Nokia and Microsoft Announce Phone Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
oh i remember when you had to have a nokia or your phone was terrible... the bad cheap plastic cases and peopel replacing antenas with glowing balls.... glad we're past those days

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
And I thought Nokia could displace HTC as the luxury high end Android phone maker....guess they chose the path of the dark side.....

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
"...Nokia could not differentiate itself in the Android market"
Nokia joining with the unfavorite WinOS is a sure way to differentiate itself from the rest. You put yourself in the negative side while the others in the positive side.

shine82

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Dear Nokia it was good knowing you. I remember the good old days with my first Ringo telephone, my first 8210, my first banana nokia 8110 from the matrix 1, and meny more.
Thank you for all the good times we have had. R.I.P Nokia you could have been the best but you choose otherwise. Iam now a Android HTC Desire HD user and dont regret 1 second of it.
AFL = Android For Life

sseyler

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
[citation][nom]opmopadop[/nom]I guess Im the only one that thinks this is a good idea. Oh well, flame me silly then.[/citation]

No, you're not. I personally don't have extreme opinions one way or another. I don't think the fact that Nokia went with the Windows mobile platform is enough information to judge future success. It all depends on how well they carry out the advantages of the partnership. It may work, it may not.

People are too quick to stamp down their opinion without so much as a few minutes of critical thinking. Too much a priori justification based on emotion followed by conscious rationalization of that emotion.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Don't understand this overly negative reaction to WP7. It works well and has a great UI. This is definitely an improvement for Nokia and can very well work out well for both sides. I wouldn't see them making much of a splash in the Android market and think WP7 would be their best bet at rebuilding its brand following.

jimsocks

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Get android and just be another part of the pack? Screw that. Phones that never get updated. Google who doesn't understand costumer service. Screw that. Still no gpu acceleration. More competition the better. Get Google off their asses and set some standards. Only reason to buy an android phone is to root with some roms made by the community.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Good move by Nokia imo. I'll buy one of their winp7 devices as soon as they're out on the market. My N95 is getting to be very long in the tooth now.

Also they're planning to continue MeeGo development. If they live up to that promise they may still come out on top. In the meantime this highly benefits Microsoft as Nokia's brand is recognized worldwide and will definitely push the MS platform in a huge way.

And to all the comments about "bye by Nokia nice knowing you" do you realize that there are already Samsung, HTC and etc. devices out on the market? Do you think those companies are going to go away now because they produced win 7 devices?

G

Why doesn't Nokia become a hardware partner with both?
That strategy seems to work for HTC, Samsung and LG among others.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
If they would have been smart they would have bought Palm when it was cheap and completely dumped MeeGo and Symbian. Can you imagine Nokia's hardware combined with WebOS and Palm's intellectual property.

I know! I know! The management then, would have just dumped WebOS and added it's bits and pieces to Symbian.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
What a sad day for Nokia, and a waste of all that open-source work on Maemo and Meego. A lot of people will be put out on the street. For years Nokia stood by idly watching the market, indecisive of which way to go... They could have given birth to "Android" for crying out loud, way before Google even thought about that. And now they will become a Microsoft slave, lose whatever originality they still had left and end up with that generic drab interface. Of course the signs were there ever since that Microsoft shill became CEO... I just hope they can still continue some work behind closed doors and maybe one day have some decent *original* devices – after all, if HP can do it with webOS, Nokia might still have enough good people left to pump out something better and more open than that Microsoft stuff. Unless of course Microsoft has already gobbled up most of the company... We all know that companies in bed with Microsoft end up getting screwed in any way possible. Bah.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]theduke[/nom]Don't understand this overly negative reaction to WP7. It works well and has a great UI. This is definitely an improvement for Nokia and can very well work out well for both sides. I wouldn't see them making much of a splash in the Android market and think WP7 would be their best bet at rebuilding its brand following.[/citation]

But where do you go from there? You have lost the know-how of building interfaces, you are tied to Microsoft, and have lost your identity. Like Microsoft is going to somehow allow Linux/Maemo/Meego development to continue full force in Nokia... It's a dead end street, even much more so than Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.