No digital audio from dvd or tv connected to av receiver

ricciardella189

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
I just upgraded my tv to a panasonic plasma which has an hdmi connection to the cable box and component video connection to a pioneer dv-333 dvd player. I connected an optical digital cable from the dvd to a harmon kardon avr-110 receiver as described in the dvd manual. When I insert a dvd, there is picture but no sound. I swapped optical cables and still no sound. I also connected a digital audio cale from the tv to the receiver, but still no sound. However, when I connected composite analog audio from the dvd to the receiver there was stereo sound.

I would also like to get surround sound from the tv, but cannot get any sound from the home theater speakers - only from the tv speakers.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding what the problem may be - connections, receiver, dvd player, other?

You need to assign the digital input on the receiver to the input you want to use to select it (ie DVD or TV). You also may have to check the menu of the cable box to make sure that the digital audio is active and set for Dolby Digital. The DVD should work without any messing around since you are not using HDMI for it.

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
check your audio format. I just got the hopper from dish and it would do video but no sound to my vizio soundbar. I had to go into the hopper audio settings and change it from dolby to pcm.

ricciardella189

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Thanks, but I checked the audio settings and they are set to pcm. Still no digital sound.

You need to assign the digital input on the receiver to the input you want to use to select it (ie DVD or TV). You also may have to check the menu of the cable box to make sure that the digital audio is active and set for Dolby Digital. The DVD should work without any messing around since you are not using HDMI for it.

ricciardella189

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

I swapped out the receiver and everything is now working as it should. Thanks for the suggestions!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Streaming Video & TVs 3
M Streaming Video & TVs 2
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
C Streaming Video & TVs 1
M Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
B Streaming Video & TVs 4
L Streaming Video & TVs 1
L Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1