No sound coming from headphones after format. Satellite p755-s5269

Allen S

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Greetings! I have an issue with my Toshiba laptop at the moment. So about 2 weeks ago, my stock Toshiba hard drive failed on me. Toshiba told me the process of making a Windows installation disk and then using the key on the bottom of my laptop to get Windows 7 Home Premium. So i did just that. I was enthralled after realizing I wouldn't have anymore Toshiba crapware on my laptop, but that means I have to install all of the drivers manually. No big deal for me really. So I installed all of the drivers and I thought everything worked until I plugged my headphones in. No sound comes out of them! I installed the Realtek audio driver and it recognizes that a device is plugged in. The window pops up after plugging in my headphones. However, I played the test sounds and nothing comes out. Even the little diagram on the right side of the screen recognizes a device is plugged in, but no sound. I also have OpenSUSE 12.3 installed (dual-boot) and the headphones work on there. In Device Manager, it says that there is something missing, but under "Other devices" is lists and "Unknown device". It is present even when the headphones are not in the laptop. I don't know what else to try. Thanks for anyone who helps!

Solution
I was trying to find infrared driver for your laptop in Win7 section but could not find it also. So, unless you find it (win8 drivers obviously not working) simply disable that device in device manager if you don't plan to use it.

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Hi.

Can you go under device manager, find that unknow device, click properties and then details... it should have some nubmers ""dev43id332."" something like that.. provide that detail and will see what is it.

Hi :)

You ARE trying to install the CORRECT drivers you had before... ?

Either 32 bit or 64 bit..... ?

You cannot mix and match both...

All the best Brett :)

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Found the issue. You are trying to install windows 8 drivers according to Setup.ini, that's way it wont work.

Open that .exe file with 7-zip or winrar or whatever compression tool you have and extract folder called WIN8 x64 or 32 whichever you are using and update drivers manually.

Hi :)

Nope you are wrong...

there is 32 and 64 bit drivers for BOTH 7 and 8...

I repeat my question....

All the best Brett :)

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Do you know how to decompress .exe file? Open it with winrar. Inside you'll see folder Win8_64 and Win8_32.

If you are using 32 bit windows then extract that folder on desktop, if it is 64 bit windows then extract 64 folder out.

Go to device manager, right click on device and select update drivers. Select "browse my computer"" and point it to folder you extracted to desktop.

Allen S

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I extracted the Win8_64 folder to my desktop(just the folder) and it says "Unable to install your Unknown Device". I pointed the destination to the folder.

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I was trying to find infrared driver for your laptop in Win7 section but could not find it also. So, unless you find it (win8 drivers obviously not working) simply disable that device in device manager if you don't plan to use it.

Solution

Allen S

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

I disabled it. Hopefully this should work.

Allen S

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Okay yeah, disabling the infrared worked. My headphones produce sounds now! Okay, this has been solved, but I do have a question not specific to this subject. Why does the infrared drivers cause so many problems? I have had lots of issues in the past that were solved by disabling infrared. Why?