No sound from subwoofer issue with Pioneer VSX-830-K AVR.

Estrostra_2040

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014
I have a polk audio TL1600 5.1 speaker set paired with a pioneer vsx-830-k avr and I'm having an issue with the subwoofer. My speaker setup sounds great after doing the full auto eq setup. The subwoofer works for a few hours and then no bass comes from it. It will work again after I turn the receiver off and leave it off for a few hours, I have not kept track but I think it's about 4 hours of being off. I can tell when there is no bass because the front left and right, center, and back surrounds sound flat. In the avr settings, subwoofer is set to yes, and speakers are set small. So thats not the problem. I could check if one of the speaker(s) wires are connected backwards. Could the incorrect polarity of a speaker cause an issue with the sub?

My subwoofer's volume dial on the back is at 50%, with +1.0 dB set on the avr. Also the subwoofer has Left and Right connectors using a Y-cable connected to the avr. The power switch has on, auto, and off. Right now it is set to "on", where it's on all the time. Should I switch it to "auto", which automatically turns the sub on when it senses a signal and turns off if no signal is present after 15 minutes.

Please help.

Solution
Guess that should be it then. ^_^ Always make sure all connections are tight, and completely in. If you're not sure of a cable, exchange it with another and test again.

Too tight isn't good either, because tight "monster" cables often "eat" the plug (break them) because they're too tight.
Hello.

I would first test your subwoofer itself. Simply connect it to an RCA audio source, such as a DVD or TV box, with a single or dual RCA cable. If it doesn't cut off after 4 hours, then your Pioneer VSX is the issue.

If it does cut off after a few hours, even when connected elsewhere, then your issue is the powered subwoofer itself. I suggest you bring it to a trained technician, as modern subwoofer amps are rather...compact and hard to diagnostic.

Thanks for the complete description of your problem.
I would guess that the subwoofer amplifier is overheating. I don't think setting it to auto will help but there is no reason not to try it.
Polk has good customer service and fair prices for replacement amp assemblies. It's not hard to install.

The subwoofer output is completely independent of the speakers in your amplifier, so no, incorrect polarity would not cause an issue with the sub.

Reverse the polarity! works only in science fiction....and when the issue is weird sound, not a complete shutdown. ^^

Estrostra_2040

Estimable
Jul 7, 2014
I think I solved my subwoofer issue, I checked the back of the audio receiver and saw that one of the banana-plugs were half way pulled out of the terminal. Then I pushed the subwoofer cable as hard I could on the sub pre-out, it might not have been connected all the way to the sub pre-out. I have one of those Mediabridge 8' cable that required more pressure than usual to keep the cable snug, to keep the cable from popping off. Then I kept the audio receiver on all day and all evening and the subwoofer never dropped out ounce.

Guess that should be it then. ^_^ Always make sure all connections are tight, and completely in. If you're not sure of a cable, exchange it with another and test again.

Too tight isn't good either, because tight "monster" cables often "eat" the plug (break them) because they're too tight.

Solution