No dolby signal throu. HDMI cable to TV

srinivast3

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
HI I am new to this site. Let tell you the equipment i am having.

1) Sony vaio Laptop (latest Intel i-3 2nd gen.0
2) LG 3d LED samrt TV 42"
3) Yamaha Homethatre AMP with 5.1 speaker setup of Sonodyne.

I have some clips which are more than 4 gb, So I am unable to copy on pendrive. Other wise the below 4 gb movie with dolby digital and MKV format my tv plays the same and I even get the dolby 5.1 signal from LG Tv to Yamaha Amplifier. So If I want to play more than 4 Gb I have to play it in Laptop and the same is connected to the TV through HDMI cable. Here I get the picture of 1080p and Audio is only stereo or dolby pro-logic but not 5.1 signal. I even set the option to 5.1 in VLC player in Laptop. But still the signal pass through the HDMI is only stereo or prol-logic. If I want to play the same content from my Playstation III it cant accept the MKV format.

srinivast3

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Thank you sir for your reply. Unfortunately the Receiver which I am having is 11 years old. It has optical and co-axial connection for audio inputs. But my laptop has got HDMI, USB , LAN ouputs which are not suitable for the Receiver. I tried to change the options in the VLC player in the laptop. It has got the 5.1 audio out option. I have chosen the same but still audio which passes to the TV and Receiver is only prologic.

And as per your reply can we connect the Laptop-HDMI cable-Receiver-TV ? (Latest receiver if I go)

the trouble is that when you connect to your tv... it might not be able to export the signal to your sound system. that would explain the lack of surround sound.

if the hardware configuration is physically incapable of something...changing settings will do diddly squat.

there might be a hdmi-to-spdif (optical) conversion box. but for the price i'm not sure you would want to go there.

you said your system is 11 years old... but you have a tv that has hdmi. perhaps it might be worth spending the money on a new receiver instead. you can get them as low as $50-100 for cheap models (onkyo) which have all the ports you need. for around $200 you can get a semi-decent one.

srinivast3

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Thank you sir for your prompt advise. Let me share you something. The LG LED 3D smart TV has the ability to send the dolby 5.1 signal out to receiver. I am playing the below 4gb content in pen drive which is played throu. the TV usb drive. The picture is 1080p and audio is decoded by TV and sent the5.1 signal to receiver . I am getting amazing dolby 5.1 from receiver.

Here my doubt is whether this sony laptop has got the capability of sending the 5.1 audio and 1080p picture throu. the HDMI cable. Another question is as someone has suggested to go for the HDMI converter can i split the audio and video out separately one for tv and another for my receiver? Will my problem solved?

Hope you understood my problem.

Expecting your response one more time.

With regards.

make sure you read through all of this
------------------------------------------------

so... it sounds like...

video played via a memory stick into the tv gets exported by the tv to the receiver in 5.1 fine.

video played via your laptop via hdmi-out does not get exported by the tv to the receiver in 5.1, but instead in stereo.

---

hdmi can definitely transmit the signal. my laptop has hdmi-out and although i've never had to hook it up to my receiver i have no doubt that it will work.

again i would suggest you try a different media player software. if you have windows 7 the stock windows media player does play dvds (and in surround sound!). other options are a trial of cyberlink powerdvd or another program.

doublecheck the receivers mode. try "auto detect" if it has it.

...sounds like your problem is either with your software (most likely) or drivers (less likely).

as far as splitting the signal out.... you could just get a stereo signal with this too.

--->> HOWEVER, there is a chance that possibly the tv can export surround sound it processes (from the usb stick) but is incapable of exporting surround sound from another source. read the manual on this or attach another device to check (for instance do you have a dvd player attached via hdmi that works in SS?)

if you do and it works... a splitter is useless most likely. if you do and it doesnt work then there could be a point to trying a splitter. in which case it could definitely be a hardware issue (get a splitter) and not a software issue like i seem to think it is.

srinivast3

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Dear sir,

Thank you for you reply. The VLC player in my laptop has the 5.1 audio out and stereo out option. In both the cases the receiver gives me pro-logic signal only. Here two things might be happened. Either my tv unable to receive the external dolby signal i.e laptop or my laptop is not able to deliver the dolby signal.

Another is I have played the content in windows media player also. But the situation is same. And I never tried the hardware like splitter. I dont know whether it will work or not.

silentier2007

Honorable
May 28, 2012

@srinivast3
actuallu your laptop is capable of sending 5.1 channel dolby sound to your reciever,but the problem is you hav to use hdmi cable for that trabsfer,you reciever is 11 years old and not having hdmi so from laptop to reciever may not be possible..

one option is there you can connect yor laptop to your lg hd tv and in the sound option of your laptop you will have to select the option bitstream ..then your tv will decode the signals and will send it to your recuever,,it may help,,

srinivast3

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

Dear sir,

Where can I find the audio control console in my laptop. If not on VLC.

srinivast3

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012

My dear friend.

The data is 5.1.

F1r3Dr4g0n32

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
hi mate i have the same configuration as you pc [desktop] to tv via hdmi then from tv to amp via optical [amp also has no hdmi input] tv only does digital 2 ch,but this is a trick i found from researching that might help you

use vlc player to play your movies

then up the top of vlc you need to select the tools tab/then click on preferences/ then audio/then down the bottom you will see "show settings" default should have "simple" selected change this to all/click the audio tab up above again/and tick the box "use S/PDIF when available" and under that you should see force detection of dolby surround - set this to "On" - it will not work if you select auto, you have to select "On"

by doing this i can now send dolby digital 5.1 and DTS to tv via HDMI drom pc then from tv to amp via optical

my only problem now is trying to find a bypass to do the same thing with games ...sigh, more research/googling lol

hope this works for you as well as it did for me mate

1tom

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

The default Fat32 file system on pendrives has a maximum file size of 4GB. Convert the pendrive file system to NTFS and you can copy files larger than 4GB. In windows, assuming drive G: is your pendrive, using windows command prompt, type in the command window as follows:

convert G: /FS:NTFS

TRENDING THREADS