Question No 'OEM' option in developer options on Samsung Galaxy A53 5G

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
I recently bought the Samsung Galaxy A53 off amazon (unlocked, refurbished) for the intention of rooting the phone (first time trying to root). I heard this phone was a good candidate for rooting. However, when I enable the developer options I don't see an OEM unlock option. After some searching I saw that a carrier can still block OEM access on a phone if they want to so I'm guessing this was the case (since I bought the phone used, refurbished). My questions are:

1. Is there still a way to enable OEM unlock to try and root the phone?

2. If there is not, what phone is my best bet for rooting? Do I need to purchase it straight from the manufacturer to ensure root access has not been blocked? I heard the OnePlus phones are easy to unlock in general (and that attempting to root doesn't void your warranty)

CParsons

Estimable
Staff member
Dec 4, 2019
If you think the carrier is at fault, just take the SIM card out. Most of the carrier provisioning disappears when the SIM card is out, especially if it is an factory unlocked device. As for best phone for rooting, that would be a Pixel bought directly from Google. Do you have any specific reason for wanting to root a device? Unless you have a specific reason, rooting hasn't really been necessary in years.

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
If you think the carrier is at fault, just take the SIM card out. Most of the carrier provisioning disappears when the SIM card is out, especially if it is an factory unlocked device. As for best phone for rooting, that would be a Pixel bought directly from Google. Do you have any specific reason for wanting to root a device? Unless you have a specific reason, rooting hasn't really been necessary in years.
I will try the sim card thing to see if that makes a difference. Ya, I also heard the pixel is a good one to root. Is there a specific model to get or will any google pixel phone do? And ya, I want to modify the host file which from my understanding can only be done by first rooting the phone