Question No Man's Sky (NMS) problem after Windows 10 reinstall: Not using dedicated graphics

Feb 19, 2021
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone out there might be able to help me.
I've been having some issues with one specific game, No Man's Sky (NMS) since reinstalling my OS a few days ago after my system suffered a HDD failure. Before it ran smoothly, now I'm lucky if I can reach 30FPS.

My biggest issue is a peculiar slow down issue when moving around along with some input lag.
My frame rate sometimes dips to 15 but most of the time remains in the mid to high 20s throughout. This makes playing the game extremely difficult and frustrating.

I have tried all the solutions posted by the game developer, HelloGames, as well as attempting fixes recommended by the NMS community but nothing has worked. I have also used both Windows in built graphics settings and Nvidia control panel to direct NMS to be in high performance mode and use my Nvidia card. After checking my Task Manager performance tab it seems like NMS is not using my dedicated graphics card. When opening the game and monitoring the processes tab in Task Manager I saw that it momentarily used GPU 1 before reverting to GPU 0.

In order to check whether this was an issue with the card itself, I booted up another graphics intense game (Warframe) and there were no issues with the card, usage was at 60% so it seems to be an issue with No Man's Sky in particular. When I check the game settings, it says that it's using my GeForce card.

I'd really love to get back to exploring again so any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs: Dell Insperon 15 7000 Gaming, Intel i7-770HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, Intergrated: Intel HD Graphics 640, Dedicated: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 16GB RAM. Windows 10 Home version 10.0.19041

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Laptop Tech Support 1
KichiroRC Laptop Tech Support 2
TSA Laptop Tech Support 1
tsuyodrigo15 Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 3
Mirandarenee Laptop Tech Support 6
T Laptop Tech Support 5
Marshall Honorof Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
K Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 3