No optical sound

dwnecrid

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Hey i was wondering/hoping if someone on here would be able to help me out.

Hardware:
HT Omega claro +
STR-DN610
Windows 7

Im not really sure what else i would need to list but ill be more than willing to add on to it.

So for the last year or so ive been running a HDMI cable from my pc to the receiver perfectly. I remembered earlier this week i had a optical cable still sitting around so i decided to try to hook it up so i can play around with the sound more than i could. Which was only the setting that were on the receiver.
Ive hooked the optical cable into the out of the sound card and into the SAT in. Changed the setting on the receiver along with the pc to optical for the correct channels but i still get no sound. I get sound as soon as i switch it back to hdmi.
My only thought at this point is it might be due to the hdmi cable still being plugged in. Which i dont see why that would mess with it :(

Any and all help is extremely awesome

Thank you, Dw

It is possible that you need to change setting in the audio driver to shift the sound to the optical output. When you plug in the HDMI that can automatically send both audio and video to that connection and shut down the optical. In any case there is no advantage in using the optical input instead of the HDMI. Any adjustments you want to make in the receiver should be applicable to HDMI as well as optical.

dwnecrid

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
I have done that already. I am unable to use the equalizer on my pc due to the hdmi coming from my gpu and not my sound card where all the settings are. The reason im wanting optical is because i can then dick around with all the settings. The receiver has very little settings, just 'distance' and 'trebal/bass db' which is nothing really useful for me :/