No Nintendo 3DS For Your Children

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatty21

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
This is called protecting themselves from any future lawsuits. These day's its necessary to be completely out in the open with any possible health dangers imaginable. I think its cool Nintendo is being honest about this. If anything it should make parents feel good about their products, knowing there kid isn't gonna suffer from some wierd disease down the road from so much one handed rapid wrist movement via the Wii :)

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I remember hearing about the health hazards of 3D when all of these kids movies started coming out in 3D. Something about kids eyes still developing and the 3D causing them to refocus their eyes and messing with development if done over long periods of time.

SlickyFats

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]fatty21[/nom]This is called protecting themselves from any future lawsuits. These day's its necessary to be completely out in the open with any possible health dangers imaginable. I think its cool Nintendo is being honest about this. If anything it should make parents feel good about their products, knowing there kid isn't gonna suffer from some wierd disease down the road from so much one handed rapid wrist movement via the Wii[/citation]
Disease from Wii is called Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know if it's Nintendo being overprotective, but I do believe any "fake" 3D can be damaging as I have dysfunctional stereoscopic vision, but not caused by 3D.

I think the age of 6 is just them trying to play on the safe side. Stereoscopic vision is actually fully developed by the age of 5 and also very hard if not impossible to fix past that age if something is wrong. This "damage" not to the eye themselves, but the brain's visual cortex.

Having the visual cortex adapting to this "fake" 3D prior to the full development of stereoscopic vision could therefore teach it "false" adaptive mechanism that you won't be able to change later on.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
+1 to Nintendo for sharing this info not matter how much it may hurt their sales. Really nice to see them caring about our well being :)

rubix_1011

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2007
Isn't the DS one of their biggest selling items? ...and to the youth age group? Why not continue to milk that cash-cow instead of trying to focus on an older age group that likely won't be interested in playing Pokemon in 3D?

charlesdjones1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
while this news is disappointing for millions of 6 year olds out there, it's not going to keep me from getting one when it comes out. for those parents who think that xbox and sony are a good alternative to nintendo for your kids, you must not care a whole lot in the first place about what your kids are playing anyway...

2real

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]charlesdjones1[/nom]while this news is disappointing for millions of 6 year olds out there, it's not going to keep me from getting one when it comes out. for those parents who think that xbox and sony are a good alternative to nintendo for your kids, you must not care a whole lot in the first place about what your kids are playing anyway...[/citation]
you know all those awkward kids out there? that's the result of letting your kids play nintendo games

charlesdjones1

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
... because we all know your kids playing Modern Warfare 2 is a great alternative to playing Mario Kart, right? It's your kids, not mine is all I can say.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Whoa. Insecure Nintendo haters reign in this thread. It's good for a laugh, anyhow.
I don't see a great problem in all of this - they provide the 3D lock to disable playing in 3D.

When the time comes, I'd prefer to just have the 3D turned off. Only time I'll have it on is when people want a demo of it.

dillyflump

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
There was an article on the news or tv a few months back in the uk, saying that children shouldn't watch 3DTV for long periods of time if they were under the age of 5 or something. Apparently until your over the age of 5 you javen't fully developed your sense of depth perception properly and watching 3dtv at a young age can damage the development. Im guessing this applies to the new 3DS aswell.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
What's with the title, really? lol

Anyway, a parent getting a portable console for his 6- (minus) years old son/daughter is pretty dumb IMO. That warning SHOULD BE redundant, but since Nintendo believes in world/parents stupidity and lawsuits, there you have it. They also say it only applies to 3D, not "regular" play.

Cheers!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]charlesdjones1[/nom]... because we all know your kids playing Modern Warfare 2 is a great alternative to playing Mario Kart, right? It's your kids, not mine is all I can say.[/citation]
My 5 year old nephew loves to play Postal 2 on my desktop PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.