No image from PC after TV upgrade from HD to UltraHD

Pointy1971

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
I have a Denon AVR 2310 receiver. Haven't changed much in the last years:

- PS4 connected at 1080p. Connected through HDMI.
- Windows 10 PC connected. Not sure about resolution but about 2000x1000 I guess. Quite high. Also connected through HDMI.
- B&W surround speakers in 5.1 setting
- TV was a full HD 47 inch Samsung. Connected through HDMI.

Working for years. Very happy.

But I got a new TV last week. 65 inch Samsung Ultra HD.

Connected it to the receiver and started the PS4. Worked; no issue.

Switched to PC; no image :??:

Please note nothing else changed; all cables, connections, resolutions as before.

After a lot of fiddling got my PC booted on low resolution (800x600) and that worked. Now I have image again on the new TV. But whatever resolution I change to; image disappears and I get the Denon splash screen. Whatever I try the receiver won't give any image except on the lowest resolution.

The HDMI handshake told the PC that the TV is now UltraHD. On the screen where you select resolution the 4K resolution has recommended in brackets behind it. That's fine for me but I only want HD and not UHD. That does not work; whatever resolution I choose results in no image (except the lowest).

Now I know my receiver is not 4K ready but that's fine. I just want my old resolution for the PC back (full HD).

Any ideas what is going on here???

Pointy1971

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
Had to Google HDCP... Got it now.

But still hard to understand which component is not HDCP compliant...

My TV is brand new and working with the PS4 so should be OK
The PS4 is working so also OK
The Denon AV should be OK because it sits between PS4 and TV and is not blocking
Actually the PC (rather new) with legal Windows 10 also works (on LOW resolution)

So which component is not HDCP compliant??? Not getting that...

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
likely your pc display card.
having said that, the receiver is probably not also as its 2009 which the spec wasn't released then... so that's one issue.
You best bet to eliminate things is direct connect and see which things work for the resolutions that you are interested in... then go from there.

The PC may be setting itself to a higher resolution than the receiver is able to pass (anything higher than FHD) if it detects the UHD TV, If you set the output of your PC to 1920 x 1080 it should work again. The PS4 can't output higher resolution than this and would work through the receiver.
Not all the inputs may be HDMI 2.0a - HDCP2,2 so connect the output of the receiver to one that isn't.

Pointy1971

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
My display card is a Nvidia GTX760. I checked the specs and it is HDCP compliant.

Turned on the PC again. Downloaded the latest drivers (I do that every month anyway so they were not dramatically outdated).

I then went into the Nvidia control panel and there under properties it actually mentions my video card and TV are HDCP compliant. But there was also an alert that a repeater was noticed which *could* affect the signal. I guess the repeater is my AV.

Anyway, I changed the resolution to 1080p in my Nvidia control panel (as opposed to my PC display settings) and to my surprise I could change the resolution!!

When I then check the display settings on the PC I also see the resolution was changed to 1920x1080.

So I don't know WHY exactly but now the resolution is OK. Could have been the new drivers. Could have been changing resolution directly on teh videocard control panel.... In any case it worked..