Status
Not open for further replies.

ASarc

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Hello guys,

Straight into the problem this this time,

i've been having way more problems then i had hoped to have.
i've hooked up my Harman Kardon AVR 430 to my tv and my playstation 3.
i've got a 5.1 setup; 2 front, 1 center, 2 surround and 1 sub. (yes there all connected right)
When i play a movie or play a game then i hear sound comming from all speakers. But when i try and use a dolby digital 5.1 surround test i hear only the front speakers.

When i looked into this i saw on the display panel of my reciever the surround mode switched. This happens shortly after my ps3 starts up.

(i tried uploading two images of how my display looks as no one seems to get it, but it seems like i can't)

When i start the ps3 the AVR automaticly switches to:
------------------------video1/opt1------------------------------[L] [c] [R]
-----------Dolby digital (switches to->) 3/2/.1 ex-off--------[LFE]
---------------------------------------------------------------------[SL] [SR]

But almost directly after that it switches to:

------------------------video1/opt1------------------------------[L] [ ] [R]
-----------------------Dolby digital-----------------------------------[ ]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------[ ] [ ]

When i play a surround test i hear the L perfectly, i hear the C perfectly and i hear the R perfectly.
But when the rest comes it all comes from L or R.
When i play a normal game the Sl and Sr work fine, just not surround, it switches to logic 7 or something. which is not surround.

The ps3 sound setup is all done correctly. it's set to optical, on
dolby digital 5.1, dts 5.1, linear PCM 2 ch. 44.1 kHz.

i'm doing something wrong so please help me.
If you need more information then just ask me. by now i've read the whole manual twice and still haven't figured it out.

Optical can only carry 2.1 uncompressed, compressed simulated 5.1/7.1.

True/discrete surround 5.1 and etc can only be had by analog,HDMI and display port.

I should of said Logic 7 is a HK thing so I'm not sure why the AVR is switching.

Your post is a bit confusing also. You're saying that when gaming you can hear from all speakers but in the Dolby test the front mains are are repeating the the SL and SR speakers?

Yah, read through the manual twice myself, sounds like configuring issues which you all ready know!. Page 30 on the PDF manual might be our answer. I'm tired. hehe

link: http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/AVR430_OM_EN.pdf

ASarc

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Thats not true as i have already asked this question and both my own research and answers from others have and also rl tests. Optical can carry 5.1 normally

I can send you multiple links that optical can only send 2.1 compressed audio and only uncompressed simulated 5.1/7.1. Optical can't do true/discrete surround sound(5.1 and above) due to the limited bandwidth. A simple wiki search will tell you that. Maybe you don't understand the difference between simulated and real surround. Search around for that and then you will understand.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Happy true/discrete surround listening, the Prisoner...

ASarc

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012
Oke so we are either talking about something different.. or your just full of it.
Because i just figured out with i had no surround sound and fixed it.

I'm still using optical cables and i'm getting non simulated 5.1 surround sound.
I also search and it says optical cables CAN carry 5.1 and 7.1
So you can say it's not true all you want.. but i'm still getting true surround sound with an optical cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.