Nokia N900 Will Soon be Able to Dual-Boot MeeGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Nice to see the giant wants to learn how to crawl, before it tries to run & hurt itself. People are even making fun of the logo & that's before the giant even tried to take it's first steps. There are bound to be a lot of enthusiasts, dare devils, & curious cats. Some will get hurt, but all will learn from those who didn't go too far &/or bricked their phone.

G

@liveonc:

If you "brick it", then flash it again and it works. Both flasher and "firmware" can be downloaded for free.

juuh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
[citation][nom]proletarian[/nom]i'd much prefer to be able to install it and remove maemo. maemo's buggy as hell.[/citation]
Right, i have the actual device right next to me and i use it on daily basis. Have "tons" of applications installed to it too. Really stable platform. I have no complaints so I really don't know what you are talking about...

proletarian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
[citation][nom]juuh[/nom]Right, i have the actual device right next to me and i use it on daily basis. Have "tons" of applications installed to it too. Really stable platform. I have no complaints so I really don't know what you are talking about...[/citation]

ok well firstly there's calls, someone rings you and you have to hit ANSWER like 12 times before it registers

Typing numbers is sometimes an awkward affair as sometimes double tapping FN does not lock FN on, moreover, hitting FN and then a number stll results in the letter coming up

Sometimes stopping alarms is impossible without a battery pull.

and

the one that annoys me most, and just happened while i was typing this:
Typed input lags, it stops at the word ALARM for example, me thinking iMve typed the whole sentence as i'm not looking at the screen only to find the words did not come out at all or came out garbled.

there's also the quick tap on an app being recognised as a long tap - i try to open angry birds and get hit with the option to move the bloody icon.

then there's the email and web apps crashing constantly.

then there's the "application not responding" popping up over zealously when an app is actually working fine.

the phone cannot display GIF images.

the music player has no option to lock down the Shuffle setting but does allow you to lock Repeat in.

----
Shall i go on or are you prepared to stop defending Maemo as if you wrote it?
i love my n900 but maemo lets it down badly, i'm patiently waiting for meego or nitdroid to be ready so i can escape this crappy software.

hrrmph

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Answering calls: no problem, just hit the on-screen button

The quick tap on an app being recognized as a long tap: definitely an annoying problem

Crashes: rare on the N900, but my beloved (and lost / stolen after 8 years) Nokia 6310i never crashed once

Application not responding message: Haven't seen it once

GIF: Bewildered. What is the practical purpose or advantage of that format over jpg? Or is the issue just that other people are publishing in GIF?

-----------------------------------------------

The biggest thing I lost moving to the smartphone era (via the N900) was one handed operation. The 6310i was a dream to operate as a phone compared to this (and in my opinion, any slab of button-less glass is going to be hard to use as a phone).

The biggest thing I gained is the ability to browse the internet almost anytime anyplace. Home router Wi-Fi ISP down? 3G works well as a backup. Out of home router Wi-Fi range? Other hotspots or 3G is available most of the time. The ability to browse helps fill in dead, otherwise unproductive time (waiting rooms, departure lounges, etc.)

The screen resolution is very good. It's a pleasure to view. Most other phones are still playing catch up.

The 3.5in screen is cramped. Needs to be a 4in screen. A foldout double screen of 7 inches, using 2 x 3.5in screens would be even better.

Flash works. The browser works. I've noticed no significant difference between the Mozilla browser on the N900 and FireFox on the PC.

The type size used in the contacts list and phone app is too small. They are clearly rendered due to the high screen resolution, but they are too tiny to easily read the phone numbers.

proletarian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Blackberry? christ on a bike.... i had the 8900 curve once, best music player i ever found inside a mobile phone, other than that, pathetic devices with poor browsing and txt input.

The N900 is a fantastic phone, i still have mine and so does the missus (she has the same niggles as me) so we're both waiting patiently for better software. bring it on kids.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]hanssen_dk[/nom]@liveonc:If you "brick it", then flash it again and it works. Both flasher and "firmware" can be downloaded for free.[/citation]

I can't comment on flashing a Nokia, since I've never tried. But flashing a Windows Phone only requires power failure, bluescreen, or other interruptions to brick. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.