News No Mow May — 7 reasons to stop mowing your lawn this month

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Sometimes I think people live in completely different worlds. So, the reason people don't like wild flowers is because they're weeds that take over a pristine looking lawn. They attract insects and bugs that are a nuisance to say the least and deadly in the case of allergies to stings. Insects can also spread diseases.

Someone with a 2 acre lot, not mowing during a generally rainy month would be left with a complete disaster.

May 10, 2023
There are a couple of issues with no mow may that perhaps the author is unaware of. I appreciate that people are finally beginning to be aware of our pollinators, however, this trend may do more harm than good. Grass is a very weak species, proper mowing and lawn care prevents invasive species like clovers, crabgrass, etc from killing the grass. No mow may will lead to more weeds and once June rolls around home owners will have to buy more weed control than they would otherwise. Most of those chemicals gets washed away and pollute our water supply. It's much better for our lawns, of bee populations, and our fishy friends if everyone plants a beautiful wildflower garden in a portion of their yards to be enjoyed year-round and regularly mows the grass portions (even in May)

nduke

Honorable
Sep 8, 2017
I live in the boondocks and I can give you one reason it's very important to mow, especially when the grass is growing at it's fastest. Snakes. We have rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes and the occasional cottonmouth, and they all love to lie in wait in tall grass. I'll let the pasture sit uncut for a long time, but not the yard.

May 11, 2023
You will regret doing this! Please do some research before partaking in this ridiculous trend. Not mowing your lawn during the most rapid growth period will only result in damage to your property. The longer your grass the more infestations, including ticks, which means you and your children are far more likely to get Lyme Disease!
After not mowing for a month, your lawn mower might make it 5 feet before bogging down and dying. Save yourself the aggravation of spending June, July, and August repairing your mower, raking, bagging, and reseeding to fix this mistake!
Please, tell the truth tomsguide; mowing your lawn weekly does not hurt bees! The day tomsguide writes about 'No Spray May' they will be on the right track. Chemical granules, solvents, and bee killer aerosols are the cause of our bees demise, not lawn mowers.