News No, the Nvidia RTX 3080 didn’t just kill the PS5 and Xbox Series X

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 17, 2020
Reminder: the 9700 will not let you overclock your CPU, which becomes increasingly important as you get to the higher tiers of cpus. my 8700k is a joke on defaults imo at this point, yet properly oc'd I can outperform it without hyper threading at its defaults with hyper threading; and if i do a hyper threaded OC, it's (hotter) but does incredibly well, only limited by the inefficacy of parallel threads and number of cores.

Would suggest upgrading both even further; go for a 10850k and a new mobo and a 3070 or something. (mind you, that also means upgrading your motherboard!), which would easily future proof you for quite a while to come, depending on your PSU.

I don't find 60fps at 144hz refresh rate acceptable at all personally lol
I upgraded to a i7-9700k. To go to 10th gen I would have had to upgrade my mobo (which if I did that I would have gone AMD). The cool thing is that I was able to sell my i5-9400f for just $35.00 less than what I paid for it a year ago even after tax and shipping on ebay. Not bad considering when I bought the i5 the i7-9700k was closer to $400 and I picked it up for $289.00. So really, the upgrade cost me only about $289 + 35 - 115 = $209. Adding back the original costs of the i5 minus the recouped cost I come out to about $324.00 for the i7, still about $60 less than where it was priced a year ago. The 9th gen i7, is plenty for the 3070 and its even enough for the 3080, I don't care about losing 4 or 5 fps @ 1080p compared to the latest and greatest. It should be at least 3 to 4 years before I'll need to upgrade my CPU. Most games will be built to run on the home consoles which run at locked 3.8 Ghz at the highest. My i7-9700k runs at a constant 4.6 Ghz in game and doesn't break 62C. And of course I have the option to overclock the processor in the future.

So I'm good getting one of the new GPUs from Nvidia or from AMD. They're blazing fast, but the i7-9700k is up to the task so far in all the benchmarks. I'll be able to sell my GPU for at least $200, probably a bit more. So my total upgrade should cost less than the price of a PS5 or XSX.

Dec 4, 2020
Fast forward to December, now we have the full facts. It isn't the 3070 which kills the PS5 and Xbox, it's the 3060 Ti. The only reason to stick with consoles now is if you're an Xbox user wanting that sweet backwards compatibility with a huge library you've acquired over many years.

Let's examine the PS5 and how "cheap" it is:
  1. Base console cost is £449 for the ability to play all your previous-gen games
  2. £60 for a second controller (and all the rest as the non-replaceable batteries degrade)
  3. £50 per year cost for the privilege of online play, which adds £350 over a 7 year lifecycle
  4. To store more than a handful of games, you're gonna want storage (~£300 for 2TB NVMe)
Put together, that's the cost of a whole gaming rig. Even if one gets a new console a year or two in, not much changes.

Someone with half-decent hardware that's less than 5 years old can just throw in an RTX 3060 for £369 and they're all sorted.

Sep 6, 2020
We didn't need to wait until December. We knew. Console peasantry is at an all time high ... 'What would gamers DO with ALL THIS EXTRA POWER???'

Oh wait, I know... maybe have several posts about market share and claim +/- ~6% and one is NICHE... Get outa here with that GED analysis. No one is hiring that guy at Goldmans.

PS5 'Enhanced' games... Is this real?

Stop making peasant comparisons and just game how you want to game, but stop with the ridiculous comparisons, of COURSE you get what you pay for.. and some of us don't consider $3000 a huge investment into gaming... if you figure a realistic lifespan of a PC 5 years its $50/mo... Many gamers spend that on fast food, fedoras, and waifu pillows.. cmon....

So just stop it.. if you like your couch and TV thats cool, no hate.. but stop with the #fakenews.