I don't look forward to it but I will put it on "the list" since the internal failure could have repercussions. Good suggestion.

robert600

Distinguished
That's great ... well done! Nice to think of someone using a M1730. I'll have to dig mine out and fire it up - I used to like the light show it put on lol. I'm trying to remember why I tucked it away ... I think I was having trouble with the 5.1 sound and got frustrated.