Nokia Developing "Revolutionary" Phone to Shame iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I doubt they have a heads up display ready. Therefore I'd say they are talking about hands free voice communications when they talk about using with your "head up".

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
They always say that. iDevice killer this and that. Always fun to read about it however I for what would really like to see Nokia get their legs back under em and compete. I personally like Nokia a good bit and they use to have some really cutting edge designs. I hope they really release the mother of all smartphones and if it is what they say it is I will purchase it ASAP.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Lumia 900, is slated to hit AT&T's network sometime around the end of April for just $99.99 USD (and a two-year commitment). The upcoming gadget will sport a 4.3-inch 800 x 400 AMOLED touchscreen housed in a gorgeous polycarbonate unibody. Other features include a 1.3MP front-facing camera, an 8MP rear-facing camera, a 1.4 GHz single-core SoC, 512 MB of RAM, 16 GB of internal storage and more.

Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology. Single core, low ram, low res screen. As much as I would like to see Windows 8 phones do well, low spec phones keep me away. I'll keep buying high tech Android and iPhones instead.

_TuxUser_

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
I doubt there will be anything of excitement in a WP8 cellphone, the hardware support almost non-existing and features are crippled like the bluetooth where you can't even make file transfers which you can do with all other bluetooth equipped Nokia phone except Lumia.

Unless they do as T Ahonen suggests, drop WP and release MeGoo based devices and then Nokia will be back in the game (just see how N9 outsells Lumia and the N9 has a limited marked where it's marketed compare to Lumia).

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
"Lumia" means prostitute in Spanish (but you probably knew that already if you followed tech news), yet they're still thinking about launching another one in April. Oh, Nokia...

manicm

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Actually I'm not a fan of iOS and copycat Android - I find the swiping very annoying, especially on the home page to navigate across the next page of apps. That actually is poor design. And iOS user interface is getting a bit long in the tooth isn't it?

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Even if they succeed in pulling off the best interface ever, It still won't be an iPhone killer. Apple just has too much (deserved and undeserved) mind share.

Comparing your products to apple mobile devices is almost a sure way of ensuring failure...even for a great device

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology. Single core, low ram, low res screen. As much as I would like to see Windows 8 phones do well, low spec phones keep me away. I'll keep buying high tech Android and iPhones instead.[/citation]

My company bought Lumias, and even with single core, low mem ect as you say it performs well is all daily tasks and is rock stable, the wp7 UI is very well designed and easy to use and for the price the phone goes for its a bargain for any business. Before i got the hands of the Lumia i thought it would be crap but are happily surprised. It brought back my faith in Nokia that had been degrading in the past years.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Classzero[/nom]Nokia seems to be counting on retro technology. Single core, low ram, low res screen. As much as I would like to see Windows 8 phones do well, low spec phones keep me away. I'll keep buying high tech Android and iPhones instead.[/citation]
Dialing back the hardware could mean one of two things, perhaps both. 1) The OS won't need the excessive hardware to run it. 2) Longer battery life.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]whiteodian[/nom]"We need to give people their head up again." HUD display maybe. Something like the google glasses?[/citation]

Bionic contact lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.